Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I hate when...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Caveman Jim, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

my super CAD computer takes a dump!!!! Twice in the last 6 months!!!!! first time was registry errors, much needed maintenance & defragging....
    This time it was the $1200 ATI FireGL video card went TU!!!!!! thank goodness my super computer Guru had a stock HP 7000 series spare (an adequate replacement since I no longer do CAD drafting and do not need a $1200 video card)... AAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention that I hate technology because it costs me many cave clams!!!!! (hangs head in shame for being computer illiterate):rolleyes:

2. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

It__s_time_to_get_a_Mac_by_SirPenguinUbernoob.png

Joe13, BoonDocks36 and Oregonhunter5 like this.
  3. Caveman Jim

Well I boycott anything that starts with Mac so.....

It was built in 2009 so I guess it's outdated by now (more like 6 months it was OLD).
    I guess I'll keep taking my super computer Guru fish while it's hot to keep him fat, dumb & happy.....

4. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

If you have had computer component crap out twice in the last 6 months maybe you need a new guru. If your not doing any heavy lifting with it the components should be fine.

Redcap likes this.
  5. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

Power might be an issue as well, just guessing.

6. Caveman Jim

It is more about my lack of knowledge and how to maintain these infernal contraptions, they are fun for awhile then OOOPPPSSSS!!!! I want to fill it full of cement and use it as a boat anchor sometimes.....

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  7. JRuby

We may not see eye to eye but I have been working on computers since about 1980 - if you have questions I might be able to help explain something. I make my living from them. I cannot tell you how much sleep I have lost due to them in my career.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  8. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

5 years is good.
    Every year, blow out the dust. Let your guru do it if you don't know how.
    Get a UPS (UN-interruptable power supply) Protects your PC from commercial power hits, spikes, etc.
    My UPS alarms, just before power hits. Sure enough the lights flash, printer reboots, but my display and pc are unharmed. I can save my work and shut down before the backup battery runs down.
    Where I live, power hits happen quite often.

BoonDocks36, Caveman Jim and JRuby like this.
  9. Provincial

Provincial Near Salem, OR Well-Known Member

What Rick said! :)

10. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If your computer illiterate then I would reopen your mind to Macs.

The software and hardware is all made by them so I never have crashes or issues.

I still run a 2005 G5 for video editing and compression and it runs like a champ (always wish I had more power but it still works for what I need so it's not an issue) - a 9 year old PC would have been in the trash years ago.

I have been on the die hard PC bus but I eventually went back to Macs when I got tired of "tinkering" with my PC's.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  11. The Heretic

My MacPro:

8 Xeon 2.8 gHz CPUs

18 GB of RAM

Two dual DVI vid cards

Runs OSX, Window 2008 server, Win 7 and Linux - all at the same time.

And I bought it in early 2008 so it is over 6 years old, but it is more powerful than most computers people are buying today. Plus, OS upgrades are almost free.

But yeah, just boycott Macs. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    BoonDocks36 and Joe13 like this.
  12. The Heretic

Double post!

13. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Love my iMac

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  14. Caveman Jim

Have never had a Mac so not wanting to get one & not like it... Meh.

15. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Macs are great. They are very solid and just work, as long as your okay with using other Apple services. Because of this they don't get cluttered, and tend to have better performance longer. If someone is looking for a computer to surf the web, manage photos and music a basic Mac is a great option, no fuss.

For my and my wife we both are gamers so it's only PC for us. Ease of compatibility with more games and I build and upgrade my own, which cannot easily be done with Macs, Apple doesn't like people fooling with their hardware which helps them maintain stability and performance. I will always choose PC over Mac, but for most people just looking to surf, word process and manage pics they would be better served with a Mac in reality as long as they can get over the initial price.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  16. The Heretic

Macs are not good for hard core gaming simply because the vid cards available for them are usually not that performant for gaming.

That said, you can boot them up in Windows very easily.

I simply don't play games, so it is not an issue for me.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  17. The Heretic

If you've never had one, how do you know you won't like it??

I work every weekday on a Win 7 machine.

I have used just about every kind of workstation computer out there.

I started back in the days of Apple II and IBM PC (with an 8088 CPU). CPM, DOS, Unix, Linux, System 1 through 7, OSX, AIX, OS/2, QNX and Solaris to name a few.

OSX is still my favorite. Stable (only have to reboot it every couple of months, otherwise I just leave it running). Works and works intuitively. I don't have to mess with crap. The hardware keeps working and I don't need to keep getting new hardware to run new versions of OSX or apps.

Joe13 likes this.
  18. JRuby

I started off on computing loops - where you pinned the computing loops and used sychro, ball resolvers, and servos to adjust the equations. Primarily used for target motion analysis on submarines. MK101 FCS. Then worked on UYK7 and UYK43 mainframes then moved to Xenix when I got out of the service. I have worked on many flavors of Unix that many have never heard of and are probably obsolete such as QNIX and RMX, I believe that SCO fits into that. I have been working AIX since it was version 2.6 and Solaris since it was 2.4. My favorite is AIX followed closely by IBM Enterprise Redhat Linux. We once had a Dec Alpha that everyone had forgot the root password that was not rebooted for five years when it was decommed.Windows and Mac are good systems but I don't truly classify them as Enterprise level like I do Unix.

19. The Heretic

Underneath the hood, OSX is Unix. That said, I wouldn't use it as an enterprise server. A home server sure, but not in an enterprise - I would use Linux or maybe some form of Unix, depending on the purpose.

BoonDocks36 and Garg like this.
  20. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

My electronics rule-of thumb:
    Capacitors live for 10 years. Then they begin to fail.
    When they begin to fail, computers will exhibit all kinds of screwy symptoms.
    An indicator of a failing capacitor is it's top is bulging.

There was a rash of premature failures, still happening.
    A manufacturer had several recipes to make capacitors.
    A competitor stole one of them, didn't know it was a failed recipe.
    As most electronics come from that country, for the next several years zillions of electrolytic capacitors were installed. Products failed prematurely. Motherboards and power supplies were crashing all over.
    This summer my Viewsonic 22" display failed, bulging tops on electrolytic capacitors.
    I replaced the bulging eight and am back in business.
    slightbulged.jpg

Redcap and BoonDocks36 like this.