JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Videotaping the police and arguing with them, unfortunately, can be quite dangerous - even though it's legal. Doing so while open carrying could be fatal.

I didn't see him interfere with the stop in any way.

The videographer doesn't seem to have any purpose beside making a point, but he doesn't have to have one.

He definitely talks too much. And I hope he wasn't alone.

I say interfered because the officer had to ask him to step back. That's interference.

A guy in New Mexico approaches a traffic stop to video tape.

He's exercising his right to Open Carry.

here's the video that came about.
9 minutes long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwQQSo9YX4&feature=player_embedded

He shouldn't have approached the traffic stop and interfered. Period.

Interesting video for sure. The guy was foolish for approaching the cop to closely during his stop. The office asked him stand back and the guy complied; the officer was able to complete his traffic stop unimpeded.

The disturbing part follows, IMO, where the cops, either via ignorance or intentional lies, attempt to force the guy to show his ID, even though he is not legally required. Their reasoning for asking for ID is beyond moronic -- they want to know if he is a felon. Sure, felons just run around with guns in the open and approach police, with video camera and all.

I do not like to see police being "taunted" needlessly; however, far too often, police trample the rights if citizens and clearly use lies, intimdation and bullying...as this video pretty clearly demonstrates.

Good citizens know their rights and force the authorities to respect them.

Cheers,
DJM

I say interfered because the officer had to ask him to step back. That's interference.

He complied with the officer's order. In Oregon, at least, that's the standard for interference. I think he was an idiot for approaching that closely, as it didn't look necessary in this instance, but sometimes it is: at protests, the most common place officers attack and/or arrest people for videotaping, sometimes a videographer needs to be near the action to document what's happening.

Like most people would, a lot of officers feel really uncomfortable being recorded while they do the jobs. Too bad for them. Like they always say, "If you aren't doing anything wrong, what are you worried about?"

A guy in New Mexico approaches a traffic stop to video tape.

He's exercising his right to Open Carry.

here's the video that came about.
9 minutes long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwQQSo9YX4&feature=player_embedded

He shouldn't have approached the traffic stop and interfered. Period.

I would have harassed that guy too. He is just out to start a fight (something many of the camera carrying catch them in the act types seem to want to.)

To walk up to a cop, carrying a handgun, even holstered is extremely disrespectful and dangerous. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

guy with the badge makes the law, right? That's not how it works?

No. But realize that officers are usually looking very carefully for people wanting to shoot them, and approaching them with a gun, makes their job that much harder.

And the officer really just seems pissed off that someone would put him in that situation, where he had to consider drawing and pulling a gun on somebody who hadn't done anything wrong yet.

If you're going to go film a cop, at least take your gun off. It's a matter of respect in my opinion. But the guy filming this just wanted to start a problem.

What had the officer done? Pulled someone over for breaking a law. What was he going to fix by being there? Nothing.

No. But realize that officers are usually looking very carefully for people wanting to shoot them, and approaching them with a gun, makes their job that much harder.

And the officer really just seems pissed off that someone would put him in that situation, where he had to consider drawing and pulling a gun on somebody who hadn't done anything wrong yet.

What had the officer done? Pulled someone over for breaking a law. What was he going to fix by being there? Nothing.

As I stated in an earlier reply, I think the guy with the camera should have been more thoughtful about his approach, then again, the guy clearly complied when asked to back off. If he had wanted to shoot the cop, the cop would have been dead.

The cop might have been, as you state, "just pissed" for being put in that situation. But then the cop should have given the guy a lecture about not appreciating his approach while he was doing his job, and that is where it should have stopped.

After that point the cop (and the other one who showed up) lied and used intimidation to try and force him to produce ID. And are you not disturbed the manner and tone of the reaction of the police when a citizen asserts his rights?

We may not agree with this guys methods, but then I sometimes feel funny about the way journalist behave (the real ones, not the talking heads on TV). But are we all not pleased that some people are out there keeping public officials and public servants honest?

Cheers,
DJM

If you're going to go film a cop, at least take your gun off. It's a matter of respect in my opinion. But the guy filming this just wanted to start a problem.

is it presumptuous to think of everyone as a law breaking crazy out to kill you? Statistically, how many cop killers walk up brazenly to the officer with a video camera and holstered gun? You can take precaution to the nth degree.... so new law... all police officers in the commission of their duties have a 50 ft safe zone around them except for the perp they are dealing with, themselves, and other LEO. That should fix it. LIke the law to make sure and give room on the roadway around a patrol car with flashing lights that's pulled someone over.

Pardon me, but that guy is a jackass.

Somewhere early on I picked up on the phrase

"Philadelphia Lawyer."

Definition: Someone who talks out of both sides

Of his mouth at once, and/or jerks both ends of the chain at once,

With the express intent of escalating the situation,

For some warped sense of individual gain.

I don't buy it, not one little bitty.

And, by the way, it adds no end to the curse

Already heaped on responsible gun owners.

isher

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads