JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was checking the ammo supply at my local BiMart (Zippo except for 17HMR by the ton) and they had HiPoints in 40 & 45.
So ... I bought the JCP 40.
I've been watching You Tube Demolition Ranch videos on HiPoints for awhile and I have been impressed by how tough they are. The problem was I could never find one to handle before
Well I did and it's a brick but for $150 I decided why not?
Now I wait 10 days or more (Effing 1639:mad:)

Anyone else own one of these monsters?

AND THE 45... BOUGHT FIRST GEN RIFLE FROM PAWN SHOP... IT HAD BEEN STRIPPED OF ALL SIGHTS AND ACCESSORIES... EVERYTHING... I CALLED THE FACTORY... LADY ANSWERED THE PHONE... TOLD HER WHAT I BOUGHT AND SHE ASKED FOR MY ADDRESS... SHE SENT ME EVERYTHING THAT WOULD FIT THAT RIFLE SLING, FRONT & REAR SIGHT, SCOPE RAIL, TOOL AND MANUAL... THEN TOLD ME IF I FOUND ANYTHING ELSE MISSING TO GIVE HER A CALL...
DIDN'T COST ME A DIME... HEAVY, YES... UGLY, YES... GREAT WARRANTY, YES... MADE IN THE U.S.A., HECK YES !!!

Was checking the ammo supply at my local BiMart (Zippo except for 17HMR by the ton) and they had HiPoints in 40 & 45.

Ammo is probably more valuable -- but if it shoots, it shoots and there's something to be said for a beater gun.

Back when SKSs where $90, the logic I used when buying one was: "at $90, I don't even need to clean it, just shoot for fun."

I've been watching You Tube Demolition Ranch videos on HiPoints for awhile and I have been impressed by how tough they are. The problem was I could never find one to handle before

Be interesting to hear how it performs. They are one butt ugly damn gun but the net is full of videos of people trying to break them and finding it amazingly hard to do.

Ammo is probably more valuable -- but if it shoots, it shoots and there's something to be said for a beater gun.

Back when SKSs where $90, the logic I used when buying one was: "at $90, I don't even need to clean it, just shoot for fun."
Exactly! The store I got mine from had a crate of Chinese SKS's for $89 and cases of 7.62x39 for about the same. At that price, how could you go wrong?
Ditto for HiPoint-- Cheap, damn near indestructible and it shoots!

I too bought a JCP 40 last year, but have never fired it. I did buy some Talon Rubberized grip tape for it and a couple spare magazines. took it down and was not as careful as I thought and .... Plliiinnngg! but I called Iberia and they sent me a new spring and firing pin, then I found the escapees and got it all back together. So I have cleaned it and lubed it, but yet to fire it. Like the sights, except plastic. You could easily use it as a boat anchor for a 14' rowboat. I think I kind of like it.

At $150, you don't need to clean it, just toss it in the river and get a new one when you're done shooting :s0007:

A couple years ago a friend of mine found a .40SW Hi-Point in a sack in the mud under his feet in a high mountain lake where he was camping, along with a box of old National Match 30-06 ammo. He figured it had to have been stolen. He turned it in to the Sheriffs Dept. They told him there was no record it was stolen, and they had no reports of anything like that having been stolen lately. It wasn't rusty yet but was missing grips.

He never checked back or tried to claim it for himself, but he could have after a time, and it sounds like Hi-Point might have fixed it up for him.

I've never owned or fired one, but it amazes me how they have such a good reputation for reliability and durability. I just can't get past the looks.

Recently picked up a JCP in 40 in a trade with someone. Boat anchor is a good way to describe it. Has to be the heaviest handgun I own. Figure if you have to use it for self defense, fire off your mag and then you have a serious hand to hand weapon ready to go.
As someone else already mentioned, Take down is pain and do want for that spring.

On the plus side from what I have heard customer service at Hi-Point is taken seriously. It's cheap, they seem to function just fine but you can practice your weight lifting getting it ready to fire.

You got the gold grille for your teeth yet? Makes HiPoints shoot so much sweeter.

JK - solid pistol at a low price point. Not everybody has the budget for an expensive pistol. Someone just starting out and has a few rugrats can work one of these in. Also a great inexpensive backup. Even worth consideration for folks thinking from a preparedness perspective that wants to set some aside for "just in case",

Recently picked up a JCP in 40 in a trade with someone. Boat anchor is a good way to describe it. Has to be the heaviest handgun I own. Figure if you have to use it for self defense, fire off your mag and then you have a serious hand to hand weapon ready to go.
As someone else already mentioned, Take down is pain and do want for that spring.

On the plus side from what I have heard customer service at Hi-Point is taken seriously. It's cheap, they seem to function just fine but you can practice your weight lifting getting it ready to fire.

"Weight is sign of reliability: if gun does not work, you can always hit him with it."

Be interesting to hear how it performs. They are one butt ugly damn gun but the net is full of videos of people trying to break them and finding it amazingly hard to do.
There's not much that can go wrong with them. They are blowback operated which is why the recoil spring will be quite stiff for caliber and the slide rather large and heavy. Not much can go wrong with blowback operated guns, blowback guns do tend to have more recoil for caliber though, which is why most semi-auto handguns are recoil operated usually using a modified browning based action, which also allows for a much smaller slide and not as stiff of a recoil spring.

The closest I ever got to one was at my LGS. I was there for a transfer and the store owner was checking the incoming shipments, which included a HiPoint (also for a transfer).
He looked it over and wordlessly handed it to me for perusal.
We silently exchanged "knowing" smirks cuz we're so kewl and all... but I was thinking, "maybe I should get one of these... I'd have to find a different FFL for the transfer..."

Now where did you snatch that from?:D
Now where did you snatch that from?:D

Seems I was a bit off, as usual.

My buddy has a hi point in .45 and it shoots... I can say that about it. It's not what I'd call a "well balanced" pistol, but I've never seen it malfunction. It does have the slickest grip of any gun I've ever shot. It's like they impregnated the grip with Teflon or something. Nothing a little grip tape or solder gun stippling won't fix!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top