JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many years ago, too many to recount, I inherited a 1920's era (?) Savage 99 in .300 Savage. I put it into a rifle case and then into my safe where it still lives today. Sorry to say that I have never shot it but have kept it clean and oiled all these years. The rifle was formerly well used and carried afield hunting so much that the bluing is mostly gone in all the places where one would expect. Was told that this rifle provided game for a family during the Depression. Lately I have been considering taking it to a good gunsmith to have it restored into better condition. So here's the deal. Could anyone recommend a good gun doc that could bring it back to life? I live over on the Coast of OR so distance might be an issue. Salem, Eugene, Corvallis are areas within reasonable driving distances. I know of no one over here that would do the old gurl good. Thanks in advance for your considered recommendations.

I acquired the take down model of that rifle years back. It was beautiful, but the inside of the barrel looked like a plowed field and Savage wouldn't
rebarrel it as a take down, so I let it go.

@Velzey is ALWAYS the go to guy for quality restorations and custom work! Hands down, cannot recommend him enough!
He is in Estacata, but worth the drive, Trust me, Check the reviews here, nuff said! :cool:
Yeah man. @Velzey is your huckleberry

^. This. I've been happy with the work he's done. If too much of a drive, one can always ship it to him. Good luck with your project; the 99 is a classic. :)

I have one albeit from 52, and a good fun shooter it is. Strong enough to shoot modern loads. At my age I still do well with the peep sight unlike other iron sights. hopefully yours has one.
If its functional I would shoot it or even hunt with it as is but for me, as a family heirloom, it would be unthinkable to restore and wipe away all those years of kin.
Fixing something broken is another thing.
If I bought one without family connection though, I may be tempted to restore one as they are a good solid gun for everything around here, but realizing I wouldn't see a financial return for the effort.. They do have an appealing sleek style about them.
If it is indeed 1920's it is the first year of production for the 300 savage cartridge though have no opine if that enhances value any.
@Velzey is less than three hours away from Newport you know.:) A shop of value for the gun owner.

Wow! Thanks everyone. I think we have a winner @Velsey! Great recommendations. I will follow up with him to be sure. Yes, thorborg, this will be a labor of love as I would have no desire to sell this one. I am still trying to run down the "exact" year of manufacture of this rifle. Most all of what I have found are "ranges" of dates. I am planning on spending some time weekend looking for more useful data. The s/n is six digits starting with 6. I'll go look after some more coffee. Again THANKS EVERYONE for the direction to @Velsey!

OK now! Found a data goldmine. According to Savage #s this rifle was manufactured in 1953 confirmed by s/n. Well, makes the stories untrue, but it is still a cool old gun and worthy of restoration. My 870 Wingmaster was made in my birth month in 1950 and its still a great shooter.

Restoring a old firearm is fun and rewarding...
With that said....any collector value will be lost with the restoring....
Which is strange to me . 'cause guys will Ohh and Ahh over a lovingly restored 1968 Camaro yet give you Hell for restoring an old rifle...:eek:

For me its a case by case basis...
What is the end goal for this rifle...
Does it have any historic value or significance....
Are the issues use or abuse...

Many an old gun of mine i have restored...a few I have and will not.

In any event....good luck with your rifle and pictures are always fun to look at....
Andy

Thanks Andy. I agree with you that a restored old muscle car is cool and often a restored firearm is an abomination. Go figure. I think what I will do in the short run is pick up a box of 300Savage and head to the range and finally shoot the thang. After that, who can say? Its all in good fun anyway.

OK now! Found a data goldmine. According to Savage #s this rifle was manufactured in 1953 confirmed by s/n. Well, makes the stories untrue, but it is still a cool old gun and worthy of restoration. My 870 Wingmaster was made in my birth month in 1950 and its still a great shooter.

Well, I think etiquette dictates you show pictures? :D Anyway, I found this interesting article...

Fascinating rifle for sure.

Review: Savage Model 99

I killed my first buck with a Savage 99F in .308. It is still as capable a hunter as any modern rifle and I plan to give it to a grandson to hunt with in a few years. I have considered getting it re-blued and may do so. While I know they do have some value as classic firearms, I don't believe a 1950's to 1970's Savage in common calibers are ever going to be superstar collector items. If you have an early one in 32-55 Win or .22 Savage Hi-Power or something, there is definitely a collector value and I wouldn't want to do anything to affect originality. I doubt having our .300 or .308 rifles refinished will have much (if any) impact on actual street value.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top