JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A good friend of mine grew up in Illinois and has a Canadian wife. She hates guns, he is not a gun guy but has shown mild interest in the past and I took him shooting once but until 2 weeks ago he was not interested in actually buying one. Well, he took my advice for home defense and picked up a Remington 870 20 gauge HD shotgun from Rich's in Donald. I took him to the range and got him up to speed on loading/unloading and safe gun handling. He can now put lead on target and defend his home. His wife isn't happy but oh well.
My sister lives in Eugene with my mom. She is a liberal, as I am to a lesser degree, but unlike me has always been anti-gun. 3 weeks ago she called me asking for help with a gun due to the pandemic. I was able to set the two of them up with my Ruger LCR 3 inch .38+P revolver and a Mossberg 510 youth model 20 gauge. Not the most imposng arsenal but certainly adequate for home protection, and solid choices for people who aren't experienced with guns. I refrained from telling her "I told you so" but I did remind her that our perfectly legal exchange would be a felony in places like New Jersey.
I think its important in times like these to hold the door open for formerly anti-gun folks whose worldview has been shaken up by the pandemic. Dont shame them, welcome them into the fold.

A life time friend of mine recently decided that he needed to take a good long look at reality and decided he might need to take personal responsibility for his own safety. He isn't an Anti gun person, just never thought he would need one. We had a long conversation about guns and carry and training and all that and he is totally on board with it and is now researching not only hand guns and what might be the best fit for him, but he is also researching AR style rifles and considering getting one! He also asked about the Concealed Permit process and is currently signed up for his class and getting his paperwork ready for his county sheriff to sign off on! Hopefully, his new found needs will translate into a new voting outlook!

I think its important in times like these to hold the door open for formerly anti-gun folks whose worldview has been shaken up by the pandemic. Dont shame them, welcome them into the fold.
I agree 100%... although I do have a problem extending grace to someone who, up until recently, thought I was some kind of deplorable nutcase hillbilly redneck insert liberal insult *here* and completely devoid of common sense, responsibility, and placed me in the same catagory as terrorists and child murderers.

I would, as you did, make a small exception for immediate family. I'll welcome new converts, but none of em get to handle, much less take (temporary) posession of my junk.

P7,

Hhhmmm, sounds like something I'd say, oh wait, I done 'been' saying it.

marxists now armed should be welcomed into the fold?

They're gonna continue to vote for pelosie and the rest of pelosie clones...but, now perhaps know how to shoot.

Oh great!

P7,

They're gonna continue to vote for pelosie and the rest of pelosie clones...but, now perhaps know how to shoot.

Oh great!
The irony of the whole thing is, Karl Marx was pro gun for citizens or "workers"

But will they continue to vote for anti-gun liberal politicians?
Most likely most of them will.
Leftists in general never think the rules apply to them because they are on the right side of things. They are what Lenin referred to as useful idiots.
Real-life examples are pretty easy to find... people (NYC libs) who were all for the ACA (aka "ObamaCare"), champions of it, in fact, that couldn't believe how badly it dicked-up their medical insurance.
"Soak-the-rich" they say... until they actually get a job.
Private and charter schools are racist and bad, unworthy of public funding says the people who send their kids to the toniest private schools.
Gun restrictions are for "those people" (you and I), not me... I'm super woke.
Gulags for people who disagree with them... til there's a shift in political current.
Same with free speech in general.
Watch as Dem-controlled congress makes new rules to support their current agenda and complain about those rules being unfair when they lose that majority. They scede power to the executive branch, then complain about it when they lose that seat.

Apologies for the thread-drift. This is a positive thread and congratulations to @soberups for bringing a couple of recalcitrant anti-private gun ownership citizens into the tent. It's just unfortunate that the lefty mindset so often refuses to see what the actual cause of their discontent is (Hint: its usually some kind of government regulation.... or, sometimes, glue-sniffing).

Last Edited:
But will they continue to vote for anti-gun liberal politicians?
This is always the question, of course. However...the foundation has, most certainly, begun to crack. I mean, never underestimate the level of denial and hypocrisy a leftist is capable of. But it's pretty hard for a GUN OWNING leftist to continue saying that 2A is outdated. And there is at least a little glimmer of hope that they might make the complete journey to realizing how wrong they've been about some things. Time will tell.

this is a good thing, I think many anti-gun gun owners will continue to vote for anti-gun politicians but simply owning a gun makes the issues more personal and hopefully will be considered.

but part of me cant help wait for the day when one of them gets arrested for some gun law they voted for...

this is a good thing, I think many anti-gun gun owners will continue to vote for anti-gun politicians but simply owning a gun makes the issues more personal and hopefully will be considered.

I believe that they WILL continue to vote the same as they always have. They have to! Anti 2nd amendment people have no choice due to the fact they never hear anything about firearms that doesn't come from the likes of CNN, MSNBC, NPR, all the other left leaning media. ALL negative! Like a person who has never eaten anything but chicken in their 30 years of life, being asked to comment on the flavor and texture of beef. They can't do it! They would have their opinions on beef, but that's it.

That doesn't mean we should still push them away. They came into our house voluntarily, all on their own! They need to be welcomed and nurtured to appreciate the 2nd Amendment. It'll take some time, and every one won't see the light. But turning people away will result in the exact opposite of what we need to happen.

I agree 100%... although I do have a problem extending grace to someone who, up until recently, thought I was some kind of deplorable nutcase hillbilly redneck insert liberal insult *here* and completely devoid of common sense, responsibility, and placed me in the same catagory as terrorists and child murderers.

I would, as you did, make a small exception for immediate family. I'll welcome new converts, but none of em get to handle, much less take (temporary) posession of my junk.

Yeah, the best thing you can do is not hold a grudge and welcome them into the light. Every new convert becomes your wingman.

P7,

Oh great!

I'm not sure sticking a .38 snub in ones sock drawer qualifies "knowing how to shoot" which is about as far most will take it.

They came into our house voluntarily, all on their own
Not disagreeing with the sentiment, maybe just the phrasing.
The 2A is not a protection of "our" rights, as the antis lazily love to claim... "How many children have to die for your 2nd Amendment rights!!!???".
The RKBA is for ALL free people but we, as Americans, are exclusively and preemptively excluded from governmental infringement upon those rights by virtue of our 2nd Amendment. No other country, constitutional or not, can claim such status being given to the RKBA.
Superwoke d-bags like to throw shade at Colion Noir and Maj Toure (founder of Black Guns Matter) for their foundational work in spreading the 2A gospel (sounding a little bit tribal myself there) in predominantly black communities. Those d-bags forget exactly WTF they're talking to... restricting individual rights is a game played by the privileged few who attempt to divide us along any division they can exploit for their own benefit. In such a statement my own populism is revealed but it is the truth.
In America, we hold these truths to be self-evident: All men are created equal and all rights shall be accorded equally (paraphrased for my own protection)

We, as gun owners and 2A advocates, are not an exclusive club-of-the-enlightened who allow outsiders in, although it's easy enough to feel that way. We are simply joiners in what the founding fathers of this great country envisioned 250 yrs ago... the dummies, unenlightened, and woke are included, they just don't know it yet.

Sorry, @Mikej... didn't mean to rant at you specifically. I'd just like to see ALL conversation shift away from the (typically) current focus on Americans as divided subjects subjected to the government's will vs free American citizens... there's a huge difference.

"are not an exclusive club-of-the-enlightened who allow outsiders in, although it's easy enough to feel that way. We are simply joiners in what the founding fathers of this great country envisioned 250 yrs ago "

This, a million times over until I'm out of breath.

People are going to vote however they wish....
It may or may not be in line with how you wish them to vote.
There ain't a lot that can be done about this.

Name calling or other insults will only serve to keep others away and re-enforce the popular anti gun stereotype of a gun owner.

Are some of these new gun owners still going to vote anti-gun....Yes
Do you need to make these new gun owners , your new best friends...No

But as I have repeatedly said :
Who would you rather have teaching a new gun owner about guns and gun ownership ....
A helpful gun owner or the anti-gun news media , movies , TV , anti-gun groups ,etc...?
By helping them , we are helping ourselves.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads