JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I just got off the phone with customer service. They said they could send me another barrel, or I could send it in for repair.

The problem with a new barrel is that (for whatever reason she didn't say) they couldn't do "phone orders" right now, and I'd need to call back in "a few weeks".

The problem with sending it in is that it would also take 12 weeks, and I'd have to pay shipping to get it to them. That's absurd for a brand new product that's clearly defective.

As to just buying a barrel, no way in H-E-double-toothpick will I spend more money to fix something defective right out of the box.

I expect that eventually they'll send me a barrel. I did learn my lesson on this one: no more Taurus for me. I'm glad they work for those of you who got good ones, but I'm kicking myself for buying this one.

There's nothing in stock, people are buying stuff they'd never buy under normal market conditions.

I caught myself looking at Tisas pistols the other day. Tisas! If it was still 2019 that would never happen

Well, I just got off the phone with customer service. They said they could send me another barrel, or I could send it in for repair.

The problem with a new barrel is that (for whatever reason she didn't say) they couldn't do "phone orders" right now, and I'd need to call back in "a few weeks".

The problem with sending it in is that it would also take 12 weeks, and I'd have to pay shipping to get it to them. That's absurd for a brand new product that's clearly defective.

As to just buying a barrel, no way in H-E-double-toothpick will I spend more money to fix something defective right out of the box.

I expect that eventually they'll send me a barrel. I did learn my lesson on this one: no more Taurus for me. I'm glad they work for those of you who got good ones, but I'm kicking myself for buying this one.

Yeah. People keep spending money on Taurus junk, then regretting it or rationalizing why their new gun don't work right. I'll never understand why some people are ok with it. Good luck getting it fixed and keep us posted. :)

But don't worry, they have a life time warranty, you can do it again, and again, and again...
:s0140: f'in Taurus.

But don't worry, they have a life time warranty, you can do it again, and again, and again...
:s0140: f'in Taurus.

LOL and they'll keep rationalizing their purchase of a new POS.

"Oh the mag doesn't load all the way, that's ok."
"Oh, the rifling in the barrel is garbage, that's ok."
"Oh, the gun fell apart in my hand, that's ok".

"Lifetime warranty" that takes a lifetime to deal with. Dumb. :rolleyes:

BiMart can replace the gun, although they usually will say all firearms sales are final. They have helped me with a similar deal. Ask the manager.
I thought about that, but worried that I might just get another one with a bad barrel, then I'd have spent time and money on another BGC and be in the same place. I think I'll just put it away in the safe until they send me a barrel.

My gripe is with companies that do away with QC to the point where they let a lot of problems leave the plant, and if you get a bad one, you have to spend a lot of time and money sending it back to them.

Like I said, I really want to like this gun, and I expect I will once I get a decent barrel. I don't think I'd be able to recommend one though, since Taurus is so hit-and-miss (pun intended).

It's a lot like the Heritage Rough Rider. A lot of people have them, and most of them work at least well enough to make them happy. If you get a good one, they're a good value for the money. Buy a lemon though, and you're up a creek. It will cost you half of what the gun is worth just to send it to them to maybe fix it.

I'm not defending anything.

I'm as disappointed with your issues as you are.

You're stuck with a bum gun and I was just thinking of an easier solution than dealing with Taurus' warranty, or lack of it.

If you're okay with waiting weeks or months for just a new barrel, that's okay too.

Last Edited:
I'm not defending anything. You're stuck with a bum gun and I was just thinking of an easier solution than dealing with Taurus' warranty, or lack of it.

If you're okay with waiting weeks or months for just a new barrel, that's okay too.
You might be mistaking my post for the one above it. I didn't intend any negativity towards anything you've posted here. If fact I've appreciated your ideas and suggestions. I apologize if I came across any other way.

If we were closer geographically, I'd have taken you up on your offer to meet up at the range.

LOL and they'll keep rationalizing their purchase of a new POS.

"Oh the mag doesn't load all the way, that's ok."
"Oh, the rifling in the barrel is garbage, that's ok."
"Oh, the gun fell apart in my hand, that's ok".

"Lifetime warranty" that takes a lifetime to deal with. Dumb. :rolleyes:
Feelings engaging!!!!

Lol!

;)

Feelings engaging!!!!

Lol!

;)

You like to quote me often. I'm not interested in comparing wits so maybe quote someone else? I'm not the only one here who said Taurus sucks, yet I'm the only one you quote and reply to. This dance is getting old. :rolleyes:

I wasn't ready to pass judgement before, but now I am. This barrel is junk. I just got back from the range, shot several different types of ammo, at 15 and 25 yards. Lots of unstable bullets and evidence of tumbling, poor accuracy. I'm going to call Taurus on Monday, see what they say.

Here's what my Ruger Standard does at 25 yards. I'm not particularly proud of this group; I've done better with it. I'm not a great shot but I can hold my own most of the time.
View attachment 787591

For kicks, here's a 6-shot group through the old 1937 S&W Brazilian army contract .45 acp.
View attachment 787592

And sadly, the new TX22. Several of the shots didn't even hit the paper at 25 yards. At 15 yards there was a lot of oblong, torn bullet holes.
View attachment 787590
Dang that is one awful pattern. Maybe you accidentally got the shotgun version of the TX22.

You like to quote me often. I'm not interested in comparing wits so maybe quote someone else? I'm not the only one here who said Taurus sucks, yet I'm the only one you quote and reply to. This dance is getting old. :rolleyes:
Darn, I was learning all the good moves!

I'll stop poking!

Your opinions are good for the dialogue on this pistol, and I shouldn't let past grievances get in the way.

It is a shame that this pistol, that has been received very well by the shooting community, has had issues with the barrels being poorly rifled. It DOES hinder its appeal greatly and does nothing to help Taurus's longstanding issues with quality control.

I still won't trust Taurus as a brand I'd use for defensive purposes but the TX22 is a purely plinking/fun gun purchase and knew exactly what I was getting into, when I bought mine.

I will continue to run mine till it breaks, then send it in for repair.Having to pay shipping back to the mothership, is BS. I also think that at $250 (Bi-Mart's price) it's right at the threshold of being too expensive for what it is. So glad I checked Bi-Mart vs buying one off GB for $350-450....YMMV

Last Edited:
I still won't trust Taurus as a brand I'd use for defensive purposes but the TX22 is a purely plinking/fun gun purchase and knew exactly what I was getting into, when I bought mine.
This is exactly why I bought mine too. I knew the reputation and I took a chance. I bought my Kel-Tech Sub2000 for the same reason. I do like it, despite its shortcomings.

I'm not even sure why I bought it. I have plenty of other handguns, including plenty of .22 handguns, and no real need whatsoever for this one. Probably retail therapy more than anything. It's been one heck of a terrible year, much more for my family than I even want to talk about, one blow after another, after another. Sometimes a new toy to play with helps.

Well, NWFA is more than just a "gun" site. It's a community that looks out for each other. If you feel the need to "share or vent", now or in the future, please reach out to me via PM. I'm more than happy to offer up my ear....;)

Yeah. People keep spending money on Taurus junk, then regretting it or rationalizing why their new gun don't work right. I'll never understand why some people are ok with it. Good luck getting it fixed and keep us posted. :)

Yeah, I always wondered why people spend money on junk too, then regret it or rationalize why their new gun doesn't work too.

At my club a guy brought in a brand new Bill Wilson he just got. Wouldn't feed. Period. Turned out to be short chambered. Bill claimed it wasn't HIS fault! Even though the guy personally ordered the gun from Bill when Bill was at the range. Bill said he personally shot every pistol that left his shop. Guess he missed one! All Wilson guns are junk.

Guy brought out a brand new S&W 25-2, shot a cylinder full of ammo and the barrel unscrewed itself out of the gun! The barrel hadn't been pinned! Another guy (just) bought a S&W .22 revolver. One cylinder full and it was grinding on the recoil plate and jammed. All S&W revolvers are junk. S&W sold out to the Klintonestas and stabbed gun owners in the back! Don't buy S&W!

I had a new in box Ruger .357 DA revolver, it jammed after one cylinder full. All Ruger DA revolvers are junk.

Henry AR-7. Feed first case and jammed every other cartridge, will all different mags that worked in other AR-7s. If one cartridge in mag, feed fine, two or more cartridges? Feed first one, jammed the rest, from two in mag or ten in the mag. Henry took a rat-tailed file to the chamber and sent it back, it now feeds two and jams. All Henry rifles are junk!

Don't buy junk!

Oh, yes, the Taurus revolvers and PT1911 I bought? All worked fine. Go figure!

Well I had the day off yesterday, so I got some range time in (albeit, briefly due to time constraints). As I shoot steel roughly 95% of the time, I had yet to put rounds on paper, so today, that's what I did.

Houston, we have a problem. Starting at 15yds, I shot 3rds then went a little closer to get a better look. Grouping was so so, and then I saw it.... dreaded keyhole! :(

The time before this range session, I had a few FTE's (stove pipes). I had chalked those up to the gun being fairly dirty. I got it cleaned and fast forward to today. I had one dud round that fired after trying it a 2nd time and then intermittent stovepipe's. Though I was not keeping track, I figured I shot around 200-300rds total.

As I was winding down this shooting session (losing daylight), I was getting multiple stovepipe's per mag. While I think there is more to it, I feel my thumb placement (I'm a lefty) may be a contributing factor. The next time I'm able to hit the range with my bro, I'll have him wring it out a bit for me. It will also provide me an opportunity to watch/catch malfunctions as they happen.

I was able to mod a DP FO front sight to work with the TX22. It may be just a hair off, but not enough to be detrimental to accuracy. I feel that this sight, gives me the ability to shoot to the level of performance that I'm accustomed to.

My final thoughts:

Pros:

I really like the TX22 trigger. As a lefty, I appreciate that the manual safety version is ambi equipped. While I use my trigger finger to drop the mag, the mag catch is reversible. Again, another nice feature.

The pic rail is handy as I can use my Blackhawk Omnivore holster while at the range (no need to buy a TX22 specific holster).

While the grip is a tad too large for my taste, it is comfortable non the less and not a deal breaker at all.

Last but not least, the 16rd mags! Got to love a .22lr that holds anything over the "standard" 10rds.

Cons:

The sights are borderline usable.
The mags feel a bit on the cheap side. They just don't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling that I get from my Ruger MKIV mags.

Lastly, I'm very disappointed to find out about the keyhole issue and the resultant stovepipes. My gut tells me that Taurus will "TRY" to make it right, but it will probably not be to my satisfaction. I'll investigate a little more with the stovepipes. Once that's concluded, I'll most likely send it back in to them to have it looked at.

The TX22 has the potential to be a great gun, but IMHO, it's not there yet. While the price is a good, there are corners that had to be cut to come in at that price point. I think Taurus could have opted not to cheap out on the barrel. They could have went with a more premium barrel and raised the price accordingly and I would have been cool with that. They didn't, so it is what it is.

Pending the trip back, this TX22 will be relegated to a trainer for new shooters (although I can't think of any new shooters at the moment). I will also refrain from punching paper. Nothing but steel for the TX22 (even if I have to sling the lead sideways at it) lol.

If anyone out there, who after reading all of this, is still interested in the TX22, I'd be more than happy to meet up and let you try it out (ammo is on you and dependent on my free time).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top