JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Taurus- I know, I know... Taurus haters, please don't rub it in.

I've personally not had trouble with Taurus. The couple I've had over the years have been fine, other than the junk-pile Rough-Rider .22 revolver, but that's another story. All the horror stories I've heard though, have had me leery of the brand. I've been hearing good things about the Taurus TX22 .22lr pistol for a while now, lots of good review online and on YouTube.

I was in Bi-Mart the other day and handled one. I like the way it felt and balanced. I had a little extra money this month so I bought it. I got a chance to go try it out today. It felt great and functioned perfectly. It was late and getting dark, but I shot 50 rounds. The problem is accuracy (the lack thereof) and key-holing. At 20 yards, the average group, or should I say pattern, is about 5", with lots of elongated holes in the target. Yes, I can shoot a lot better than that, at least half that with most any gun worth shooting.

The barrel looks OK, no obvious defects. I'll take it out again this weekend and give it another shot, but I have an idea I'll be trying out the infamous Taurus warranty service.

If you mess with the bull you get the horns - tendernass | Meme Generator

I tried 2 different types of bulk ammo- Federal AutoMatch and Federal Champion bulk with plated bullets. Admittedly neither of those are the best, but they work fine in my other guns. I won't have a gun that won't shoot at least halfway decent with most any ammo I have on hand, especially a cheap plinker like this.

I'll take it out again and try some others in it, maybe a few Mini-Mags. So far I'm seriously unimpressed.

I just got one and it wouldn't feed Federal Champion at all. I'm still having some minor issues with rounds nose diving into the mag body and missing the feed ramp causing a jam.
Accuracy on mine is fair with no key holing. I put rounds on paper off hand at 12y and it put up a 2in group.
The ergos are near perfect for me, and what really sold me on the gun.

Rem Thunderbolts are what run the best for me so far. This is my first Taurus product, and I'm not in a big rush to get another.

IMG_20201120_153955177.jpg

I'll give it another chance, but like I said, I don't like picky guns. I really like the feel and balance of it, and it went through 50 rounds like a champ.

Can you check your barrel for this problem:

It's funny; I was just reading that particular thread a couple hours ago. No, I looked closely with a light and magnifying glass, and don't see any of the major problems in that thread. Under magnification the chamber and bore aren't perfect, but not that bad really. The crown looks fine. I've seen worse that shoot better. Weird.

IMG_9952[1].jpg

So I got one when they first came out. Would put 50 rounds in it then couldn't hit the target. Later found the barrel got leaded up. Tried different ammo all cycled fine, plated bullets would last longer before barrel would foul. Called Taurus and gave them the serial number and they said they were going to ship me a new barrel. Got the new barrel and put it in the gun and have not had any issues since then. I think they had an issue in the beginning with I would guess to tight of a bore causing the barrel to foul but I never had one key hole like yours did. Never had a problem with any ammo I put in it after the new barrel. Maybe Call and see if you just so happened to get one of those models.

Taurus- I know, I know... Taurus haters, please don't rub it in.

I've personally not had trouble with Taurus. The couple I've had over the years have been fine, other than the junk-pile Rough-Rider .22 revolver, but that's another story. All the horror stories I've heard though, have had me leery of the brand. I've been hearing good things about the Taurus TX22 .22lr pistol for a while now, lots of good review online and on YouTube.

I was in Bi-Mart the other day and handled one. I like the way it felt and balanced. I had a little extra money this month so I bought it. I got a chance to go try it out today. It felt great and functioned perfectly. It was late and getting dark, but I shot 50 rounds. The problem is accuracy (the lack thereof) and key-holing. At 20 yards, the average group, or should I say pattern, is about 5", with lots of elongated holes in the target. Yes, I can shoot a lot better than that, at least half that with most any gun worth shooting.

The barrel looks OK, no obvious defects. I'll take it out again this weekend and give it another shot, but I have an idea I'll be trying out the infamous Taurus warranty service.

Just get yourself a Henry to go with it and you'll be fine.

I've heard both ends of the spectrum, especially note that there are more out there. I'd say it's about 1/10 has had issues. Mostly due to the rifling. Taurus has been swapping barrels to fix. Though reports of the rifling looking the same on the new barrel, users report better results after.

Mine has been an absolutely enjoyable pistol. I like it so much I sold off the other 22lr pistols, minus the revolvers, so that this is my only semi in the caliber. I've probably got close to 25k through it, slowing this year mostly due to limiting myself in 22 plinking. Purchased it November last year, so it's about a year old now. 70-80% of the time it is ran suppressed.

I have encouraged folks to buy the TX22, just because mine operates and shoots so wonderfully.

I'm disappointed to hear of of the OP's problem.

Previously, there were reports of really poor barrels causing keyholing, but I thought that was behind us.

I would clean and inspect the barrel, try different ammo, but if it doesn't fix itself quickly, I'd be on top of Taurus, insisting on a replacement.

My experience with Taurus warranty has been poor. The Taurus lovers now insist the warranty is wonderful. We'll see.:s0141:

I've heard both ends of the spectrum, especially note that there are more out there. I'd say it's about 1/10 has had issues. Mostly due to the rifling. Taurus has been swapping barrels to fix. Though reports of the rifling looking the same on the new barrel, users report better results after.

1/10 has issues? That's terrible by ANY product standards........

1/10 has issues? That's terrible by ANY product standards........
I might have exaggerated. There are tons of these out there now. They practically sell out every time they come online. Hard to say the 1/xxx ratio.

Ive noted my experiences with this pistol. Those experiences can stand for what they are, experience with said item.

I know how you stand on this brand and caliber. So care to share any experiences? Or just what you've read on the internet.

I might have exaggerated. There are tons of these out there now. They practically sell out every time they come online. Hard to say the 1/xxx ratio.

Ive noted my experiences with this pistol. Those experiences can stand for what they are, experience with said item.

I know how you stand on this brand and caliber. So care to share any experiences? Or just what you've read on the internet.

I've handled one, several times. And considered buying one, several times. I like the ergos but I dislike the cheap finish and the ejection port getting all chewed up by expended cases. My post also had nothing to do with caliber or brand. It was a basic statement based on your quote of a 1/10 failure rate.

Bought one last year before Christmas but only got to put 100 rounds through it before having surgery and then the plague happened. Anyway, the first 50 or so were all over the paper, but after that groups started to tighten up.
The barrel doesn't look pristine, but I've got some old pistols whose barrels look worse, so I haven't decided yet whether to ask Taurus for another barrel. I'll decide when I get to shoot it again.
Anyway, I'd advise you to keep shooting it for a bit and see if it wears in before giving up on it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top