JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The latest addition has been the PT-1911, and, so far anyway, it has been a joy. Unlike the Kimber Custom 1911
Congratulations, you report a pleasurable experience totally 180 degrees out of synch with my own. The PT1911 my son bought, suffered from every imaginable failure including rusting and pitting of their 'stainless' model, before he got it out of the box, 3 weeks after purchase. It took 8 trips to the range before stuff quit falling off. Even Taurus Themselves didn't want it back. It took the skills of a 40-year in business-Old-School real gunsmith to get it running. On the other hand, the Kimber Custom Target I bought in 1995 has remained 100% reliable and is consistently the most accurate 1911 in my ever morphing collection.. It has scored better than Colt Gold Cup, Sig 1911, Dan Wesson CBob, and Springfield, among others. "Vive la difference".

Well all I can say is your report is 180degrees from mine as well. I am glad your Kimber worked, mine was literally unuseable. To call the Kimber I bought "junk", is a gross understatement. Period. Go talk to any professional pistolsmiths that works on 1911s and ask them for their opinion of Kimber. Sure you will get the usual run around about how they work on anything, blah, blah, blah, nothing is a bad gun blah, blah, etc. But then start asking what they recommend and do not recommend. Kimber comes right at the bottom of what they recommend or like to work on.

Possibly Kimber was sold and improvements made in the last few years, I don't know, don't care. The one I ordered (for a Christmas present, at about the same time you bought yours) was junk. Kimber told me tough luck, you bought junk, 8-10 weeks turn around time, probably longer. When the trigger pull was reduced by what felt like half (it was unmeasurable with anything anyone could figure out to use), it was a measured 35lb 6oz! The uncut extractor and casting flaws and other stuff should never have left the factory. I have never seen, to this day, a Kimber 1911 that worked out of the box, or a Kimber mag that worked (pretty much at all) out of the box. Does not mean they are not out there, just that I, and no one at my club, has ever seen one, including the nationally known pistolsmith at my club.

Sure, some Kimber mags do "work" with some (or a lot of) tweaking or TLC, but I don't carry "needs tweaked/work" mags for anything but target practice, which is why I only buy/use CMC mags now, at least they work out of the box, for me anyway. I have met/can find a lot of Kimber owners who had the same experience as I have, but they just figure they got shafted and will catch hell from the stupid if they say anything, so don't.

Look at S&W and the quality control issues they have gone through since the 1960s to 2020. And yeah, a guy I know just bought a new .22 S&W revolver about 6 weeks ago and it is junk and failed in the first cylinder full and had to be returned. Seen a lot of new S&W's fail out of the box. Look at the S&W M-29 of any era, they fail regularly. I can't remember now if it was Skeeter Skelton or Massad Ayoob who said they were huge fans of the M-29 and had three, one to shoot, one going to the factory, and one coming back from the factory. That was not a joke.

The Taurus PT1911 I bought (yes, stainless) has been excellent (so far) and if you claim yours was bad, well I will not cast aspersions on you, as I've seen a HUGE amount of junk guns from a lot of (so-called) "top line" companies come in that were garbage and had to be returned to the factory (no Winchesters yet however, Remington and the old Marlins were great too, as were Savage. Or maybe we just got lucky) after being pulled out of the box and checked before being put out. More that refused to work and were returned by customers, such as Ruger, Henry, etc. So are Ruger and Henry guns bad? Of course not. Are their repair services good? Not that I have seen!

ANY mechanical item can fail, junk can always get out past QC, but it is what the factory does AFTER they get caught is what I am concerned about. GUN TEST Mag seems to run into a few guns (FAR less than I see, however) that don't work and have to be returned to the factory, and usually seem to get them repaired/replace FAR more often than I do, but maybe they are just lucky too.

it is what the factory does AFTER they get caught is what I am concerned about.
yes, there is a point that concern all of us.

Add the famed KelTek P32 issues. On it's actual FOURTH return to the factory, when taking it out of the box, pieces fell out of it in front of the dealer who sold it to me. He returned my money.

Then there was the Italian (forget the name) 45-70 clone of the 1873 Sharps. Among many issues, including a lockwork full of wood shavings, it WOULD NOT print ANY group on a 4x8' sheet of plywood at 50' from a sandbagged bench position. Cape Outfitters finally gave me 'store credit' for full purchase & shipping. Good thing I immediately applied $ to another rifle, as they literally went out of business with a couple weeks, after decades at the same location.

& ect on various failed products of various mfgrs. There's another 1/2 dozen brands I could post here, but what's the point.

My TX22 has been awesome since day one. Good ergonomics, shoots great, and has been highly reliable with about 1000 rounds through it. Shoots just about any ammo that it's fed and the only time I've had a FTF issue is with Winchester white box "555". With all other ammo it's been 100% reliable although it does seem to particularly like Aguila and CCI ammo. I also have an SR22 and I like the TX better. I'd highly recommend this gun for anyone looking for an inexpensive rimfire pistol, and the 16-rd. mag is a big plus as well. To the OP, try some Aguila ammo and see if you get better results.

Ger a Ruger Mk series 22, problem solved!
I already have several of them. I'll never part with my original Standard that I've had since the '80s, at least until I give it to one of my kids some day. The Standard pistol, later to become the Mark 1 and so forth, was Ruger's first firearm, loosely patterned after the Japanese "Baby" Nambu pistol. They first sold in 1949 for a price of $37.50.

I bought the TX22 because it was something different and it felt good, but I sure won't get rid of my Rugers. :)

I wasn't ready to pass judgement before, but now I am. This barrel is junk. I just got back from the range, shot several different types of ammo, at 15 and 25 yards. Lots of unstable bullets and evidence of tumbling, poor accuracy. I'm going to call Taurus on Monday, see what they say.

Here's what my Ruger Standard does at 25 yards. I'm not particularly proud of this group; I've done better with it. I'm not a great shot but I can hold my own most of the time.
IMG_9970[1].jpg

For kicks, here's a 6-shot group through the old 1937 S&W Brazilian army contract .45 acp.
IMG_9971[1].jpg

And sadly, the new TX22. Several of the shots didn't even hit the paper at 25 yards. At 15 yards there was a lot of oblong, torn bullet holes.
IMG_9969[1].jpg

I wasn't ready to pass judgement before, but now I am. This barrel is junk. I just got back from the range, shot several different types of ammo, at 15 and 25 yards. Lots of unstable bullets and evidence of tumbling, poor accuracy. I'm going to call Taurus on Monday, see what they say.

Here's what my Ruger Standard does at 25 yards. I'm not particularly proud of this group; I've done better with it. I'm not a great shot but I can hold my own most of the time.
View attachment 787591

For kicks, here's a 6-shot group through the old 1937 S&W Brazilian army contract .45 acp.
View attachment 787592

And sadly, the new TX22. Several of the shots didn't even hit the paper at 25 yards. At 15 yards there was a lot of oblong, torn bullet holes.
View attachment 787590
Just for kicks have you tried to see if a 22 rimfire round will fit down the barrel as if something happened and the barrel was over bore? Or was there any lead fouling? Just asking because I have a m&p40 compact and got a storm lake 357 sig barrel and couldn't hit squat found out I could drop a 9mm bullet all the way down the barrel out the other end. Ended up being a 40 cal barrel and chambered it for 357 sig and I have the worst luck getting stuff like this. Just a thought and something to look at.

Just for kicks have you tried to see if a 22 rimfire round will fit down the barrel as if something happened and the barrel was over bore?
Nope, it seems fine. Good idea though!

Hopefully they will send you just a new barrel....
That would be nice!

It's weird, I don't really see anything wrong with this barrel. After 100+ rounds through it today, I don't see any leading or anything. The rifling does seem really shallow. It doesn't really matter; I fully expect them to replace the barrel. Anything this bad is clearly defective.

The two photos below show how it's not stabilizing the bullets. The first photo is a group fired through my old Ruger. Notice how the bullet holes are clean and round.

The second group was fired through the Taurus. Notice how the bullet holes are oblong, misshapen, and torn.

I want to like this gun. Hopefully all it takes is a new barrel and it will shoot like the others some of you have posted about. It's a little frustrating that so many companies depend on the consumer for quality control nowadays. They design a decent product, then throw it together in a big hurry, unwilling to spend money on good QC to make sure junk doesn't make it out the door.

One of my favorite range guns is a cheap Philipino 1911, an ATI GI. It's inexpensive, but a solid, well-made gun that shoots very well. I bought it brand new, so I didn't strip it down and carefully inspect everything. The chamber throat looks like it was cut with a broken reamer (not the feed ramp- the bore throat). It went back to them, and they sent another that was even worse! The third time was the charm, and it's a great gun.

They made it right, and hopefully Taurus will too, I hope. It's probably cheaper for them to just let the junk go out, and fix them as they turn up, sent in by the few end users who can shoot well enough to even notice. It may make sense to company bean counters somehow, but it sure stinks for all the people who buy junk and have to mess around with figuring out what's wrong, range trips, wasted ammo, phone calls, packing and returns, etc.. It seems like many, if not most, manufacturers do it this way now.

IMG_9972[1].jpg IMG_9973[1].jpg

I appreciate the offer, and I'm always up for a range visit and meeting someone new who likes to shoot, but at this point I'm going to call Taurus in the morning and see what they say. I've kind of lost interest in much further troubleshooting. It's frustrating just how much defective stuff makes it to the gun store shelves.

If you ever make it over this way and want to meet up at the range though, let me know. I'm a member at CVSC
in Dundee.

Thanks again for the offer. :)

I appreciate the offer, and I'm always up for a range visit and meeting someone new who likes to shoot, but at this point I'm going to call Taurus in the morning and see what they say. I've kind of lost interest in much further troubleshooting. It's frustrating just how much defective stuff makes it to the gun store shelves.

If you ever make it over this way and want to meet up at the range though, let me know. I'm a member at CVSC
in Dundee.

Thanks again for the offer. :)

let us know what they end up doing if you are able to talk to them. I am just curious what they will say/ do if you don't mind sharing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top