JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With many years of traffic enforcement under my belt I would recommend...don't hire a lawyer. The best thing you can do is explain exactly what happened. Cops make mistakes. I've been wrong before and gladly admitted when I did so. Judges understand that as well. I would contact the court and ask them how to request discovery for the officers training records, maintenance and testing records for the Laser, etc. Your driving history is a major consideration. Sorry for saying this, but I have never, ever, encountered someone with a radar/laser detector who had it to promote safe driving. Be that as it may, a health care worker on his way to work..... I doubt any judge would allow the ticket to stand as it is. I would be willing to bet that he'll make it a warning. Above all else, don't BS anyone.
Good luck I wish you well and thank you for your service.

Not that this will help your particular case, but I had a similar issue with Beaverton police at hwy 26 eb at 217. I was in a 1990s jeep Cherokee with the old 4L straight 6. It was running on 4 of those 6 cylinders at the time. I was told I was doing 70 in a 55, when the jeep couldn't have hit 70 if I tried. I was being passed by another vehicle at the time, and still believe it was the other vehicle they lasered. I was young at the time, so I never fought it, but imho you're getting hosed.

I wanted to post my experience and I am interested in hearing any advice you may have.

So on April 2020 I was driving to work (hospital employee). I was on 26 East bound at approximately 9:40PM going to downtown Portland from Beaverton. I was on the far right lane and going about 55 MPH (that is the posted speed limit). As I am passing the zoo exit, I see a dark SUV on the West side on ramp. Immediately I figured it was an unmarked unit.

I use waze GPS and a Valentine 1 radar/laser detector. I drive safe and within the speed limit, the detector is just to let me know if any speed traps are near me. Do I go two or three miles over the limit sometimes? yes, but I do not drive crazy. When I am on the back roads, sometimes I do drive a bit spiritedly.... come on now, I drive a manual Mustang lol, but I digress. Oh btw I haven't had a ticket in like eleven years....

So I see what appeared to be an unmarked unit around the zoo exit, I was not concerned much as I was driving within the speed limit. And I should mention that I did not receive any laser warnings, and I will get to that in a bit.

So after the zoo exit, speed limit falls to 50 MPH. As I approach the 50 MPH zone, I take my foot off the gas and just coast (while in gear) and my speed drops down from 55. I was probably not going 50, maybe 52 or 53. Of course I still had to slow down a bit here and there before the tunnel because while in gear and coasting, I could gain speed. So, I go through the tunnel, stay to the left as if I was gonna get on I-5. I then take my first exit to the right to get back into downtown.

I get off the highway and once I cleared the off ramp, I see one head light behind me. I had a feeling it was a police bike, but I had nothing to worry about so I was like.... meh. Next thing I know, bright strobe lights go off and I am getting pulled over.

I pull over and discover that it was a Portland Police bike.... great! ugh.... So the officer came up to my window and asked for my license and nothing else. I told him I was carrying legally, he asked where the gun was and I told him and he was fine with the whole thing.

It took him a few minutes and I knew he was gonna give me a ticket. So he came back and told me I was doing 75 in a 50 and gave me a $270 ticket. I was shocked! I asked him a few questions and discovered I was lasered. He said he lasered me but I think the dark SUV facing West on 26 on ramp was the one that tagged me, but I did not get a laser warning from my Valentine 1 when I passed the dark SUV.

There is no way I was going 75. If I was going 75, I would have been hauling butt and traffic was very light. Was my speed between 50 and 55? yes, probably, but I swear on my grandmother and uncle's graves that I was not going 75 MPH.

So the court is extending everything out 90 days, when my plea date comes up, I will plea not guilty! and they will set a trial date for me.

I plan on filing motion for discovery so I can obtain as much information as to what happened. I feel like something dishonest has taken place. I feel like the odds are against me however. My word against a sworn peace officer with speed detecting equipment. Also a second officer was involved so two vs. one.

If they do not provide me with requested information, I think I may be able to file for dismissal but I am not sure. If the officer does not show up, I know the ticket will get dropped.

Anyone with good advice?
Any retired or active LEOs that can comment on what I can do?

I stated that I was running waze GPS earlier, so I downloaded my location files, I did not see a log of my speed, just places I have been etc. I thought about going to the dealership to extract information out of my car's "black box" but I was not in an accident and I don't know what information was stored for how long etc.

Thanks folks.
Since it's been 11 years, between tickets, it's more than likely that the case will be dismissed...with a warning.

Of course, this IS Oregon, the state that ticketed my buddy for not using his turn signal when he pulled over to see where I was (we were on motorcycles), so anything can happen...

Not saying you're guilty BUT...…………..

You're driving a Mustang, manual trans.. Is it a GT or more, GT 350/500, Shelby, Cobra? If the answer is yes, I'd like to point out that at no time in my history(for what it's worth) have I owned a fast car, and I've owned a few, did I not speed. Further more, only old people buy a fast car and drive like old people. Unless you're old, well...……….
Also, the fact that you have a radar/laser detector in your car and not a cheapo, I might add, me thinks maybe you were speeding. Maybe not where you think they hit you with a SMD but earlier. I know it's real easy to go faster than you think you are in newer hotrods, I had a Challenger R/T a few years ago and sometimes it was hard to keep it under 75.
Good luck though.
Good advice. I speed with anything I'm driving. My first 3 speeding tickets were in my '66 Dodge Charger. The limiter kicks in on my Dodge Neon at 120. I've only had my Dart to 105.....so far.
My daughter's Subaru turbo will hit 140.

Since it's been 11 years, between tickets, it's more than likely that the case will be dismissed...with a warning.

Of course, this IS Oregon, the state that ticketed my buddy for not using his turn signal when he pulled over to see where I was (we were on motorcycles), so anything can happen...
Yes, anything can happen on any given day. I got two speeding tickets on Dec. 13, 1973....none since. Carrying my ODL on one side of that black basket weave ID/wallet, probably has made a difference.

I've fought tickets and won by showing up and giving my account.

Nothing to lose but money.
That's true.
One day I beat an overload ticket when I took my beer truck into a residential area to see my mother. Damn motor cop gave me a ticket. I told the judge that I had diarrhea and was going to Mom's house to take some kaopectate because it was closer than any store.
After a few seconds of silence while he processed what I said, the judge dismissed it. I don't know if he really wanted to believe me or just appreciated the creativity of the excuse.

Last Edited:
You should ask for the officer's copy of the citation and any notes made on it or made in relation to his stopping you. Look at the ticket and see if there is any info on the type, model, serial number of the radar, laser, lidar unit and ask for any certification, maintenance and testing of the unit, especially any test performed by the operator that day. Ask for 10-30 days prior to and after the date you were ticketed. If traffic cams cover your driving, ask the city or state for copies. also a prior person posted some other tings to ask for. There is a prior post with a list of what to ask for. Good info. Probable duplicated some here. There is a semi-formal legal document - subpoena duces tactum (not sure on last word spelling). In your case it would be served on the agency that wrote the ticket. They are then required to provide you the information asked for by a certain date. If they don't, either your case gets continued or dismissed. A dash cam is a good idea. It doesn't necessarily have to have a speed reading, but it will show the motion of other vehicles on the road with you. Agency I worked for required officers to test the unit, after the picked a spot, before issuing a single cite. Then had to test at the before they left the area. Also get info on the tuning forks. if any go with that unit, should be 2, with serial numbers. They have certification and maintenance records also. Good Luck.

You should ask for the officer's copy of the citation and any notes made on it or made in relation to his stopping you. Look at the ticket and see if there is any info on the type, model, serial number of the radar, laser, lidar unit and ask for any certification, maintenance and testing of the unit, especially any test performed by the operator that day. Ask for 10-30 days prior to and after the date you were ticketed. If traffic cams cover your driving, ask the city or state for copies. also a prior person posted some other tings to ask for. There is a prior post with a list of what to ask for. Good info. Probable duplicated some here. There is a semi-formal legal document - subpoena duces tactum (not sure on last word spelling). In your case it would be served on the agency that wrote the ticket. They are then required to provide you the information asked for by a certain date. If they don't, either your case gets continued or dismissed. A dash cam is a good idea. It doesn't necessarily have to have a speed reading, but it will show the motion of other vehicles on the road with you. Agency I worked for required officers to test the unit, after the picked a spot, before issuing a single cite. Then had to test at the before they left the area. Also get info on the tuning forks. if any go with that unit, should be 2, with serial numbers. They have certification and maintenance records also. Good Luck.
All good advice.
The agency I worked for in Ca.(early 70s) gave us an elementary course on how to operate it and turned us loose. The units were brand new, rather bulky and hung on the left side rear passenger window. Lucky for me, none of the citations I issued were contested.
We had a couple of guys who partnered up most of the time and wrote dubious citations...over 100 a month. Their whole game was to get called into court for the overtime pay. Many times they lost, but they didn't care, they still got paid. 2 hrs. OT if on duty, 4 hrs.OT if off duty. They were both knocking down $300+ a month in court overtime. Nearly a half month's pay.
That went on for about 2 years until the senior of the two made Sgt. and that split them up. Most people were ok with that.

With many years of traffic enforcement under my belt I would recommend...don't hire a lawyer. The best thing you can do is explain exactly what happened. Cops make mistakes. I've been wrong before and gladly admitted when I did so. Judges understand that as well. I would contact the court and ask them how to request discovery for the officers training records, maintenance and testing records for the Laser, etc. Your driving history is a major consideration. Sorry for saying this, but I have never, ever, encountered someone with a radar/laser detector who had it to promote safe driving. Be that as it may, a health care worker on his way to work..... I doubt any judge would allow the ticket to stand as it is. I would be willing to bet that he'll make it a warning. Above all else, don't BS anyone.
Good luck I wish you well and thank you for your service.

Thank you for your input.

I've been bad...

140mph.jpeg

ALWAY hire a lawyer. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. Throwing yourself on the mercy of the judge shootin' straight and speakin' the truth is a one way ticket to paying traffic fines and having your insurance jacked up. Let your attorney speak for you. Ive seen stuff that should have been an absolute slam dunk for the courts get thrown out with a few motions of an attorney. Be a sucker if you want. Anything over 5 mph I'm getting an attorney.

It showed time and place but not every single step.

I have reenacted my driving from that night, it indicated that I was between the speeds of 52-55. If I didn't intervene by tapping ony brakes and kept cruising, I was getting close to 60 mph before the tunnel. So without me using the gas, I have no idea how I was going 75 mph that night, assuming the cop was being honest and had properly functioning equipment.

Properly functioning equipment is a big deal if you go to court. He must show proof he calibrated his radar unit prior to starting his shift that day. If it wasn't calibrated that day, all data gathered is suspect, and can't be considered.

So a little update....

I sent the ticket in on August 14, checked the not guilty box, signed it and mailed it in.

I haven't received my trial date yet (as of Dec. 1, 2020).

A few of the guys that I work with are retired police. One used to be with PPB, we'll call him Max. So I told Max one day, a PPB officer (officer X) tagged me and had his buddy on a bike pull me over and give me a BS ticket.

Max, do you know officer X? Max said he did. So I asked what kind of officer/person is/was officer X?
Max said, officer X was a good cop, but a few years prior to me retiring, officer X turned into a DI*K.

So ya, tell me something I don't know, Max lol.

Last Edited:
Got a letter about 2 weeks ago, it may take longer than six months to get a court/trial date.

Several days ago I was at work, driving an unmarked work vehicle (security) and I saw a Portland police car on our property, chillin.

I parked the car to go do my rounds, as I'm walking up to the building, I go to bs with the cop for a min. I was in full uniform, looking like a deputy and I walk up to the officer and guess who it was hahahaha the dingleberry that ticketed me. I said, hey you like our car? Then I recognized him and asked if he was officer X. He was surprised I knew him and he said yeah that's me lol.

He was on the phone, so I went and did my foot patrol of the inside of the building. Once inside, I saw packaged cookies (for staff and visitors), so on the way out, I grabbed two, one for me and one to bribe the officer with hahahaha.

Met up with officer X, then I offered the cookie and asked if he would do me a favor and not show up to court lol. He didn't go for it hahahahaha.

So we talked, nice enough guy. He said I'll be fine when we go to court.

My goal was to just be human, be cool, make him laugh and think a bit about my side of the story with regard to the ticket.. We also talked about politics, the economy, and a bit about cars.

After about fifteen minutes I asked him to be safe and wished him a good night and went about my business.

Hopefully he will not show up to court lol.

Keeping a positive outlook is the right approach. He's got a job to do, so do you. Nice that you extended an olive branch. Knowing several PPB cop/detectives personally, I can say that they are are just as human as you or I. Not everyone deserves the Kenton crunch. I wouldn't sweat it. It's not like that communist DA is after you.
Definitely Let us know how it turns out.

To clear up a point, there is a Manual on Uniform traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) for Streets and highways. The manual is used nationwide to install and maintain traffic control devises on all public streets, highways, bike-ways and private roads open to the public. The Federal Highway Administration publishes the book as required by 23 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 655. Starting in 2010 states were required to adopt the standards in the Federal MUTCD.
However each state may have a supplement to the MUTCD for changes specific for their state. These changes are submitted to the FHA for review and approval.

I got a speeding ticket in Virginia a few weeks ago. 15 over. Got too complacent driving in Charlotte traffic where you NEVER see cops and 25 over the speed limit is normal on the highway. ( Seriously 80 MPH in a 55 is the normal flow of traffic ) Since then I have been bombarded with spam mail from Virginia lawyers, at least 40 letters in the last week. . I contacted one and had to send a copy of my WA driver's history, My SC driver's history and a copy of my DD 214. They'll be at the court on my court date and get it knocked down to defective equipment, a non moving violation. All for $150 plus $80 for the DE fines.
Total scam.

Last Edited:
I checked my mail today, the letter finally came and my court date is for October 2021. It is going to be an online trial....... laaaaame! I wanted to face some people lol.

According to the letter, only the Officer I ran into on my last post is scheduled for the hearing (the motorcycle officer, the one that wouldn't take the dang cookie).
On the ticket there are two different officer names. The first one is the bike officer and the second name is the officer that I assumed was in the patrol car on the overpass.

I wonder if the officer not showing up has retired, I wonder if it's all being dumped on the motor bike officer.... I guess I'll find out in a few months.

All the officer had to do was to take the dang cookie. Now I have to take a few days off work to mentally prepare myself for my video trial ahahahahahahahah.... what a Sh!t show this has turned into.

I'll keep you guys posted lol

Big D out.

I checked my mail today, the letter finally came and my court date is for October 2021. It is going to be an online trial....... laaaaame! I wanted to face some people lol.

According to the letter, only the Officer I ran into on my last post is scheduled for the hearing (the motorcycle officer, the one that wouldn't take the dang cookie).
On the ticket there are two different officer names. The first one is the bike officer and the second name is the officer that I assumed was in the patrol car on the overpass.

I wonder if the officer not showing up has retired, I wonder if it's all being dumped on the motor bike officer.... I guess I'll find out in a few months.

All the officer had to do was to take the dang cookie. Now I have to take a few days off work to mentally prepare myself for my video trial ahahahahahahahah.... what a Sh!t show this has turned into.

I'll keep you guys posted lol

Big D out.
If it was one guy on an overpass with a laser or radar and a separate guy that pulled you over and issued the ticket, then they BOTH should be REQUIRED in court (or online). That's because the first officer must testify to the visual estimate of speed, the reading on the device, the clear assignment of speed to a single vehicle (ie, you), and the testing documents to prove the documents were properly tested within the guidelines of your state (usually tested daily before/after the officer's shift). He would also have to testify as to how he ID'd the vehicle for the 2nd officer (to he sure he was pulling over ther correct car). The second officer would have to testify as to how he ID'd the car (to be sure it was the correct vehicle from the 1st officer and he would have to testify as to how the driver was identified (ie, via your Drivers License). If either is a no-show, they won't be able to prove their case (in a legitimate court). The exception is if the radar officer actually came to the traffic stop after, then he could testify to both.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews