JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just going to give a quick reminder to be sure of your transactions. I made the mistake of getting scammed on here buying a knife. The user has now been banned. It is now an expensive lesson that I will take with me through other transactions on this site.

-Use users who have positive feedback
-When receiving photos have them include the date and their username
-if your spidy senses kick in, listen to them.

Take care guys and stay safe out there.

Things are going to change a bit this year. I think the new rules effecting PayPal and the like are going to make thing easier for scammers.

The old rule was don't use "friends and family" payment methods for people you don't know, because you have absolutely no recourse, but now many/most will refuse safer methods because of the new rules.

I know I won't take paypal payment any more, except a personal transfer. I'm not a business, don't buy and sell for a living or profit. I don't want to accidentally hit the $600/year limit and have to deal with another tax document.

I don't want to accidentally hit the $600/year limit and have to deal with another tax document.
This ^^. It's now in effect for ebay, Gunbroker, and other third party facilitators. If you want to keep up selling on Gunbroker, make sure you have receipts from when you bought it. That could make a big difference in paying tax on the full sale price. If you can document what you paid, you may subtract that from the sale price at tax reporting time. Keep this in mind in a liquidation situation.

Things are going to change a bit this year. I think the new rules effecting PayPal and the like are going to make thing easier for scammers.

The old rule was don't use "friends and family" payment methods for people you don't know, because you have absolutely no recourse, but now many/most will refuse safer methods because of the new rules.

I know I won't take paypal payment any more, except a personal transfer. I'm not a business, don't buy and sell for a living or profit. I don't want to accidentally hit the $600/year limit and have to deal with another tax document.
Yep, cash or forget it.

I posted an ad for a genset at Amazon in Great Deals

Then I searched for comparison prices and found same genset for 30% less and posted that in the same thread.
Then I did a bit of research and found out that the supposedly local/US seller and found myself going down a rabbit hole. No valid address or phone #. Must pay with Paypal, Recent website only months old put up by owners overseas. Red flags galore.

I got lazy - should have done research first. Pretty sure website was a copy of a nicely done valid website. Glad I found out in time and removed the link.

Do your checking.

Just going to give a quick reminder to be sure of your transactions. I made the mistake of getting scammed on here buying a knife. The user has now been banned. It is now an expensive lesson that I will take with me through other transactions on this site.

-Use users who have positive feedback
-When receiving photos have them include the date and their username
-if your spidy senses kick in, listen to them.

Take care guys and stay safe out there.
How did you get scammed exactly? The specifics will help others know what to look out for

I'd be curious to what the item is, and how much less it would have been over buying on a reputable knife selling website?

How did you get scammed exactly? The specifics will help others know what to look out for
Good questions and something I should have included. I was buying a benchmade model 42 for the average amount of $$ they have been going for these days. Seller was polite and sent me a message that he had one. The seller sent photos which I then sent the seller some money through zelle. After the money was sent I found the same photos online from 2017. Seller must have used those photos to send me. There was zero communication from the seller after trying to get a message across after finding the duplicate photos.

Like I said, an expensive lesson. Will be more cautious from here on out

Good questions and something I should have included. I was buying a benchmade model 42 for the average amount of $$ they have been going for these days. Seller was polite and sent me a message that he had one. The seller sent photos which I then sent the seller some money through zelle. After the money was sent I found the same photos online from 2017. Seller must have used those photos to send me. There was zero communication from the seller after trying to get a message across after finding the duplicate photos.

Like I said, an expensive lesson. Will be more cautious from here on out
Sounds like you posted a WTB ad ?
The scammers home in on these ads like flies to fresh poop.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top