JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Guys,

I haven't caught a single stinkin fish since I moved here 5 months ago.

I've fished at hagg lake.

I've fished in the Wilson river.

I've fished from banks.

From overhangs.

Hell, I've even gone ahead and braved the frigid waters of the Wilson river and fished INSIDE the river!

I have fished calm spots.

I have fished faster water.

I have fished patiently.

And yet I haven't caught a single fish! What does it take to catch a fish here? I grew up fishing in the midwest and always was able to land fish. Bass, trout no problem. I ALWAYS used worms to great effect.

And out here I have also used worms, to no avail.

I float fish, so I put one of those lead weights at the end of my line near the hook, and use a bobber to set my depth.

Can someone please school me up? My wife is gonna think I'm a failure of a man if I keep this losing streak up
Tell the meat/fish counter guy to sell you his biggest salmon, and toss it over the counter to you.
At home later: "Honey, look what I caught! Fileted and everything!"

Guys,

I've fished from banks.

From overhangs.

Hell, I've even gone ahead and braved the frigid waters of the Wilson river and fished INSIDE the river!

I have fished patiently.

And yet I haven't caught a single fish! What does it take to catch a fish here? I grew up fishing in the midwest and always was able to land fish. Bass, trout no problem. I ALWAYS used worms to great effect.

I float fish, so I put one of those lead weights at the end of my line near the hook, and use a bobber to set my depth.

Can someone please school me up? My wife is gonna think I'm a failure of a man if I keep this losing streak up
Try petsmart, the orange ones will usually bite on just about any kind of bait;)

Now you know why it's called fishing and not catching!

3C2D9BE4-18FA-473D-A925-BB4061B9EBF7.jpeg

I'm like the OP, I have quit fishing though. I bought a boat, truck to pull it, all the gear and spent several years on the water. Only to have guests on the boat catch fish. I never put a single one on that stupid boat in six years. So I sold it. Went charter fishing with a bunch of co workers, guess who caught nothing all three outings? I've taken my boys fishing several times (even the Sportsman's show pond) and have let them down every time. So, I've told my 9 and 10 year old boys that maybe they will find a friend who will take them fishing with their dad because I quit the stupid hobby.

I'm like the OP, I have quit fishing though. I bought a boat, truck to pull it, all the gear and spent several years on the water. Only to have guests on the boat catch fish. I never put a single one on that stupid boat in six years. So I sold it. Went charter fishing with a bunch of co workers, guess who caught nothing all three outings? I've taken my boys fishing several times (even the Sportsman's show pond) and have let them down every time. So, I've told my 9 and 10 year old boys that maybe they will find a friend who will take them fishing with their dad because I quit the stupid hobby.

I'm in the same boat. I used to catch trout in the river behind my house when I was a kid. All I used was some white bread on a hook with a float.

The only time I catch fish these days is if I pay a guide a lot of money - then I have a decent chance.

Ultimately, I realized that I don't have the patience for fishing and I actually don't like eating fish much so I just found other things to spend my time and money on.

Guys,

I've fished from banks.

From overhangs.

I have fished patiently.

Well, judging by all the anglers pictured here with tons of fish... my guess is they're all gone! I think most ended up in the frying pan, but there's one pic in this thread that's not a real fish, rather its Billy Bass the singing fish, and I might be wrong but it looks like there's another fella putting the moves on a bass. I'm sure she's a nice bass, probably has a nice bass too. Not that there's anything wrong with it (if that's who you are). Keep Portland weird.

Skipped 4 pages.

Hagg has been finicky this year if from the bank. My best bass was about 2.5-3lbs, caught early this spring. The water is way down now compared to then. The fish move. Look for points, wood in the water, and grass beds. Lipless cranks are my favorite searching bait followed by a wacky or texas rigged Senko type soft plastic (4 or 5 inch)

The Wilson sucks in the summer, low waters usually equate to low catch rate. This is getting to be Sea Run Cutty season, but they need rain just like steelhead or salmon to move up stream. Rooster tails work great if they're in.

Gales Creek is a fun option, usually a good number of rainbows and cutties. Spinners or tiny jigs fished under a float work well. Wade the creek. I like the stretch from the bridge on Hwy 6 near Dorman's Pond upstream to the spot across from Coleman's, or go up to the campground and pick a direction.

My last half dozen fishing trips in Oregon were to Vernonia Pond - that's where I caught most of my fish this year. Trout, bass, catfish, and bream. Best setup was a small jig fished under a float with a Berkley Crappie Nibble tipping the jig. Since I'm not in Oregon anymore, I'll give up my honey holes if you PM me :s0108:

I have this weird feeling that, conversely, if shipwrecked at sea you'll be the first one eaten by a shark.

There's nothing like out fishing a guy in his $50,000 jet boat, when you're trolling for salmon right next to him in your 1960 14' Alumacraft.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top