JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At a mink.

I was moving some Christmas loot out to my reloading room in the garage, the dog was following me around. He caught a whiff of something, I heard some squealing and saw him running outside with a ball of black fur. First I thought it might be a stray cat, then maybe a skunk. He shook it a few times and dropped it out in the yard. I pulled my LCR and shot it, as it was still very much alive.

Now my reloading room smells horrible. How do I get the mink smell out?

Greg

We found out that there are several excellent recipes on the internet for cleaning up dogs after run ins. Here's a couple I found real quick:

A successful way to remove skunk odor from dogs involves mixing 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 tsp. of liquid soap or dish detergent. Applied to a wet dog like a shampoo and left to work for three to four minutes, the ingredients work to neutralize and remove, rather than mask, the odor. This mixture is unstable and veterinarians at Pet Education recommend discarding any leftovers. You might need to repeat the process two or three times to completely remove the skunk odor from the dog's coat. Avoid contact with the eyes.

White Vinegar
An alternate home remedy for removing skunk odor from dogs consists of 1/3 part white vinegar mixed with 2/3 parts water, according to Washington State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. Rinse the dog with the vinegar-water mixture, rubbing it into the dog's coat thoroughly. Wear gloves to avoid contact with the skunk oil that carries the odor. Wash the dog outside if possible to prevent the odor reaching the inside of your house. Rinse the dog with warm water and reapply the vinegar solution until the odor is practically gone. Some smell might remain for a couple of days after the bath.

My wife washed the dog (successfully) while I took care of the mink, so getting the smell off the dog is not a problem. The room sure stinks though!

I just went out and removed some of the items that the mink might have sprayed, fortunately the room is still under construction and the incident occurred in the back corner amongst the scrap lumber, so nothing was really lost. I poured a brand-new box of baking soda into a wide, shallow dish and put it out, and also sprinkled some baking soda on the floor in the corner; hopefully that will remove the smell.

My dog got sprayed by a skunk once and ran in the house and tried to rub it off on the carpet and couch. Yes, our house smelled like skunk. The peroxide/baking soda is what our groomer recommended for the dog. It worked. For the carpet and couch, a pet supply store recommended an enzyme spray, Petastic skunk order eliminator. It worked. I sprayed everwhere I could remember him rubbing and it made a difference, but not totally gone. I had to crawl around the floor sniffing for the spots I missed. That worked and the order was gone. Give it a try.

My dog got sprayed by a skunk once and ran in the house and tried to rub it off on the carpet and couch. Yes, our house smelled like skunk. The peroxide/baking soda is what our groomer recommended for the dog. It worked. For the carpet and couch, a pet supply store recommended an enzyme spray, Petastic skunk order eliminator. It worked. I sprayed everwhere I could remember him rubbing and it made a difference, but not totally gone. I had to crawl around the floor sniffing for the spots I missed. That worked and the order was gone. Give it a try.

And he hasn't been able to sniif out a good deal, since.:)

And he hasn't been able to sniff out a good deal, since.:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top