JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20160909_105415.jpg So I went fishin for jacks on the Chehalis, two king & one Coho measuring 15-18".
Can't wait till Friday when it opens for adult kings & Coho!!!

I like to use my light steelhead setup which is a Lamiglas 9' 6-10# test line. A guy could give the fish an advantage with an ultra light setup but I want to eat them fishies, not play with em.... :eek::eek::eek::p

Meats meat and a man's gotta eat. Most steelie rods are gentle enough action to make smaller fish fun anyway. I once broke in a new steelie drift rod by throwing crankbaits for bass - and even had a little fun reeling in an 8 inch bass on it. :D

Well all the hype for the opener on the Halis was for not....
Not a single Coho & all the kings we caught (4) were unclipped hatchery fish so we brought home zilch for 2 days of fishing!!!
There is no friggin way that WDFW is worthy of a penny in increased fees to fish in this state!!!
But the stewards of the lands get to keep the unclipped hatchery fish.... smells fishy to me.....

I always enjoyed fishing for Jacks with 8-10lb line and 2ft of 6lb leader. Add a small corkie to the head of the leader, with a section of night crawler skimming the surface about 60ft out back, while trolling. I bout lost my pole a few times. WHAM!!

Nice keepers there, Jim

This in the only thing I miss about living up there in the N.W. SteelHead fishing! We get a lot of big Trout down here, but it's just not the same thing! Still, I use a light weight, light action Drift rod and have a blast with the fishing down here! Small Corkies, Light line, and long casts make for serious fun!

I always enjoyed fishing for Jacks with 8-10lb line and 2ft of 6lb leader. Add a small corkie to the head of the leader, with a section of night crawler skimming the surface about 60ft out back, while trolling. I bout lost my pole a few times. WHAM!!

Nice keepers there, Jim

Those pesky Jacks will hit plug cut herring!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
I gotta love almost any fish that hits my offerings...;)

Ah, you crazy fishermen!
I used to be especially fond of fishing for Shad on the Columbia River, with medium trout tackle and 8# line! Those little torpedoes snap sideways in that big current and they'll test you're knots big time! Shad roe and scrambled eggs ummm!

Great job Jim! :D

Thanks Steve, Shad are now on my fishing bucket list!!!! It's not like I don't already fish for dozens of species and now I have to add another.... thanks buddy......;););)

Yeah we are a crazy bunch aren't we? Especially those dyed in the wool steelheaders!!!!!o_Oo_Oo_O:eek::eek::eek::cool:

Last Edited:
I went to the Hump yesterday - plenty of fish, and all were bright.
Where I fished it was obvious the meathead population is out in full force already. On two consecutive casts I pulled of multi treble hook snagging rigs, and about 15 people were flossing kings out of a hole the size of most peoples living room.

I went to the Hump yesterday - plenty of fish, and all were bright.
Where I fished it was obvious the meathead population is out in full force already. On two consecutive casts I pulled of multi treble hook snagging rigs, and about 15 people were flossing kings out of a hole the size of most peoples living room.

The Hump used to be a great river, like the Nisqually but with gill netting and WDFW managing paper fish instead of the actual resources it is all but a shallow pool.
I wonder if the staggers from the Skokomish have eyed this stream?

Well folks I'm getting bored with the way my local river is not producing keeper fish..... 3 trips & all fish hooked had to be released...
I know each year is different and this is as bad as I've ever seen it.
But DAYUUUUUMMMMMM......:eek::eek::eek:

The Hump used to be a great river, like the Nisqually but with gill netting and WDFW managing paper fish instead of the actual resources it is all but a shallow pool.
I wonder if the staggers from the Skokomish have eyed this stream?

Oh I am sure they will be coming in caravans this year, now that the snagfest is over up on the Skok. Some will even bring their ladders.

I'm sure they will fit in real well at Stevens Creek

We used to fish the gravel bar across from Steven's Creek for a week every year around Christmas for steelhead.
I miss that but I'm not putting my F-350 through them sippy holes with 3' of water, I had to replace the hubs on my 98 Ranger because of it.......:mad:

I can remember driving that road after a big Fall version of a Pineapple Express hit back in the 90s. The road in was horrible - 4WD all the way in and the bottom of the gravel bar had a three foot creek to cross to access it. I crossed the creek the first time no problem (was driving a Jimmy S15 Jimmy with some aggressive meats on the rims). The way back I ran into a little problem when my aggressive meats lost contact with the gravel and I started drifting into that big hole at the bottom of the bar!!!

Somehow before I managed to not drown the tires caught gravel again and I started moving forward, all the while I was looking for a stick to scrape the bubblegum out of my shorts!!

Never again. Never going down that road again, I will cast from the hatchery side

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top