JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i have always built my own. i'm a high-volume shooter- i've been shooting less than ever before these last couple years, since the economy has been crap and work has been less than ideal, and i'm down to about 8,000 rounds a year. i've had years where i fired in excess of 15,000 rounds, through 2 or 3 different weapons. wasn't that long ago you could get xm193 for $0.16/round, and wolf for $0.08/round...

when i started building in the previous century, the parts options were pretty slim. we didn't have LMT, Sabre, KAC, BCM, daniel defense, etc, etc... we had Quality Parts Inc, Colt, and you could special order Armalite parts from a couple clearing houses, but we mostly used un-branded gunshow parts and ordered through Shotgun News- no clue what we were getting, and quality was terrible. but we'd modify parts in possibly/necessary- filing, polishing, fitting, etc, and they were really cheap, so buying extras didn't hurt too bad. the standard method was to build it up, see what failures you got, and adjust from there. once you corrected all the problems, "broke" it "in," you would have a rock solid gun, which you could then sell for twice what you had in it. we very quickly learned that QPI (quality parts inc) and Colt parts were more likely to be correct and less likely to break.. colt parts were usually three times as much as un-branded parts, and QPI parts were pretty much right in the middle- so my first half dozen ARs were probably 65% QPI guns, 20% Colt, with un-brands filling the rest. Bushmaster sprang up out of the QPI success, and for a while, became the gold standard. we LOVED QPI/Bushmaster parts. unfortunately, the times have since left Bushmaster in the dust- the technology has continued to improve, but they haven't embraced it, so nowdays i wouldn't buy anything but LPKs from those guys (and since they're over-priced, i wouldn't even do that). over the years, as the technical side has grown and more/better manufacturers have popped up, the selection is vastly improved, to the point where there are almost as many quality parts for barely any more money than crap parts- so there's pretty much no excuse to have crap parts in your gun. back in the day, you had to lap your bolts just to get them to lock up- now, you can buy the best bolt on the market for $10 more than the worst. why would anyone ever buy a delton bolt??

knowing where we're coming from, what's been a problem, whats been changed to address it, and what still needs to be done- the AR15/M16 platform is about as reliable a weapon platform as you're going to find. if you build using good parts or buy from a good manufacturer, your odds of having problems are very low. these days, my guns generally operate with a failure rate so low that it's basically non-existent. if i'm doing really custom stuff, it can take a little bit of effort to time the action- takes going to the range with different buffer weights, sometimes even opening up a gas port. but i've yet to find one that wasn't 100% after one or two fixes.

quality parts, thorough cleaning (yes- cleaning is actually important), and heavy lubrication. your gun WILL run.

I posted this in another forum he was complaining about it.

Very likley the bolt is a Del-Ton. Del-Ton contracted out for some bolts during the big gun buy. Unfortunately some of the ones they got in were improperly heat treated and are prone to failure around the bolt lugs. Del-Ton became aware of the issue and is offering a free replacement.

So it's not ARs failing, it's the poor workmanship from a sub contractor.

Bolt Issue - AR15.COM

Good to know! Thanks for posting the link. :s0155:

Our full auto demo gun has over 10,000 rounds through it and it is still running strong. I have built over 1000 AR's and have never seen one of our guns returned for that reason. There is a serious heat problem or metal failure going on with that bolt. Are you shooting brass cased ammo or steel case?

Having two colts and one bushmaster, and having fired countless rounds though all I have realized that my favorite go to weapon is my Golani Sporter.223. The Israeli's Got it right with this one! While its not full auto, it has NEVER failed to operate as it should. No Im not getting rid of the others anytime soon, but that little Ak knockoff is well designed and built. If anyone is looking for that next rifle and have never experienced the ease of take down, cleaning and reliability of one of these ugly little rifles,, I suggest you find someone that owns one and take it to the range ,,, provided they will part with it for a while. Good luck!

I had somewhere around 8,000 rounds through my Olympic Arms K3B before I decided to upgrade the barrel to a CMMG 1:7. The only failures I ever had were directly attributed to the ammo because of bad reloads. I've even been mean to it. YouTube - Testing my Oly Now that I have it's sighted properly I'm shooting all rounds center mass at 200 yards with about 1 round per second RoF with irons on a DPMS carry handle.

They are accurate, but finicky and prone to failures. I have spent more time fixing crap on them then shooting them. Semi Auto they work great. Full auto they are just crap.

Yesterday i had the bolt on one of mine break. granted i am not nice to my guns. i beat them. I like to see how they hold up. compared to other "battle rifles" the M16 / M4 is crap IMHO.

Feel free to disagree and discuss.

View attachment 201760

View attachment 201761

that bolt looks like it was made of pot metal. that really sucks about the breakage. i'm amazed at some of the stuff that makes it out to market...

#43 why an AK is better....

Seriously though...how many rounds you had through that? I've seen M4s get run through the ringer...never a bolt break. Firing pins and sear pins, but never a bolt.

*edit*

K...I see it was about 500rnds. Is it one of the Del-Tons?

shot mine after crawling through mud and sand, it was dirty inside and out (plenty of CLP on the bolt). I maybe had to use the forward assist a couple of times. never any breakages. how are you doing your bursts? Rambo style or short bursts? Rambo style marksmanship can be hard on many bolts whether it is from an AR/M4 or not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top