So, we started feeding the birds the last two years and this Winter I notice spore that could be rat or squirrel spore on my deck and just a couple of days ago in my garage. I suspected a rat, but wasn't sure until this afternoon when I went into the garage to get into my safe and saw the furry brown vermin scurrying thru the garage. We are part of the problem as we have left some bird seed out on the patio and in the garage unprotected and the rat has taken advantage of our carelessness. We intended to remedy that and remove the food sources immediately. My question is this, I have been told that once they find a comfy place to live (near my furnace in the garage where the pilot light keeps it warm) they are very hard to eradicate. I am considering using poison, but am hesitant to do so. Any suggestions, or is poison my best route?