JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A compatriot in Waipahu, Hawaii sent me a NIB Mercator K55K Carbon Steel lock blade knife. These began life in Solingen Germany in 1867 becoming popular as "pack knives" for German "Soldaten". Their Carbon Steel blades take and hold, a wicked edge.

Since the 1950's these knives have grown shorter and also have become available with a Stainless Steel blades. (Mine has the original Carbon Steel unit).

Since WW2, these slim, flat, all metal, lock back knives that virtually disappear in your pocket began appearing in magazines such as Argosy, Field & Stream, Popular Mechanics and a plethora of other Men's periodicals. (Heck, I remember when they sold for a few dollars in the mid-1960's). For a while these became the knife carried by the South Bronx Gang members during that period.

This spear-point knife is a great pocket knife that I had forgotten about for more than half a century returned to my memory while perusing the knife forums. Now I have a childhood memory in NIB condition that I can carry anytime, anyplace without "telegraphing" it's presence.

FYI, they are running between $22.00 and $29.00 post-paid on e-bay. If you want a great pocket knife that won't "break the bank", holds a great edge, locks open like a bank vault and a history that would make the Kardashians blush with shame, look up the Mercator K55K Lock Blade Knife.

A great value on a highly durable (and useful) folding pocket knife, give it a "once-over". You'll be glad that you did. I promise you, it will not disappoint!

Last Edited:
I have one of those as well.
Its the carbon steel bladed version and it does indeed take a wicked sharp edge.
The knife as pointed out above is slim and does not "print" when in your pocket.
All in all a sturdy little folder well worth having.
These knives are a fine example of inexpensive but not cheap ...:)
Andy

Holy flip! I actually have one of these! I was given it while helping some friends pack up to move. Though this one's probably not as old as your guy's. The end cap/piece is a red plastic, and the handle is painted blue. Very unique looking knife.

Mine is brand new and it came from a member of the All About Pocket Knives Forum. It is black with the "cat" and the K55K beneath the leaping cat on the stamped metal handle. It reads Mercator - Germany at the base of the handle's spine as well as Mercator above Solingen on the blade's tang and Mercator on the reverse side of the tang.

This was an unsolicited gift. I will pass the Karma along.

Wow you know I have been a knife user and collector for all this time and never seen one of these. Looks like an awesome little knife, I just spent the last half hour reading about them....

Now I am going to need to get one...what a neat little go everywhere knife!
Thanks Captain O !

Buy one, Velzey. You'll fall in love! (I'm such an instigator). ;)

I love passing along information and history. So many things that were popular when I was a boy are still relevant 55+ years later. I enjoy reveling in the old, somewhat blurry-edged advertisements from the Men's magazines from days gone by.

These knives will be 150 years old this year and became wildly popular before and during WW1. While they may not have been officially issued by the Kaiser, these all metal knives were as popular with his troops as the Barlow was with both the soldiers of both the Union and Confederacy.

When I looked at these back in '62 (at the tender age of 7) they were in magazines alongside the other manual Japanese made, Italian "style" stiletto ads. These ran $1.75 and $2.75 postpaid from Westbury Sales, Long Island New York. (I remember sending away for them at the age of 10).

I wish that I had sent away for one of these instead.

IMG_1516.JPG
Like this guy right here?

View attachment 341618
Like this guy right here?

Not much gets by you, does it? ;) :D

These are long-lived, and have a great reputation for holding a good, no, a great edge! The steel isn't quite as hard as 1095, but it is light and carries like a dream. For the price being charged for the newer examples, they are well worth the money.

These are a simple, no-nonsense, "minimalist", no-frills knife. They are "working" pocket knives that have everything you need, nothing you don't.

Last Edited:
Not much gets by you, does it? ;) :D

These are long-lived, and have a great reputation for holding a good, no, a great edge! The steel isn't quite as hard as 1095, but it is light and carries like a dream. For the price being charged for the newer examples, they are well worth the money.

These are a simple, no-nonsense, "minimalist", no-frills knife. They are "working" pocket knives that have everything you need, nothing you don't.
God you sound like my wife. I want one!

God you sound like my wife. I want one!

Buy one. The prices are within reason. If you shop around you gan get one for less than $25.00.

Carefully put a razor's edge on it, and treat it within the realm of reasonable "pocket carry". Lube the folding joint and keep it clean and dry. You'll be a "happy camper" and you'll also quickly come to the understanding how and why they've been popular for a century and a half.

You'll begin to realize that your great, great grandfather was onto something. ;)

Try it, you'll like it!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads