JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Never saw it start to fall." Typical ODOT worker? Oblivious to their surroundings? Makes sense.
A few weeks ago had I not been paying attention, like the odot worker, that large doe deer would have been a direct center hit and in all possibility been in our laps. I was paying attention and saw it when it came up over the left edge of the road and jammed the brakes and swerved a little. Hit it in it's hind end off my headlight box, right grill and right quarter panel. Funny part was Wifey was freaking out for the poor deer and never noticed the deer got spun 180 and took off right back the way it came from.

"Never saw it start to fall." Typical ODOT worker? Oblivious to their surroundings? Makes sense.
A few weeks ago had I not been paying attention, like the odot worker, that large doe deer would have been a direct center hit and in all possibility been in our laps. I was paying attention and saw it when it came up over the left edge of the road and jammed the brakes and swerved a little. Hit it in it's hind end off my headlight box, right grill and right quarter panel. Funny part was Wifey was freaking out for the poor deer and never noticed the deer got spun 180 and took off right back the way it came from.
The damn Deer get a few cars a year up here. Damn things get over populated where they can't be hunted. One morning a while ago at work I heard a call that one was running around the toll plaza for the large bridge. Answer was they called state wildlife. Hour later I am driving through there and see some poor guy in a small car, entire front smashed, dead deer laying in the road. I thought well the state guy will not have any trouble finding the deer now. :D One co worker bought a nice BMW Bike few years ago. Going home one day he see's one running along the hyway. So he tried to speed up to get away from it. As they so often do it then runs right in front of him and he gets it broadside at 60. He managed to not lay the bike down and got stopped. Deer laid there stunned for a few then jumped up and ran off. Cost the poor guy several K to fix the damage to the bike. Another co worker went down on his bike after nailing one out there and bought one of those deals you mount that are supposed to make noise to scare them off with the wind going past them. Said he is not sure if they work but he has not had another one run out in front of him for a while. They can be a big PITA here.

The damn Deer get a few cars a year up here. Damn things get over populated where they can't be hunted. One morning a while ago at work I heard a call that one was running around the toll plaza for the large bridge. Answer was they called state wildlife. Hour later I am driving through there and see some poor guy in a small car, entire front smashed, dead deer laying in the road. I thought well the state guy will not have any trouble finding the deer now. :D One co worker bought a nice BMW Bike few years ago. Going home one day he see's one running along the hyway. So he tried to speed up to get away from it. As they so often do it then runs right in front of him and he gets it broadside at 60. He managed to not lay the bike down and got stopped. Deer laid there stunned for a few then jumped up and ran off. Cost the poor guy several K to fix the damage to the bike. Another co worker went down on his bike after nailing one out there and bought one of those deals you mount that are supposed to make noise to scare them off with the wind going past them. Said he is not sure if they work but he has not had another one run out in front of him for a while. They can be a big PITA here.
I've been driving 50 years, last year now. Spent many many miles in rural areas, forests, mountains. Seen plenty of deer, never had to hit the skidders to keep from hitting one. THIS time, there was a big white dog running balls out on the field next to the road. I said to the wife, "That dog's chasing a deer!" I never SAW the deer. A night or two before we'd watched North Woods Law and a guy had got a citation for allowing his dog(s) to run loose, chasing deer. Two seconds after I'd said that, I saw that deer came up onto the road.

A few weeks ago had I not been paying attention, like the odot worker, …
Sounds like you have a major problem with state workers. Are you the guy that spits on the flaggers as you drive by?

People don't focus on road hazards 100 ft in the air, where the top of the tree started moving. I doubt any person, ODOT worker or not, would have recognized the tree was falling, let alone had time to process the proper reaction to avoid a collision.

Sounds like you have a major problem with state workers. Are you the guy that spits on the flaggers as you drive by?

People don't focus on road hazards 100 ft in the air, where the top of the tree started moving. I doubt any person, ODOT worker or not, would have recognized the tree was falling, let alone had time to process the proper reaction to avoid a collision.
I generally appreciate the public servants on the ground. It would be the the higher up's that have become useless and a waste of tax payer dollars. Only a dick would spit on flaggers. They have nothing to do with the messes their higher up's create. I'd ask you, are you one of the new groups that seem to have a limited field of view? And/or lack the ability to concentrate on the task at hand while you're behind the wheel? Cell phone up in your field of view so you can futz with it while your driving?

I'd cut him some slack. Being trained to lean on a shovel in no way prepares one for quick action.

Lol
Now THAT I don't believe is their fault, necessarily. Not any worse than any other public or private entity. That, once again I believe is lame supervisors and managers. What else are they supposed to do when the truck with the gravel is 45 minutes late? They stand there looking in the empty hole that needs the gravel while leaning on their shovels. Looks better that laying on one of the neighbors lawns nearby. :)

Clearly, we are now in dire need of replacing ALL trees with the new "smart trees" that are wi-fi enabled, so each tree can notify the proper authorities when it is about to fall.
Don't worry, it's probably already on the BBB (Biden's Butt-Buddies) bill, and it won't cost anything. :rolleyes:

No longer will tree's that fall in a forest but fall unseen by humanity be ignored!
Tree Equity will be finally achieved... now, why do white men allow some trees to be taller than other trees? :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top