JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as for how critters taste....
It depends.

The diet of said critter...
Where the animal lives...
How it died...
Whether it was late season or early season...
How the meat was prepared...
Care taken or not taken in the meat processing...
How it is cooked....
Pretty much spot on.

I believe deer is often made into seasoned cover up wild flavors.
I suspect this could be true with the farm raised, mail order deer like you had but wild game is normally processed and packaged naturally - unless something specific is made from it like sausage or jerky.

As far as for how critters taste....
It depends.

The diet of said critter...
Where the animal lives...
How it died...
Whether it was late season or early season...
How the meat was prepared...
Care taken or not taken in the meat processing...
How it is cooked....

All of the above will affect how the meat will taste.
Andy

Most of my brother's gamey buck had to be fed to the dogs it was so impossible to eat. Will wild game ever have the yummy factor of domestic beef? Never.

Well maybe not for you....
I will take wild game over domestic beef anytime.

Oh man! double ditto this!

Will wild game ever have the yummy factor of domestic beef? Never.
If you are basing this on one bad experience only then it means nothing.

I too have had bad experiences with wild game (and never mine) - but the positives have far outweighed the bad!

Ive never had a bad tasting deer but ive always wondered if those that dont like deer take proper care in the field.
Andys advice is true. IMO especially the field dressing part.... Get it skinned and cooled as soon as possible and keep it that way all the way to the freezer...

Well maybe not for you....
I will take wild game over domestic beef anytime.

Your experience does not change anything with my post which you quoted.
The factors I listed in that post...will affect how the meat tastes.
Andy
I wouldnt even bother. This guy has some serious issues. He gets on here admitting that he knows nothing at all about the subject, has no personal experience, then proceeds to make absurd claim after absurd claim, acting like hes some sort of expert, like he knows everything, and arguing with others who actually do have knowledge about the subject. Hes a know nothing know it all. Cant tell him anything, because hes already an expert.

I will take wild game over beef anytime.

deer steak fajitas....
deer fajitas 2017_wm.jpg

I wouldnt even bother. This guy has some serious issues. He gets on here admitting that he knows nothing at all about the subject, has no personal experience, then proceeds to make absurd claim after absurd claim, acting like hes some sort of expert, like he knows everything, and arguing with others who actually do have knowledge about the subject. Hes a know nothing know it all. Cant tell him anything, because hes already an expert.

That seems a bit harsh. My impression is hes expressing scepticism on the idea of hunting to determine if its worth it to him.

Andy thats actually an old pic from the last deer I got but just the other week i made a bone in leg shank in the slowcooker that was incredible... (Freezer prep is important too). Id invite ya over for dinner if we lived closer... But youd probably have to bring one of your flintlocks for show n tell though. :)

Sometimes its not what is said ....its just how it is said.
( Or posted in this case with regards to the OP )

I can't speak for the what and why , in which the OP is basing his opinions on...as I am not him.
I can only relate my experiences...which are different than his.

Hunting for me is deeply personal.
I am truly experiencing life and perhaps death.
Each time I go out hunting , it is a different , yet enriching experience.
I hunt , therefore I am
( in the words from the song Of Wolf and Man )
Andy

So the OP mentioned his brothers deer tasted so bad they fed it to the dogs, if hes had some bad exposure from other hunters then I can see his skepticism... And thus his questions.
Why I posted the pic, if you take care of the game it is by far better than the best cut of beef.

I can only relate my experiences...which are different that his.
I concur with this - however he does not seem to have any relevant experience - and does not seem to accept the logical, rational and positive advice we have offered.

Instead he continues to impart odd, non-relevant references from Nat Geo, his mail order venison and african animal descriptions.

just the other week i made a bone in leg shank in the slowcooker that was incredible.

I was holding the shanks (and ribs) from my last deer to do something like a slowcooker preparation, as you describe. Instead, I opted to try corning them (corned venison). It turned out well and was a great way to get all of the usable meat from tougher cuts. I think I left it a few minutes too long in the pressure cooker after brining and likely dried it out a bit more than I should have as a result, but I'll correct that next time. It makes great corned venison sandwiches, or diced over salads.

Let's not be rough on the guy... he has been polite.

1. draw a tag for an "accessible" hunting unit: park the truck and a 5-minute hike, at the very most, to the stand on flat ground, I think many a deer "hunter" want convenience, little hoofing involved
2. draw a tag for a unit reputed to produce the best venison or the best trophies
3. draw a tag for units which limited numbers are issued for that particular unit

1. Oh my, I've never met a western hunter that expected or even hoped for that sort of hunt. We thrive on the entire outdoor experience, which includes hiking and "fair chase". The thought of blind hunting, other than bow season, reminds me of those places in Texas where they tie up an animal for you to shoot. I'm sure it's not that bad in the East and MidWest where game (whitetail) is in heavier woods or close in to farms cites, etc, but it's a very diff attitude and experience here in the West. You'll be hoofing it a lot. Better get used to the idea. "Convenience" is ordering deer meat from a game ranch, or going to the store to buy vittles.
2. The best venison is going to be determined by the avg size and age, as well as the food they eat. We have field deer, mountain deer, and sagebrush deer. In me experience FWIW: Field deer can be mild tasting, it depends on the other things they eat. Mountain deer tend to have that piquant piney taste. Sagebrush deer taste like sagebrush.
3. Yup.

My deer meat we used for mostly chili, spaghetti, burritos, etc.

I used all my venison for chili. It's great!!

A lot of deer hunt videos from the South, the Rust Belt, the Mississippi Valley, Pennsylvania, or the Plains states have this scenario. But all that terrain is low and flat. Southern Idaho is largely flat but high desert.

That is classic mule deer country. Be prepared for long hikes to glass over low ridges, up around rocky areas, etc. Long hikes and long shots from a flat shooting rifle. Make sure your shooting skillz are up to the challenge.

It does? Was this your experience with the venison you ate? Personally I have never eaten version. elk or any wild game that has tasted like 'eucalyptus leaves' - but then I have never eaten them either but know how they smell and no game I have eaten has this flavor.
The coastal blacktail buck (mule deer relative) my brother shot in NorCal had that menthol-like aroma but very strong.

Not sure about N. Cal, but S Cal was full of Eucalyptus when I lived there. Deer do taste like what they eat, but I didn't know they would browse Eucalyptus. Perhaps it was a sage taste instead???

Most of my brother's gamey buck had to be fed to the dogs it was so impossible to eat. Will wild game ever have the yummy factor of domestic beef? Never.

Feeding game meat to the dogs is not ok. Don't shoot it if you are not going to eat it!! That is NOT proper hunter ethics. Taking an animals life for your table fare means that the loss of that life should be respected. Native Americans always thanked the animal's spirit for the sacrifice of the animal's life.

Let that be a lesson to you considering whether to hunt big game in high desert!!!! If there is sagebrush around, you probably are going to have deer meat with a very strong taste.

Last Edited:
I was holding the shanks (and ribs) from my last deer to do something like a slowcooker preparation, as you describe. Instead, I opted to try corning them (corned venison).
I dont know how to corn anything by my god corned venison sounds incredible...

Hunting.
One can read all the books and articles one wants to...
As well as watching all of the videos and shows that are out there..
However...

There is no better teacher , than experience.
Provided that one is capable and willing to learn from one's experiences.
Every time one goes out hunting from the very first time to the last time , there will be a lesson to learn...
If one is open to it.

My views on hunting and hunters have changed over the years...all based on my experiences.
I would suspect many could say the same.
Andy

I dont know how to corn anything

I certainly didn't go into it with any special prior knowledge. Steve Rinella/MeatEater has a corning brine recipe for game that I used as a base, made a few modifications like we all do with recipes, and tried it. It turned out to be really easy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top