JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Caveman Jim
[/QUOTE]

It's quite obvious that Mr. Beekeeper has not bothered to click on this jewel.... YET. :D

Rubber worms work well. Wax worms are better bait. Try throwing some spinners.
Read the book Reading The Water by Dave Hughes, for rivers. Bass here like trees, shade and riff raff. GL

1. Find a stream that allows bait: Oregon Fishing Regulations - 2020 | eRegulations
  2. Find a riffle or a chute with a deep pool beneath it on said stream
  3. Tie on a hook, nothing else, and bait it with a big juicy nightcrawler
  4. Cast nightcrawler up in to the riffle and let it drift out in to the pool
  5. Experiment with when you close your bail, how far you let it swing, and how fast you retrieve it
  6. Enjoy your trouts
This is the way I learned to catch native cutthroats in Southern Oregon and some of the tributaries of the upper Willamette. It's never failed to deliver for me. I've also had luck in high lakes with spinners and flies. If you don't know if you want to commit to flyfishing, tie a five or six foot leader below a clear bobber, and try some flies on on the end of that. The bobber gives you enough weight to cast a fly on conventional line.

I don't have much experience with warmwater species, but fishing is a journey that I'm still in the early stages of.

There's is a place that you're guaranteed success.

I think you should ditch the bobber and try some bottom fishing. I like using a slip or egg sinker on the line above the swivel and hook. The planter trout like powerbait. Yellow was working for me at Vernonia lake. Or a three way swivel with the weight at the bottom. I was getting skunked when using a bobber and it all changed fast I switched to bottom fishing. I would use the same setups on the river as well. Carp are fun to catch on bass gear and they like things like doughballs or even new potatoes. They will eat worms like most other fish but it doesnt always work best. I use heavier weights like a pyramid sinker with a 3 way swivel on the river with sandy or silty bottoms. And the least amount of weight I cast when lake fishing for trout.

Sturgeon are fairly easy to catch off the bank. They like sand shrimp, squid or worms with the rigging mentioned above for river fishing. Stretchy string will help keep the shrimp on.

Good luck. :)

Man
I think you should ditch the bobber and try some bottom fishing. I like using a slip or egg sinker on the line above the swivel and hook. The planter trout like powerbait. Yellow was working for me at Vernonia lake. Or a three way swivel with the weight at the bottom. I was getting skunked when using a bobber and it all changed fast I switched to bottom fishing. I would use the same setups on the river as well. Carp are fun to catch on bass gear and they like things like doughballs or even new potatoes. They will eat worms like most other fish but it doesnt always work best. I use heavier weights like a pyramid sinker with a 3 way swivel on the river with sandy or silty bottoms. And the least amount of weight I cast when lake fishing for trout.

Sturgeon are fairly easy to catch off the bank. They like sand shrimp, squid or worms with the rigging mentioned above for river fishing. Stretchy string will help keep the shrimp on.

Good luck. :)
I will research those terms and methods and use them. I am brand new to this. I see you are from scappoose. I'm in beaverton. If I paid you 40 bucks would you be able to show me the ropes?

I use a clasp type swivel so I can easily change hook sizes.
1595698522303.png
With the 3 way you can make your sinker line longer or shorter as needed. 1595698590353.png

I would gladly show you sometime , but I wouldn't accept any money. I will be buisy the next couple weeks and then we could hook up. I've got some camping and shooting to do.

Learn to fly fish. Fish here like that.
I spent 10 years learning to fly fish. Discovered 3 things:
1) I prefer to cast without anything tied to the end of the line;
2) I actually enjoyed learning to tie flies;
3) I'd rather sit by the stream and read about fly fishing, that actually fly fish.

Many years ago, I was on a job at Ballast Point in San Diego. We had a lot of "hurry-up-and-wait" time on our hands, so some of us went to a Big 5 sporting goods store and bought fishing poles and related gear. We got our fishing licenses, and started drowning bait.

We had some success, but it wasn't stellar. A small shark was caught, and a nice-sized stingray. I took them both back to the motel, and fried them up. The stingray was surprisingly good.

There were some Filipino workers who saw us with our poles, and since they had some free time too, they asked for and were given some string and hooks.

They put us to shame. Using maybe 30 feet of string and a hook, they were able to out-fish us. They had a loaf of white bread with them, and would pinch a piece of bread onto the hook, and toss it off the pier. No sinker. The hook floated a bit, and gradually sank. They were able to catch some beautiful fish this way.

The planter trout like the tan power bait because that is the color of their feed pellets. They also get hungry in the morning and the afternoon, I am assuming that is when they were fed. Anyways, if you want to catch planter trout with power bait, you need to be on the bottom and let the hook with the power bait float maybe 12-18 off the bottom, more if there are weeds. This time of year you probably won't catch much using a floater, the other thing we have out here are Ospreys so fish need to be deeper than the Ospreys can dive or they won't live very long.

Guys,

I haven't caught a single stinkin fish since I moved here 5 months ago.

I've fished at hagg lake.

I've fished in the Wilson river.

I've fished from banks.

From overhangs.

Hell, I've even gone ahead and braved the frigid waters of the Wilson river and fished INSIDE the river!

I have fished calm spots.

I have fished faster water.

I have fished patiently.

And yet I haven't caught a single fish! What does it take to catch a fish here? I grew up fishing in the midwest and always was able to land fish. Bass, trout no problem. I ALWAYS used worms to great effect.

And out here I have also used worms, to no avail.

I float fish, so I put one of those lead weights at the end of my line near the hook, and use a bobber to set my depth.

Can someone please school me up? My wife is gonna think I'm a failure of a man if I keep this losing streak up

Maybe it's because after that "thread" you started you might still smell like a Sasquatch? Try slapping your face in the water and see if you come up with a fish.... GOONEY GOO-GOO!

:s0140:

BTW- I'm just teasing you!! ;):D

OK OK if you don't catch a fish all weekend There is a sure fire spinner that works every time, dupont depends on how bad you want a fish....... Just kidding

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top