JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Am I the only one on this forum who doesn't buy a firearm sight-unseen? Been reading post after post in the classifieds about this pistol or that pistol purchased but didn't like it, ordered but never fired. Who the hell buys a gun without at least holding the damn thing in your hand first?

I've bought guns I THOUGHT I'd like, but after a session or two at the range, didn't like something about it. Also made trades involving several in order to get one I was after, then selling off the ones I didnt want without ever firing them. Not so unusual as it first sounds.

Am I the only one on this forum who doesn't buy a firearm sight-unseen? Been reading post after post in the classifieds about this pistol or that pistol purchased but didn't like it, ordered but never fired. Who the hell buys a gun without at least holding the damn thing in your hand first?

Those posts you are reading are people selling at high prices.

Who buys a gun yesterday and then sells the same day or next day.

Don't believe everything you read.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

As time goes by and people know each other on a more personal level on their home forum, relationships are built and trust is earned. I've sent some of my building tools to a member that I trusted and he returned them in the same condition AND sent me a magazine as a thank you. Oregon to Florida and back...no problem.

I've purchased two rifles with nothing more than photos. One was a Match AR that functioned perfect. The other a shorty FAL that did not. The problem with the FAL was simple...I had to open the gas port hole in the bbl the get it to function reliably...was no problem for me since it was clear what was needed, however, someone less familiar may have cried foul and believed they were ripped off.

It's all about relationships and trust. If it's not there, then I stay clear.

Although I would not be completely opposed to buying a gun without holding it in hand (in the case of an honest collector piece represented fairly), I cannot recall ever having done so, save for one instance of buying a "New in Box" Interarms Mini Mauser (I had lots of experience with them, and knew precisely what I was getting).

Fortunately, there is almost a universal understanding amongst collectors and the gun trade that a gun purchased (other than in person) carries with it the right of three day inspection, during which time if, for any reason the buyer is not satisfied, he may return the gun (at buyer's shipping expense) back to the seller. Of course, common courtesy would indicate the buyer inform the seller of his reason for return, but such is not an absolute requirement.

This gentlemen's agreement does NOT extend to any privilege of the buyer to shoot the gun or otherwise affect the gun in any way from the condition in which it was received.

There are close to 2-million registered users on Gunbroker alone. Not to mention those buying/selling at Guns America, GunRunner, BuySellGuns, and all of the other various forums like this one, etc. etc. Thousands of guns per day are bought without being in hand.

A lot of those Gunbroker users are shill accounts, used to run prices up.

For the most part I am a collector, but never sell. I know what I want to add to my collection before I even start shopping. I Look for a good used gun (they all are old and cannot be obtained new) and usually buy online when I find one for the price I am willing to pay. I do not "buy it now" unless the price is in line with my research.

I only paid more than 'retail" for one gun...and it was unique (litterly, it was a prototype). As I'll probably never see another..I paid the asking price and did not wait for a better opportunity. Of course, this can backfire... I still don't have my 4" Colt Anaconda in 45 Colt..wasn't willing to pay $695 years ago, and am still not willing to pay the $2500+/- they are asking today.

If you are cautious, and you know exactly what you are looking for, using photos works fine. If you are a "buy it now" type, probably not so good.

For the foreseeable future, the only 'new' handguns I will be buying are Smith & Wesson revolvers that are either out of production, like their model 65, 19, 10, or 49 or the older versions I feel are better like the 686. I own and have owned enough of these to be fairly confident about what I'm buying off the innerwebs. I have yet to have a problem and I feel that, as with anything, if you do enough research, due diligence, and communication with the seller the results will be positive.

I have bought some seeing only pictures. My Ruger SR1911 and my Chiappa Firearms Rhino 50DS are two with which I did that. I have done FTF transactions with members here and would have nixed the deal if I saw something when doing the transaction. And most of my purchases have been at either NW Armory or The Gun Broker in Clackamas. There I can hold them and check them out. It is a risk doing online transactions. But I try to minimize the risks by dealing with those that have positive reputation and/or I've had interactions with.

i have bought and sold firearms online for several years, and find that the honest folks are out there, and there are many. i have had less than a handful of guns that were either mis-described, or had hidden flaws when received. i got a refund on every one except one. i also find, that in the gun community, the vast majority are good people.

I have purchased several guns online, new and used, without seeing more than the pics and in some cases having someone at the store describe details. So far no problems at all. I also once bought a new Ruger LC9 in person from a LGS. After handling and dry firing it for several days I decided to sell it and buy a Sig 938. So I sold the new LC9 to a local guy on the forum for the same I paid for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top