JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a quick intro - I know several people on this board from a big local fishing site. I am primarily a fisherman, but I also enjoy hunting (mostly ducks, but I'm trying to get back into big game). I am not very experienced with big game hunting, so I'm sure I'll have some really dumb questions about hunting in general, and especially about my rifle (M77 MK2 .300wm). I am hoping to get more accurate with this rifle over the summer, so I'll need advice on ammo and sighting-in (I got it reasonably close last year for 100-150 yd shots, which is about as far as I want to shoot until I get better, but I know it is capable of better groups than I'm shooting).

Admission: I joined because this site has a reputation of decent classifieds. I have a couple of things that I am hoping to sell soon (two guns and a spare clip from a gun that I no longer own). I hope this isn't deemed inappropriate to join mainly for the classifieds, and I'll try to be a contributing member in other ways.

Thanks,
Scott
aka Beefcake

I don't think anyone will complain that there are more guns up for grabs.
As for your 300 do you reload your own ammo?. That will be the best way to achieve accuracy.

Welcome BC, but like Nightshade, I probably won't be referring to you by your full forum name... :s0114:

Yeah, I should change my name on all of the boards. It is a reference to the fat kid on the South Park cartoon. When I met my girlfriend, I had been on a protein diet, and her kids said the big jugs of protein powder supplements looked like the "Beefcake 4000" weight gain stuff that Cartman used on South Park. It just sort of stuck.

I don't think anyone will complain that there are more guns up for grabs.
As for your 300 do you reload your own ammo?. That will be the best way to achieve accuracy.

I haven't played with different ammo yet. I have mixed feelings on this; I know that the right ammo for a gun makes a big difference, and I would probably shoot custom loads if I really wanted super-long-range accuracy. However, one of my mentors grew up in a hunting lodge in Alaska, and he swears that you should always shoot what is readily available. In other words, I have taken his advice and only shot Remington Core-lokt so far because I know I can grab a box of it off the shelf here, in Alaska, or in Montana and it will be the same.

Frankly, a good portion of my problem is that I'm not a great shot yet. I was okay 20 years ago, but I got away from almost all forms of shooting for quite a while, and I'm having trouble getting comfortable again. Between my trigger-jerk (rather than squeeze), a slight flinch, and an eye-dominance problem that I need to work through, I'm not planning any long-range shooting for quite some time.

You heard this is where the cool kids play?? Youve come to wrong place my friend, theres nothing but gun dorks in here! Welcome to the site, we'll get you your NWFA pocket protector ASAP! BTW, I love that episode of South Park, great name, beefcake!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top