JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Taurus 24/7 pro DS, i have been shooting quite a bit(1500 rounds :D) since i picked it up less than a month ago. Every time I go out and shoot i come home and clean my pistol. I want to know if I’m missing anything or doing something wrong/"the hard way".

1. Pull out the locking pin, while the slide is locked back.
2. Push the slide forward and compress the trigger to release the slide
3. Flip the slide over and remove the spring assembly and barrel.
4. Clean all surfaces with "hoppes" solvent
5. Remove all gunpowder residues with solvent till cleaning pads come out mostly white
6. Lubricate all "interior" surfaces
7. Reassemble and point at the target on my wall till satisfied!

Here’s a pic of my new baby

taurus With laser.jpg

Sounds like you're hitting all the needed areas except the barrel. I'm sure that you do clean it out but just forgot to specify that. For themost part just break down the weapon into it's natural groupings and clean them. I do a little more when I clean my AR-15 than is recommended but that's because I've used those rifles since 1990 and learned a few tricks for cleaning from armorers.

Hopefully you clean the bore using a copper brush with your Hoppes. The thing I do is use an aerosol cleaner, and blast the areas good till clean clear residue drips out. You want to get that Hoppes off all the surfaces as Hoppes is a solvent and if left for a long time will damage stuff. I lightly oil using Mobil One 5-30, there are quality lubes out there,your choice. Nice gun, sounds like you are enjoying it. Bill

Adam, with a regular cleaning kit, you can get copper brushes that do an excellent job of bore cleaning, far better then the supplied brush. My procedure is to take the copper brush and soak it in Hoppes, then run it thru the bore a few times. After that using your cleaning rod run thru patches until clean patches come out or shoot an aerosol cleaner down the barrel, then run a patch. I've even used "Brake Clean Aerosol" from Walley World, then when the bore is clean run a patch with "Barricade" or "Break Free" or "Remington Gun Oil"on it. Hope this isn't to confusing. Keep shootin, it's fun. Bill

You want to get that Hoppes off all the surfaces as Hoppes is a solvent and if left for a long time will damage stuff

Not saying I know this to be not true but it sure is news to me. I've been using #9 since Fred Flintstone worked at Slate's quarry and never had a problem with it. Some shooters use #9 as their only lube (not me but I have read claims of it).

Doc, Ive used Hoppes before Fred Flintstone(still use it) but have a Colt Combat Commander in nickel with a chrome barrel. The chrome started to flake off after a long time and I read were Hoppes will cause that and it is a copper solvent, ya, so hence my warning on the cleaning of Hoppes on your weapon. It could react with some platings that are copper based as an example, especially all the new stuff that has come out lately. So I have after that been very careful to get all the Hoppes off my weapons after using it for cleaning. Bill

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top