JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The chain for the flapper broke so I used some paracord in the interim (for the last few months, ha). Works great. Not the first time I've had to fix a toilet and such, but first time it didn't require silicone, a parts kit, a wax ring seal, snake or a new toilet itself.

Makes me glad to have some WD-40, Paracord, duct-tape and silicone, etc. on hand. Seems to fix damn near everything.

I've thought about getting some JB weld as well. Heard it can be helpful in a lot of situations.

What are some similar common items to have on hand that can fix just about anything?

I use florist's wire for a lot of fixes. Wrapped around something a couple of times it is pretty strong and it is so flexible you can fish it around corners and such.

A big yes, on the JB weld. Liquid Steel is also a good one.

Kroil is my penetrating oil of choice and I'd rank it up there with vice grips as teh most appreciated tools in the box.

A headlamp is another great invention, especially when working under a sink. Also good to keep in the rig in case of car trouble at night.

I could go on and on, but will stop there. :)

As Uncle Joe from Scranton would say - "one word" ...Rubber O-Rings.
I purchased this O-Ring assortment for like $10 probably 15 years ago and have used them on countless fixes, projects and applications other than plumbing. I've used them for plumbing repairs too - but they really shine when you use them for something off-label like as a shock mount , spacer or in conjunction with a flat washer to take the slop out securing something.
I can't imagine not having an assortment in the garage or workshop.

IMG_2312.JPG IMG_2313.JPG

My emergency quick fix so I can nurse the '84 suburban home kit consists of:
A leatherman type multi tool (mine is made by sog)
A headlamp
Baling wire
Jb weld
Hose clamps
Duct tape
Hose tape
Pantyhose (an excellent emergency belt replacement)

If I can't fix it with that stuff, it's too complicated for me to handle on my own.

Around the house I've used Bondo (or an epoxy based equivalent, like one of those epoxy quick sticks) to repair many, many things. I think the Bondo is number one on my most useful materials list.

I've thought about getting some JB weld as well. Heard it can be helpful in a lot of situations.

Funny you mention it, because I used some this weekend to fix my home office chair. The blasted thing would occassional have a bar slip out and knock me backwards. JB Welded that sucker in place and good to go. :D

My emergency quick fix so I can nurse the '84 suburban home kit consists of:
A leatherman type multi tool (mine is made by sog)
A headlamp
Baling wire
Jb weld
Hose clamps
Duct tape
Hose tape
Pantyhose (an excellent emergency belt replacement)

If I can't fix it with that stuff, it's too complicated for me to handle on my own.

Around the house I've used Bondo (or an epoxy based equivalent, like one of those epoxy quick sticks) to repair many, many things. I think the Bondo is number one on my most useful materials list.

Yeah great....But how well did they support your holstered 1911? :s0124:

Some how we got a crack in the toilet tank.:eek:
I tried epoxy on the inside of the tank and that slowed it to a weep.o_O
But, what finally stopped it was, 2" clear Packaging Tape, on the outside of the tank.:)
You can't even see the repair. :p
I also found wrapping about 2" of "Steel Heading" lead around the
top of the stopper makes it drop and seal every time. ;)

When St. Helens popped in '80, they made better expedient air-filters than the Government Issue stuff--to the point that stores couldn't keep 'em in stock.

--DB, purveyor of strange and weird trivia

I remember using a few wraps of butt wipe (no... not the used kind) around my air filter to keep it going... Everyone had to be a little creative back then.

Years ago, I had the pin on the clutch pedal of my 68 Bronco shear off. I looked around and found a 16 penny nail which made a decent temporary fix.... that was 30 years ago... By the way, when does a "temporary" repair become permanent ?

Darn you! I was hoping this thread title was going to give us the chance to guess what you used the paracord for.
So you don't go away disappointed; back in the young buck days (late sixties) when making do was the norm, Para cord ran out the wing window (anyone remember them?) tied to both wipers back through the passenger side wing window and to the other end of the cord. good days I had a buddy to operate the wipers pulling the cord, but on the bad days, it rained hard with some, especially night vision, interrupted while shifting gears.

Rope is my can't live without repair item.
mid seventies stuck down a 100 miles of gravel road in Canada with a busted VW van. I rigged a hitch assembly out of rope and birch to pull the van with a Chevy Vega no less to back civilization.
Needless to say the van had no headlights left after the gravel road tow experience.
IMGP3755.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads