JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A front page article that ran in the Seattle Times on Wednesday, Feb. 26 informed readers of the following:

1. About 1 in 5 students at Washington community colleges are homeless.

2. About 40% of these students were going hungry.

I just find this absurdly unbelievable.

This was based on research done by #Real College Survey, led by Hope Center for College, Community and Justice at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. The article said the survey is based on information supplied by students taking the survey. Link to article:

That just seems off to me also. Seems you'd want to have your basic needs met before you go in debt for school.
Too many folks think going to college is the magic pill for success, I don't buy it. You don't need a degree to work at Starbucks yet many do.

That does seem dubious. I can imagine the question was phrased such as "Do you have a place to call home?"

The student, who is rooming with 4 others in a 2 bedroom apartment checks "no" because they don't consider this to be a "home."

"Are you able to buy enough food to satisfy you?"

Answer:. "No, I would really like that steak and lobster but only get the top ramen."

Thus, by the survey, they are homeless and starved :rolleyes:

I was raised that if you can't afford to do something, DON'T DO IT until you can afford it.

Now, why not ask the "homeless" and "starving" students how they can afford tuition and books.

Sorry, I can't feel sorry for them.

The student, who is rooming with 4 others in a 2 bedroom apartment checks "no" because they don't consider this to be a "home."

This was addressed in the article. Their definition of homeless was sleeping somewhere outside, in a car or at a shelter. Which makes it that much more unbelievable that one in five are truly living on the streets and going to CC.

Scam. They coach the kids on how to fill out the various forms to maximize dollars recieved to all parties. They attempted this coaching with me back in the day at PSU.

About 40% of these students were going hungry.

I just find this absurdly unbelievable.

This was based on research done by #Real College Survey, led by Hope Center for College, Community and Justice at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. The article said the survey is based on information supplied by students taking the survey.
These types of surveys usually ask a question like, "At any time in the past week have you left a meal feeling like you did not get enough to eat?"

If the respondent answers "yes", they are counted as going hungry. The surveys are designed to get these kinds of results.

Do you own your own home?

Nope.

Then, you're homeless.

Do you sometimes feel hungry?

Yes.

Then, you're "going hungry".

Are you 20 years old and own a firearm?

Yup.

Then you're a "youth at risk of suicide by firearms or firearm violence".

See how that works?:eek:

Aloha, Mark

I've seen these floating around campus and they are subjective in how you can answer.

Wonder where the tent cities all these homeless students live in? They sure aren't on any CC campuses where they would be close to sympathetic resources and have some security.

I have been back to College twice and both times I watched as many wasted the time and money. I no way believe that many are homeless. I am sure a lot of them are wasting time and money though. They take students loans to take classes that have no value. Then when working at the coffee shop whine about the loans they took out.

Before you can blame a problem on Trump you first need to have a problem.

How_to_Blame_Trump.jpg

And, don't forget about the printed news media sources:
Opinion | Let's Call It Trumpvirus

Aloha, Mark

These types of surveys usually ask a question like, "At any time in the past week have you left a meal feeling like you did not get enough to eat?"

If the respondent answers "yes", they are counted as going hungry. The surveys are designed to get these kinds of results.
^^^THIS^^^
I call into question their methodology as well as the Times' reporting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top