Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I had an idea to improve security for gun safes

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Mark W., Oct 13, 2012.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I was thinking about a recent thread where a guys firearms were stolen partially due to the fact he left his safe unlocked.

Hmmmm what if you put a momentary off push button switch on one of the locking lugs of your safe so that when locked the switch would open a circuit. You then rigged up a simple LED light at eye level at the door or doors you leave your house through. So that if the safe was unlocked you would see a little red light as you exicted the house.

Granted running the wires and working out some of the details could be beyond many peoples DIY skill set.

But I thought I would put the idea out there.

I am planning on using this idea on my firearms storage.

If there is real interest in this idea I could draw up and post a simple circuit diagram and find some sources to get people started.

2. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

All you would need is a micro-switch (lever type) that could be double-sided taped so that it closes when the door is closed. If you get one that is NC (Normally Closed) then when the door is shut it would break the circuit...when the door is open it would close the circuit. With a low-power DC supply (or battery) it would be all that would be needed (plus wire to the LED) to light it up when the door was left open.

Here is a link to a sample switch @ Amazon.

3. Mark W.

yep that and trying to figure out how to get the wire to the door without the wife killing you for running it across the dinning room ceiling LOL

Though I think it would be best if placed so that the locking pins were actually locked. Otherwise you could shut the safe and not lock it and the light would go off giving a false reading. Same switch could be mounted to work with the pins/bolts in the locked position.

4. BrentN

BrentN Kelso Active Member

Okay, I'm missing something here- can't most safe doors be closed, and lugs extended, without actually locking? Similar to the door on a house, the door can be closed, but anybody can come along and turn the knob and open the door. The door is not really secure until the knob is locked to keep it from turning.

5. beezer66

beezer66 Salem, OR Active Member

True for dial combos, digital keypads lock after time delay. The light idea would harder to work with on a dial, because the dial has to be spun off the last number.

6. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

Or you could just close the door and lock it every time. I would prefer to re-enter the combo to open it again than to leave it unlocked by accident.

7. TDH

TDH Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It could be done wirelessly - I have a unit I bought on ebay a few years ago that monitors my garage door. The switch and transmitter is attached to my garage door, I have a little unit upstairs that has a an led on it, if it's flashing then the door is open. I'm sure you could modify something like that unit and change the switching arrangment.

8. Mark W.

I was not aware of that feature of safes. My storage while similar to a safe door is quite different. If the lugs are extended while the door is closed its locked.

9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a pretty simple system that I use when I am going back and forth to the safe. My safe allows me to dog the door and only lock the dial with a key, so that while I could possibly walk away with the door unlocked I never, ever walk away without my keys in my pocket! This goes for tool boxes, vehicles, exterior doors, anything. Using the key let's me access the safe without the hassle of constantly running through the combination and when I'm done I spin the tumblers and lock the dial again. I don't know if other safes use a similar system but this works even with my creaky memory.

10. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

^^^This

I have to do the same thing with my front door... I've never needed a LED on my house to let me know the door is locked, same with my safe.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

How about a buzzer or such on the door that goes off after so long if you haven't closed and locked the safe. And a snooze button if you are working in and out of the safe
    Crossed with a alarm if you leave the room before doing so.
    Keeping the wiring to a minimum.

12. Mark W.

The point of the idea was to remind you that one time you forget.

But if you never ever ever forget then either your not in your safe very often or way more OCD then most people.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  13. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

Way more OCD than most.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Not OCD enough actually. A buddy and I were pondering how to have our safe's email us if they are opened. Sure it would email me when I open it, but if I'm traveling and my emails me that it has opened I know there is a major issue.

We were looking at rigging an Arduino device with a wireless connection and mini-mail client to email yourself. It could work out fairly easily and then you have something not only when you are walking in the door but anywhere in the world.

15. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My Refrigerator alarms if the door has been open too long.:paranoid:

Jack...:cool:

16. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

You can get a wireless IP camera with motion detection for $50 - $100 that will email you a picture. They are all over Amazon and EBay.

17. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

There you go, all done. :) That would work, especially if you have a nicer safe with a power outlet built into it already.