JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Unless the winds drastically change, I stand a good chance of losing my house. The Grandview fire is nearing my doorstep and put us in level 3 evacuation. Last night we packed up the kids and valuables, then headed for a safe location. Hopefully it stops before reaching our place.

This picture was taken at 7pm yesterday. It has since grown at least 10x in size. Satellite images show the fire approximately 1 mile from our house, and nothing but woods in-between.

IMG_20210711_195903_094.jpg

What does YOUR Space look like? How close is any brush to your home and what kind?
Can you cut/clear enough space around your home, and do it quickly and safely?
Can you water down the area around your home, and keep both the home and area wet while this is going on?
Don't give up just yet!
I wish I were closer, I would help you out!

Edit: I knew I should have brought the big truck up this season, with how the state did things last year, Would have been a good idea!

What does YOUR Space look like? How close is any brush to your home and what kind?
Can you cut/clear enough space around your home, and do it quickly and safely?
Can you water down the area around your home, and keep both the home and area wet while this is going on?
Don't give up just yet!
I wish I were closer, I would help you out!

Edit: I knew I should have brought the big truck up this season, with how the state did things last year, Would have been a good idea!
Honestly, I know our fire protection is not great. There is a bit of a buffer around the house (gravel and no brush) but there are large shade trees right next to the house. The house is nothing special, it was the land I loved. If the trees are all burned down, I have no desire live there anymore. We had time to move the stuff we cared about.

Honestly, I know our fire protection is not great. There is a bit of a buffer around the house (gravel and no brush) but there are large shade trees right next to the house. The house is nothing special, it was the land I loved. If the trees are all burned down, I have no desire live there anymore. We had time to move the stuff we cared about.
Can you limb and thin? If you can water the canopy a few hours before being forced out, that might be enough! Make sure the homes gutters and clear, and all vents are secure, and any debris is swept up to the down wind side, and then wet down the property hard before you have to boogy! That's about all you can do!
Any thing that will burn needs to be moved to the down wind side of the property, and if you can, wet it all down!

I do thank you for the advice, but it's all up to mother nature now. We went from a zero evacuation level straight to a level 3. It was a bit of a surprise, and didn't give us much time for anything but packing up. In hindsight, we could have stayed another night and done a bit more before leaving. Unfortunately, I'm now staying with family, a couple hundred miles away.

I don't know if this is any consolation or good news, but radio chatter I just heard (9:40AM) says that they are successfully defending two homes and outlying structures on Squaw Creek Rd about a mile south of the Squaw Flat Rd Intersection.

Thanks for the well wishes gentleman. According to the recent fire maps, my place is safe but still in level 3 evac. I'm south of the creek, and while the fire has jumped in certain places, the good folks out there have kept the spread south to a minimum. The winds are also no longer coming in from the north so that's in my favor.

We're with you here, hope it gets under control soon before getting to your property. We had to bug out last year from the Santiam fires, luckily the locals established a good fire line after every paid firefighter was pulled out to another fire (thx kate). Not sure where you're at but if it's out my way your welcome to stop bye for an adult beverage or even do some plinking.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top