Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I hate a thief

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by SG85, Oct 15, 2013.

1. SG85

SG85 503 Member

My trail cams made it 3 months undisturbed but went back out yesterday and 1 is gone and boot prints lead right up to its former location. They are all on public land and not the easiest to get to either. I HATE A THIEF.

2. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I had the same problem awhile back. Had my name engraved in the battery compartment. I live in a small town and one of the things most upsetting to me is that if someone found my name in it they probably know who I am. I've decided against replacing mine. I hear too many stories of them getting stolen.

3. richdav

richdav oregon Member

Mine was stolen on private property just a few weeks ago. I feel your pain.

Richard

4. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Time to booby trap trail cams with dye packs!:winkkiss:

5. westcoastal

westcoastal north coast of oregon Active Member

The results would be epic. Open it up and get a face full.

6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

Either that or a virus that would melt their hard drive.

7. wcarroll19

wcarroll19 springfield New Member

I set mine up 15' in the air, apparently it was easy to pull the tree over to get to it as it was on the ground, roots showing and evidence of tree damage from the chain.

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I know a guy who set up a couple by a gate on his property to keep tabs on who's coming and going. One of the cameras was stolen but the other took a picture of the thief who he happened to know. Wish I could have seen him showing the thief the pictures and asking if he was planning on returning the camera.

9. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

My question is how you open it without getting inked

10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Sacrifices must be made.. ie a gross of cheap/sacrificial housings sprinkled all about. I hate thieves too. A GPS tracker and baseball bat would be sweet also.

11. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Ink? They deserve worse than that. The terminator booby trap comes to mind.

12. Smiddy

Smiddy Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Exactly why Ive never bought one. Too expensive to leave out on public land. My heart tells me people are good. My brain tells me the world is full of scumbags.

SG85, jbett98, Toxic6 and 3 others like this.
  13. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

As well as do gooders who don't like you shooting Bambi or bill the bull elk, Sally the squirrel, Gary the gobbler, fanny the fox, or Genie the grouse. Pity the forest service couldn't have intervened with their armored vehicle.
    Brutus out

14. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm.... heck of an idea - maybe I should call the guy we purchased the prison water cannon pepper spray from and get a little joint venture going. build dummy trail cams that gas the area with pepper and bright pink dye if tampered with (unless you have the remote to turn it off) and litter the area you want to place the real camera. That would be a fitting surprise for the thief - and with a little luck you could get the entire thing on film...

carracer and (deleted member) like this.
  15. SG85

SG85 503 Member

Dypacks would be awesome!!! I'm sure there is a way to make a fake cam from something. The dye could be released from a bit of rubber tubing under pressure like a paintball grenade. This is almost a stupid enough idea with pursuing.

carracer and (deleted member) like this.
  16. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

this is just a statment i in no way have commeted such and act BUT

so i am walking in the woods and this cam in the middle of no where takes my picture,,, i mean bubblegum the govenment and city have cams everywhere and now out here i have people watching me bubblegum that and took the cam and trashed it i mean it is out in the woods abandoned or lost etc etc etc

just saying

17. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Bigfoot doesn't like to be filmed! Leave Sasquatch alone or next time he will mess with more than just your trail cams.:paranoid:

18. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Everyone should have a mother in law like mine, the only thing of value that I ever stole was her daughter, of which I'm still paying for 35 years later. The sentence that keeps on sentencing. There are consequences for such behavior.

19. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think that every hunter that I know who uses trail cams has had one stolen! Some low life's can't resist. How about glueing an old lens on a Claymore! Sorry you guys have been victimized!

John, my M in law was a crazyazzed nightmare to her family! Took me abt 30sec to tell her to get the F out of my house and do a couple other impossible things to her self! Treated me, and my wife like we were golden for ever more! LOL!!!

20. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

LOL!