Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

i just bought a pistol what do you think?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by chevy, Sep 18, 2010.

1. chevy

chevy 64th st Member

wanted to know your ideas on the tuarus 40 cal. pt 24/7 c i havent shot it yet i just got it

2. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Why'd you make 2 threads? Can't say I'm a fan of DAO, but if that is your bag then it looks pretty good for the price. Seems to be reliable and easy to clean from reviews. I generally don't like to buy pistols before trying them though. I like to make sure it feels good in my hands, is pointable, and easy to control.

3. chevy

chevy 64th st Member

didnt mean to but thanx for the input

4. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Dual wielding, one post for each gun.....:p

5. chevy

chevy 64th st Member

thanx for leting me know bud now what about the gun?

6. Dnaltrop

Dnaltrop Portland, Oregon Member

DAO pistol with a restrike capability, allowing a second chance on a failed round with just the trigger, before working the slide to eject the bad round.

Taurus warranty is lifetime on the gun, not the purchaser. they do eventually make things right even if it takes a time or two.

Some Taurus you'd swear are magical, some Taurus Infernal. I've had 2 good, 1 bad Taurus through my hand, and while not my first choice, i wouldn't turn one down with the right price.

7. chevy

chevy 64th st Member

thanx for the info

8. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

First pistol? Intended usage? Good price? Are you looking for honest opinions, or just pats on the back? Honest opinions might be hard to come by after you bought a pistol, people might not necessarily want to hurt anyones feelings. Not implying you made a bad decision (I'm neutral on Taurus) but there are bad opinions about all guns, Glock, Kimber, Colt, etc included.

9. chevy

chevy 64th st Member

yea its my first pistol my intended use for it is mostly target/consealed and i payed 415 for it after tax and i would like all honest opinions i would really like to know what this gun is like and if im going to be disapointed with it thanx

10. hatchetjack

hatchetjack Western WA Active Member

What was your reasoning behind choosing that particular piece? If you're happy with it, then it's a good choice.

11. chevy

chevy 64th st Member

well i went in there with the intention of buying a cz 75 but i tryed it in my hands and it just didnt feel right so i tryed a few other pistols and the tuarus 40 cal. was the one that felt like it fit me best but i have never shot one yet so i kinda wanted to know if anyone has used one and what there honest feelings where about it for target practice like accuracy, kickback and reliability

12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack Western WA Active Member

Why don't YOU take it out and shoot it? Then tell us what you think. If I told you I shot one that belonged to a friend it kicks like a mule and jams all the time would that color your opinion of your purchase?

Personally, I would have gone with the CZ in 9mm but that's just me. If you haven't shot or owned many handguns, then you'll find that it will take some time to see what works best for you.

13. chevy

chevy 64th st Member

ok thanx i think im going to go shoot it in like 4 days so ill let u know how that gos thanx alot for the info

14. KCKracker

KCKracker Covington, WA Member

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.. They are riddled with issues is my experience, mostyl jamming. when it comes to my life, thats why i carry one, and if it dont work when its needed whats the point. i think id trust a $75 hi-point over a Taurus honestly and Im far from a gun snob, mines a cheapo but next purchase id do a little more homework on what your looking for and also AT.

15. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

For the price, I would have bought an LEO trade-in Glock 22, might even been cheaper. I believe cops only qualify 1-2 times a year so most are in very good condition. I've seen these as low as $288.

A Taurus? Meh. Let's just say it wouldn't be my carry gun.

16. shelzersr

shelzersr Newberg,Oregon New Member

I have had my Taurus .40 Cal PT24/7 for about a year. I have put about 500 rounds through it and it hasn't jammed once. I have had absolutly no issues with it. It's easy to take apart and clean. It's accurate, fits my hand perfectly and the recoil isn't as bad as the Taurus PT111 Pro 9mm that i had. I bought it used for $249.00. I am totally happy with my pistol, and would buy another Taurus no matter what anybody says about them.

17. Krazyrngr

Krazyrngr Tacoma Member

The first gun I ever shot was a Taurus in 45ACP, dont remember what model it was, but it wasnt bad, me and some buddies fed it a box and had no problems, it was a lil bulkier then I would have prefered but it wasnt mine but I did enoy shooting it.

18. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

Go buy 500 rounds of practice ammo and shoot your new gun. Everybody on here has preferences but we didn't buy that taurus. You did. So go enjoy your new pistol, learn it's idiosyncrasies and have fun. If you are a newbie, maybe look into taking a handgun training class or go shooting with some experienced shooter friends. But my point is, just go have fun. That's why we all buy/shoot guns. It's probably the only thing most of us would agree on here.:thumbup:

19. ApronAmy

ApronAmy Beaverton, OR Member

Not to highjack this thread but you guys just validated my endless hours of research and changing my mind several times. I started out wanting a Taurus but have since evolved to a S&W. Quality and durability are worth a few extra bucks, as far as I'm concerned.

20. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

Just stay away from the Sigma series.:laugh: Even the M&P series turns me off with that hinged trigger they feature. I've never shot one but dry fired them in shops and they just seem like they would be a "weak link".