JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For one let me state that I am a supporter of open carry. As long as a person is just going about their day, I do not have an issue with it after all it is right guaranteed by the Constitution.

I also believe a person should not have to ID themselves to police if they have not commuted a crime or a ticketed offence. But if an officer has a valid reason for needing your information and explains his cause for the request or order, you should comply, verbally object if you want but comply.

Up for discussion is a post about a man, who IMHO just seemed bat crap crazy to act the way he did to officers.

I do not agree though with their belief that they had a right to steal his property for 24 hours or so when no citations or charges were issued.

What do you think?

63 year old Open Carry Advocate Acts A Fool After Jaywalking

http://junkyarddog911.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-not-to-act-when-you-open-carry.html

But if an officer has a valid reason for needing your information and explains his cause for the request or order, you should comply, verbally object if you want but comply.

Name and date of birth is all you legally have to give to an officer.

That video looks like that man wanted to get paid...he's acting like a tool and I wish someone would have just walked up and smaked him upside the head.

This type of behavior only hurts the pro-gun side. But this guy seems like a complete nut job and probably shouldn't have that gun in the first place. Certainly the Mothers against 2nd amendment rights for law abiding citizens will probably circulate this video as indicative of the "typical gun owning NRA member".

From my point of view: open carry is not worth getting eye balled or getting stopped by every minute.

To be honest, too many keyboard commando's are out there. :p

Main_Chairborne_grande.jpg?v=1402340120

In my opinion if you open carry you should expect to get stopped/ cops called on you so if that happens you should always ALWAYS for the sake of every 2nd A loving person be polite, be respectful, and comply with whatever they say. Objecting is good, but comply. You will do more for yourself and everyone else by taking your fight to court and making that public, instead of being an idiot causing a scene and thus giving the LEOs a reason to hassle you, take your weapon, and /or charge you. All your doing is giving ammo to the other side and making LEOs hate 2nd A users.
LEOs have always and will always reflect the attitude their given and meet any force or possible intent of force with greater force. That's how they stay safe and stay alive.

But there will always be a leo hating sob that jst wants to pick a fight and think that he knows the law better than everyone else.

In my opinion i'd almost always be on the leos side.

Just saw on the news that a small open carry group gathered at Esther Short Park in Vancouver, WA at the location of a Brady Group gathering. The news is reporting that the OC folks and the Brady folks were all well behaved and even found some room for agreement. I didn't see any OC long guns, just pistols on belts. Looks like the kind of event that helps us all. Props to the OC folks that did this today.

Just saw on the news that a small open carry group gathered at Esther Short Park in Vancouver, WA at the location of a Brady Group gathering. The news is reporting that the OC folks and the Brady folks were all well behaved and even found some room for agreement. I didn't see any OC long guns, just pistols on belts. Looks like the kind of event that helps us all. Props to the OC folks that did this today.

Here's an article about it. Pretty balanced reporting too. http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/jun/17/gun-control-backers-foes-rally-on-opposing-sides-o/

I don't know of any study that supports the premise of the ASK movement mentioned in the article. I wonder if they researched the idea first.

Balanced or not it was factual errors that definitely were in favor of the opposition. First the way our numerical system works 591 comes before 594. Also 594 is about eliminating private party sales not adding background checks to online and gun show sales, because those sales already require background checks.

Can someone please add those corrections to the comments section? I'd love to but my Facebook is acting up.

I saw the Mac Arms blog on this, the guy was a nutter.

Holding the rifle is not the same as OC, it should have been 'holstered' (strapped correctly to the back or shoulder)
On top of the fact he wasn't complying, even when given the reason (jaywalking) even if it was a probable cause reason.

Non of this helps our cause, that's for sure, we need intelligence/smart people doing this in the right way, not the 'blow it out your bubblegum' way that seems popular with the morons out there.

This guy is lucky he didn't get tazed or worse. Failing to comply with a lawful order while holding a loaded rifle? Someone in this man's family needs to look into his mental health, as actions like that could get him killed.
I'm not necessarily against open carry in all situations, but guys who are trying to make points by carrying AR's, AK's, SKS's and the like aren't helping their cause (open carry) and they aren't helping gun rights in general. There are better ways to get laws changed than to parade around trying to get shock and awe from people. All that does is divide our cause and push fence sitters over to the wrong side. We need to impress on people that as gun owners, we are more rational and logical than the opposition. This doesn't do that, rather it seems to imply the opposite.

At an open carry gathering sure I can see the rifle in public view. Otherwise what is the point. I only open carry when I am fishing, camping, and deep in the woods with things like bears and mt lions that scare me more than people do as far as their ability to get the drop on me.
Why would you not want your gun to have the element of surprise? When I reach for my wallet and to a bad guys surprise a pistol comes out instead I think I stand a better chance than instantly being told "toss your gun". Just my opinion. I am all for open carry but there is a time and a place for everything and unfortunately guys like this just ruin things for people packing that do have common sense.
Make a peaceful scene at the capitol or city hall with a group...not on your own to prove how cocky and stupid you are.

Name and date of birth is all you legally have to give to an officer.

In 1968 the US Supreme Court upheld a decision called the "Terry Stop". In that ruling, ANY LEO can ask you for ID at any time for any reason and you are obligated to comply. I had an Auburn city cop tell me that a few years ago.

Screw weeping for the future. I weep for the here and now. There is a large majority of folks that don't even have two brain cells to rub together.

You know, you want to OC, great! Do it. Do it respectfully. Do it humbly. Do it with an eye of care and concern not only for yourself but for those around you. Minds are changed through subtle, finessed guidance and demonstration. Not through in your face bravado and asshattery. ESPECIALLY WHEN DEALING WITH SOMETHING THAT HAS A VERY ENSCONCED NEGATIVE IMAGE AMONG A LARGE SECTION OF THE POPULATION!!

Thanks though to the guys who strike "Cool Guy" poses in the Chipotle and to the dweeb shown in this thread and many others :rolleyes:, thanks for making our jobs harder. Thanks for screwing this up for the rest of us who are actually trying to make a difference.

You try to act like Billy Bad-bubblegum and your rights with evaporate. You antagonize LEO and give them a reason to act your ability to breathe could evaporate.

On the other hand I will extend a heartfelt thanks to the folks that showed up at the gathering in Vancouver. They did it right. No fuss, no drama, no antagonizing. Just a calm collected group making a fine point in a respectful, helpful way.

From my point of view: open carry is not worth getting eye balled or getting stopped by every minute.

To be honest, too many keyboard commando's are out there. :p

View attachment 91086
Sweet baby Jesus, this patch is hilarious!!

Chair borne ranger, chairborne ranger where have you been?

Around the FOB and back again!

Chair borne ranger, chairborne ranger what did ya do?

Shuffled some papers for me and you!

Good job

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews