JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Traveled this 4th to Newburg, Lincoln City and Sandy Oregon, On the way out saw a driver that passed me pulled over by a Stater that was going the opposite direction and flipped around to get him for speeding. I explained to my wife how they had the ability to radar you while going the opposite direction. 3 days into trip, Great and uneventful, 4th day on my way home between Madras and Redmond I passed an SUV that I realized much too late was a Stater, Looked in my rear view and saw him flipping around to come after me! LOL. He stopped me and said he had clocked me at 70mph and asked me what I had thought I was traveling at. I told him I honestly thought I was going approx 60mph when I passed him and saw him turn around. He then took my license and info and said you have a concealed weapons permit, do you have a weapon in the car? I said yes we do and he asked where it was. My wife and I both pointed to where it was (it was not visible to him) and he said ok, hold tight Ill be right back and he went to his car to run my info. A couple of minutes later he returned and said "it appears that you have an impeccable driving record" to which I laughed and said up until now. He smiled and said Im giving you a warning, 70 is a bit fast slow it down and have a good evening. I told him I would and thanked him and we were both on our way. This officer seemed very unfazed by the fact that my wife and both had CWP's and that we had a weapon in the car, We were honest with him and he was very kind and fair with us. It was nice to meet a LEO of his caliber after all the horror stories you see about cops freaking out and over reacting when they know a weapon is present. And in some way it made me feel good in knowing that they were out there doing their job and trying to keep the roads safe over this holiday weekend. Oh yeah, And I told my wife that I was just proving my point to her about their ability to radar you in passing LOL.:s0114:

Goes to show how your attitude can dictate how smooth or rough an encounter with law enforcement will be. If you're cool, calm, and collected to them, they'll be the same way back. If you wanna get lippy, expect to have a rough encounter.

Most* troopers tend to be more receptive to responsible firearm owners.
I was pulled over outside of springfield on I5 and had my handgun openly displayed on the passenger seat.

Trooper got my info and drivers lisence, came back and told me to have a safe trip home. Didnt seem fazed at all.

Again, tailing on what cuthbert said it is all about how you interact.

Things can go south quickly if your lip aint pointed north.

Quite some time ago I dropped a friend off in Beaverton and on my way back I stopped at a convenience store and realized my front tire was running extremely low and I had a head light out. I hadnt been to that area in a long time so I decided to boogie home as quick as I could, next thing I know I'm lost on Hall boulevard and there's red and blue lights behind me. I drove for a full minute with my blinker on trying to find a decent place to pull over.
When he asks me how's my night going I said " I'm lost, my trucks falling apart, and now I'm talking to the police." He chuckled and said that he pulled me over for the head light and that he was NOT going to give me a ticket. He then gave me directions to sherwood and said to get the light fixed. I wish I had got his name service like that should not go unrewarded, be calm tell the truth and if they do give you a ticket you can argue it in court.

Im beginning to think its a CHL correlation and how you approach the officer. On the 2nd i got pulled over heading down to california and i handed my CHL and informed the officer that i wasn't carrying at the time due to my travels. She asked how fast i thought i was going (she said i was paced going 80) and i told her i honestly didn't think i went over 70 (in a 65). She came back and gave me a warning and let me go on my way.

Another instance was the complete opposite, portland PD officer claimed i was going 55 in 35 in traffic which was impossible on MLK after a blazer game. I never handed him my CHL nor informed him if i was carrying or not but was very polite with him. He was very defensive and rude the entire time and gave me the ticket. Later at court when i came in with hard proof to show i wasn't speeding he agreed to traffic school before we spoke to the judge. His reasoning for my speed was how loud my car was.

When I lived in Central Oregon (1999-2002) you could reliably go 65-70 on the open highway without getting pulled over at all. A LEO friend of mine even told me that no one would pull you over for anything under 65 and the Deschutes County Court wouldn't convict anything under 70. I take it that's no longer the case?

At no point in my entire life (46 years) have I ever encountered a rude or disrespectful police officer. At no point in my entire life have I ever been rude or disrespectful towards a police officer. Who knows, maybe its just an odd coincidence.

I have three friends that are LEO's and they all say that your attitude is one of the biggest factors in whether or not you get a ticket. In my 30+ years of driving I have never gotten a ticket I didn't deserve and I've not gotten many more due to how I interact with the officer.

I wonder how many officers would get upset if your only response was" I plead the 5th". And to add to my encounter I had been going though insurance info earlier that day and forgot to put my registration back in my truck when he asked for that all I could say was "thats back at the house..." Still didn't give me a ticket, maybe he found it funny how bad my nite was going.

I wonder how many officers would get upset if your only response was" I plead the 5th". And to add to my encounter I had been going though insurance info earlier that day and forgot to put my registration back in my truck when he asked for that all I could say was "thats back at the house..." Still didn't give me a ticket, maybe he found it funny how bad my nite was going.

They get real uppity, real quick. I assert my 5th Amendment right every time I deal with those bubblegums.

He stopped me and said he had clocked me at 70mph and asked me what I had thought I was traveling at. I told him I honestly thought I was going approx 60mph when I passed him and saw him turn around. He then took my license and info and said you have a concealed weapons permit, do you have a weapon in the car?

Jim, can you clarify? Did you hand the officer your Oregon CHL along with your Drivers License?

Some people on here get all uppity about the fact that disclosure is not required, but to me nothing says "I have no felonies" faster than my Good Guy with a Gun card.

Jim, can you clarify? Did you hand the officer your Oregon CHL along with your Drivers License?

Some people on here get all uppity about the fact that disclosure is not required, but to me nothing says "I have no felonies" faster than my Good Guy with a Gun card.

No I never gave him my CHL, It either came up when he ran our plates or he spotted my wifes in her wallet when we were looking for our insurance card.

When I lived in Central Oregon (1999-2002) you could reliably go 65-70 on the open highway without getting pulled over at all. A LEO friend of mine even told me that no one would pull you over for anything under 65 and the Deschutes County Court wouldn't convict anything under 70. I take it that's no longer the case?

Apparently not, I know that at times I was traveling at 75 and still had cars that were passing me like I was crawling, If you do the speed limit these days you will either get rear ended or road raged LOL. Being that it was a Holiday weekend they were out in great numbers, I saw no less than 6 State Troopers (Including the one that pulled me over) From Madras to Bend

I may be the Odd Man Out, but I abhore traveling on holiday weekends, I just don't do it (very seldom) !!!!

Last year, Christmas, my eldest begged me to come up to Ptown, I said, yeas a day early, and leave a day late, no other way... And afterwards, I told her, "thats my last Holiday trip".

The Road Rage alone, will elevate my BP to much, and I Don't have problems ith BP !!!! I drive tne speed limit, everywhere, call me an old fogy, I got THICK SKIN !!! I believe that (up to a certain point) Laws are made to help us.

But then I have been in an extremely severe wreck, due to a Five time loser DUI, in a Stolen Car (or so Mommy told the Stater) he impacted my Chevy 9 Passenger SW, at excess of 95 MPH, and spun my SW 180 degrees so North pointed South, and the driver behind me was so close when He Stopped, I could see the Whites of his Eyes!!!

With Few exceptions, most of my life I have lived On or Near bad Streets, HWY, or Interstate... Now,

philip lives
In the Boondocks, and loves it !!!!

I got nailed down in that area by a Jefferson County deputy. He got me as he passed the opposite direction, doing about 75 (yes, I was doing that, no argument there). I saw him turn around and come after me. I was polite to him and he was to me, but it still cost me a ticket. I actually got off with a small fine and nothing on my record as I had a clean record at that point and they offered to let it be wiped off the slate if I took a Saturday class. I opted for the class to keep my record clean. He never mentioned my CHL, and I did have my pistol on me, but I didn't mention it to him. Honestly, of all people, the police should be the least concerned about those who are legal CHL holders - they're the ones that have taken the time to get the full background checks and register with the state/county. Honestly, when was the last time an officer was shot by a CHL holder? Has it ever happened?

I got pulled over because I failed to signal, when the police woman came to my window she asked for insurance, regis, and dl. I had everything except my insurance card, so while my wife was still searching, I asked if I was supposed to let her know that I have chl at the same time I was handing her my permit. She had a look on her face like oh you're one of the good guys and asked if I have a firearm in the car. I said no. She said if I was carrying then I should let her know. Anyway it seemed like nothing mattered once I told her I have a chl and she let me go.

About 10 to 12 years ago I got pulled over by a youngish OSP about 10:30 PM. Two of my other motorcycle buddies and I were headed back from a youth detention facility outreach and I am riding in the middle. We are on the road near Mt. Hood headed back to WA and its mid May. Still lots of sand on the road and we have been riding all day from Nevada. We'd seen lots of deer so we are riding in the middle of the road. Now he slides in behind me and follows us for several miles then the gum ball machine goes off. Now, my 1976 CB750 had a 4 in to 1 megaphone exhaust and at 60 to 70 MPH howls pretty good. So my hearing isn't perfect at that moment. Now mind you I am wearing a vest with a Christian back patch on it and a cross on the front. I am pulling my helmet off as he walks up to me. First thing out of his mouth is: ARE YOU CARRYING A GUN, KNIFE OR OTHER CONTRABAND? Not thinking I heard him clearly I said, "Excuse me, officer?". So he repeats it and I say "no, no sir." Then he asks if I knew why he pulled us/me over? (in the middle of three bikes remember he picked ME) So I say no, then he asks why I was riding in the middle of the road and I told him we were on our way back from Nevada to WA and have been seeing live and dead deer on the road several times. So, a lengthy lecture on staying to the right and he lets me go with a warning. It kinda ticked me off that just because I was in leather he assumed I was loaded for bear.... Now I CC in WA but will change my ways if I ride through OR. In the dozen or so times in my life I have been pulled over, about half on the bike and half in the car that's the only time I have been asked that. And half those times I didn't get nor deserve a ticket.

Brutus Out!

County mounts have a ceiling speed limit of 30 mph on holidays. If you go above that your getting a ticket. So doing 75 mph in a 55 won't get you one. Have bad lengthy talks about this while being pulled over. I've had probably 20 tickets in my days. Need to use the cc trick. My brother does in Idaho and never gets a ticket. And he drives FAST cars.

Im beginning to think its a CHL correlation and how you approach the officer. On the 2nd i got pulled over heading down to california and i handed my CHL and informed the officer that i wasn't carrying at the time due to my travels. She asked how fast i thought i was going (she said i was paced going 80) and i told her i honestly didn't think i went over 70 (in a 65). She came back and gave me a warning and let me go on my way.

Another instance was the complete opposite, portland PD officer claimed i was going 55 in 35 in traffic which was impossible on MLK after a blazer game. I never handed him my CHL nor informed him if i was carrying or not but was very polite with him. He was very defensive and rude the entire time and gave me the ticket. Later at court when i came in with hard proof to show i wasn't speeding he agreed to traffic school before we spoke to the judge. His reasoning for my speed was how loud my car was.

Hard proof to show you weren't speeding???? Were you traveling with a judge?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top