JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Alexx1401 I doubt it would've made a difference. Here is the actual data. Almost 72% of registered WA voters cast ballots. That is pretty darn good for an off year election. Almost 60% voted yes on I-1639. 1.8 million yes votes. There are 5.5 million adults in WA, but only 4.3 million registered voters. That would mean practically all of the nonvoting registered folks would have to want to vote against I-1639. Ain't gonna happen. Only about 28% of WA citizens own firearms, estimated.

Yes, with initiatives the way they are in this state, gun owners are hopelessly outnumbered and the 2A will (not maybe-will) be as infringed upon as will be legally (and illegally until proven otherwise) possible using this process. This used to be a heavy pro gun rights state before the massive population growth from out-of-state Utopians in the 90s to present day that heard how techy and Starbucky and grungy it is. Now those azzhats can judge, jury and execute on social media, choke on their effing starbucks, and enjoy the real life grungy homeless crapping-in-the street crises they created while telling anyone within earshot how "woke" they are because genitals and chromosomes don't matter.

I've had it. I was born here, but it looks like I will be dying elsewhere. The hunting sucks (thanks city hikers and bikers-may many more of you get and stay lost), fishing has gone to sh!t, traffic and drivers on the west side are completely out of control, property crime is at an all time high and continuing to rise, police unable to enforce several laws (or prevent property crime) due to political pressure, and greedy politicians constantly taxing and spending and taxing some more. Unless Mt Ranier erupts and washes all of the filth out to sea and drives nonnatives back where they came from, I don't really see the point of staying. I know there are refugee gun owners from other states that come here, but it is like a few out of hundreds, maybe even thousands. Now I, too, will end up a 2A refugee. [Cue Tom Petty's Refugee]

Whoops, took a hard right down Rant Blvd. Sorry, back on topic.. my bad.

Yes, get as many semi-automatic firearms while you can, while you can afford them. Don't forget the double barrel magazine clip .30 cal thingies. And a bullet press.:)

@Alexx1401 I doubt it would've made a difference. Here is the actual data. Almost 72% of registered WA voters cast ballots.
Anyone who believes the problem is really just we can't win no matter what is saying it's over, we may as well resign ourselves to losing the right. I refuse to believe that. I watch way too many gun owners either refuse to vote, or better yet support people like Hilary. If we change that we turn the ship.

QUOTE="Alexx1401, post: 2354664, member: 44221"]
Sadly I said this when this passed. Many other gun owners got real mad when I said this law was NOT the result of "us being outnumbered". I said this is gun owners who can not be bothered with voting. Many gun owners do not like to hear this. Well now I keep hearing it over and over again. Gun owners who had no idea this law went in. Which means they could not be bothered to stay even slightly informed and vote. Many who find out about the law will then blame everyone else, like the NRA.
[/QUOTE]

I have met people that are not aware of the Oregon or washinton infringments .
Some older guys That took for granted that that can't happen.

"Fortunately I got all my good stuff before coming here. I will be sure to read on.
Thanks. "

That makes me wonder what will happen to people who purchased their guns in another state as citizens of that state where they are legal and come to this state. Let's say down the road someone from Idaho moves here and purchases several "regulated" firearms just prior to arriving here. None of his guns are in the system or on paper anywhere. Is this going to be called a "loophole" to the Wa. state dems.

"Fortunately I got all my good stuff before coming here. I will be sure to read on.
Thanks. "

That makes me wonder what will happen to people who purchased their guns in another state as citizens of that state where they are legal and come to this state. Let's say down the road someone from Idaho moves here and purchases several "regulated" firearms just prior to arriving here. None of his guns are in the system or on paper anywhere. Is this going to be called a "loophole" to the Wa. state dems.
Probably not, at least yet. This latest law is like many gun laws. It's not really meant to accomplish anything. Well other than making it harder for us to buy. It's another stupid feel good law, that anyone with a brain knows will do nothing. The idea is later to come back for more. Since they got a LOT of the gun owners to support or at least ignore this. Now if and when they either outlaw certain guns or force them to be registered? Then people coming in from another state will have to watch what they do. Right now it's a simple, stupid law. You can take a free course here at one of the great vendors here and be ready to buy one in this state. Now assuming this does not wake up more gun owners I have no doubt they will be back for more.

Thanks. "

Good point, I actually called the sheriff of Pierce county and several gun stores throughout the state prior to moving my stuff here and explained the basics of what I have. They told me about this new law but not in its entirety. So I had to do some research. I am clear. Shame, of these restrictions here, I won't say what.

In the past, was there ever a time (as in the past 10 years) when people could do a simple gun swap as in trade or face-to-face sell here in WA?

In the past, was there ever a time (as in the past 10 years) when people could do a simple gun swap as in trade or face-to-face sell here in WA?

Yes we could do this until they passed the law that all sales had to go through a dealer a few years back or so. It really ruined things. I have always bought and sold. I would buy something. Soon get tired and want something else. It was always easy to get most of the money paid for one out of it by selling. Then go buy another. Now that is a huge PITA. It of course did nothing to stop criminals as all new gun laws do. The one thing that law did was make my collection large. I have never in my life owned this many guns at any one time. May have to buy another safe here soon :D

Yes we could do this until they passed the law that all sales had to go through a dealer a few years back or so. It really ruined things. I have always bought and sold. I would buy something. Soon get tired and want something else. It was always easy to get most of the money paid for one out of it by selling. Then go buy another. Now that is a huge PITA. It of course did nothing to stop criminals as all new gun laws do. The one thing that law did was make my collection large. I have never in my life owned this many guns at any one time. May have to buy another safe here soon :D
Oregon went full semi auto stupid a few years before you guys did! We lost the Private sales and were forced to use the services of a FFL to do transfers! It also saw several LGS's screwing customers with transfer charges being outrageously high! When it was still pen and ink on the 4473 and an actual phone call to OSP ( which could take HOURS) I could understand a slightly higher charge for this service, but NOT what some were trying to charge! Now with the 'puters and every thing done electronically, there is NO reason for a BGC to cost more then $15 or so! IF it brings customers to the store, and they have a good experience and your not over charging, you just might earn a few "Add On" sales and potentially earn a new customer you might not have before!
Those days are over! SAD

Oregon went full semi auto stupid a few years before you guys did! We lost the Private sales and were forced to use the services of a FFL to do transfers! It also saw several LGS's screwing customers with transfer charges being outrageously high! When it was still pen and ink on the 4473 and an actual phone call to OSP ( which could take HOURS) I could understand a slightly higher charge for this service, but NOT what some were trying to charge! Now with the 'puters and every thing done electronically, there is NO reason for a BGC to cost more then $15 or so! IF it brings customers to the store, and they have a good experience and your not over charging, you just might earn a few "Add On" sales and potentially earn a new customer you might not have before!
Those days are over! SAD

Yes when it first started here some shops were not handling it well. I said then and it played out, the smart ones will do this at a "fair price" and welcome the people. For just the reason you gave. Get people in the store and many of them will come back later for more stuff you sell.

Anyone who believes the problem is really just we can't win no matter what is saying it's over, we may as well resign ourselves to losing the right. I refuse to believe that. I watch way too many gun owners either refuse to vote, or better yet support people like Hilary. If we change that we turn the ship.

If anyone hasn't noticed yet, I am a far-2A-wing supporter, and yes, I vote in every election. I am a 1-issue voter for individual freedoms, of which the 2A is a big part of, along with the rest of the BoR. I don't proscribe to any single party, only those candidate or initiatives that support freedom vs those that impose their own philosophies on others by force (tyranny). I am a part of what is commonly referred to as "the choir " on forums such as these. :s0140:

Did fellow gun owners even know any of this was staring down the barrel at them?
Some will flat out sell you out just as quick as not realizing something.

My friend said he'd support violating due process as long as it isn't red flag laws.

He's a complete idiot, never trade one constitutional right to appease the enemy.

Yes, this is permissible at present. All his stuff would be off-paper. As are so many firearms currently owned by Washingtonians who purchased them prior to changes in the law.

This is not the case in all states. Using California as an example, a newly arrived resident is required within 60 days to report all firearms that they have brought with them. Such persons are considered "private importers" and along with the report, are required to pay a $19 fee. "Assault weapons" already owned in the previous state may not be brought into California. I point out California as an example because relocation of people back and forth between the three West Coast states is not uncommon.

I realize you just moved here, but HTF do you not know this stuff man?
I594 has been law since 2014, requiring an FFL for all transfers.
I1639 was voted in 2018 and became effective law this summer.

In quick succession this went from moderately okay for gun rights to atrocious, one of the worst in the nation, within about 4 or 5 years span.

I don't know your circumstances but did you just get orders here and not bother looking into the state in ANY capacity? I was in a gun store a couple weeks ago and heard the same comments when a guy was looking to buy an AR and didn't know about the training and wait times, etc. Total moron. Gun store clerk and I exchanged the eyeroll...

That leads me to comment on what infuriates me about gun owners. Total F****** ignorance and apathy. "I got mine so oh well..." No. It's not "oh well." Future generations are screwed. YOU are screwed if you ever lose your guns in robbery or fire. Guns become irreplaceable.

Gun owners in WA are the laziest people in any state in which I've lived and let their rights be taken away one election at a time. Total Fing apathy. These FUDDS are too busy on Facebook or watching an NFL game to realize their rights and the rights of their future generations are being effectively irreversibly stolen, chipped away at 1 election at a time. Fing HALF of the state was too busy to vote, with PREPAID MAIL IN BALLOT DELIVERED TO YOUR HOME WEEKS IN ADVANCE! FFS!!!! If they can't do that, you won't be able to count on them to show up when it matters.

THEY MAIL YOU THE Fing BALLOT WEEKS IN ADVANCE SO YOU CAN FILL IT OUT AND RETURN IT FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW LAZY DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NOT VOTE!!!????

And they don't see the long-game either. I'm leaving. Good bye Washington. I'm taking my valuable RED Conservative pro-gun vote somewhere else. ME, and probably tens of thousands like me. So Washingtonians will, by their apathy, not only seal their fate for I594, and then I1639, but hemorrhaging RED pro-gun votes like mine by the thousands you can guarantee to lose future elections too. And thus is the big plan of the Dems. Make is so inhospitable to Conservatives to drive them out and secure territory.

I'd stay and fight if there was a modicum of optimism. After atrocious turnouts in 2014, 2016, and 2018, the writing is on the wall. The FUDDS here are too enamored with the Seaducks to care their rights are being stolen. I ain't gonna stick around to watch and see if the ship sinks, which it's going to, when nobody is bothering to bail water. Cashing in and checking out.

Last Edited:
I realize you just moved here, but HTF do you not know this stuff man?
I594 has been law since 2014, requiring an FFL for all transfers.
I1639 was voted in 2018 and became effective law this summer.

In quick succession this went from moderately okay for gun rights to atrocious, one of the worst in the nation, within about 4 or 5 years span.

I don't know your circumstances but did you just get orders here and not bother looking into the state in ANY capacity? I was in a gun store a couple weeks ago and heard the same comments when a guy was looking to buy an AR and didn't know about the training and wait times, etc. Total moron. Gun store clerk and I exchanged the eyeroll...

That leads me to comment on what infuriates me about gun owners. Total F****** ignorance and apathy. "I got mine so oh well..." No. It's not "oh well." Future generations are screwed. YOU are screwed if you ever lose your guns in robbery or fire. Guns become irreplaceable.

Gun owners in WA are the laziest people in any state in which I've lived and let their rights be taken away one election at a time. Total Fing apathy. These FUDDS are too busy on Facebook or watching an NFL game to realize their rights and the rights of their future generations are being effectively irreversibly stolen, chipped away at 1 election at a time. Fing HALF of the state was too busy to vote, with PREPAID MAIL IN BALLOT DELIVERED TO YOUR HOME WEEKS IN ADVANCE! FFS!!!! If they can't do that, you won't be able to count on them to show up when it matters.

THEY MAIL YOU THE Fing BALLOT WEEKS IN ADVANCE SO YOU CAN FILL IT OUT AND RETURN IT FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW LAZY DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NOT VOTE!!!????

And they don't see the long-game either. I'm leaving. Good bye Washington. I'm taking my valuable RED Conservative pro-gun vote somewhere else. ME, and probably tens of thousands like me. So Washingtonians will, by their apathy, not only seal their fate for I594, and then I1639, but hemorrhaging RED pro-gun votes like mine by the thousands you can guarantee to lose future elections too. And thus is the big plan of the Dems. Make is so inhospitable to Conservatives to drive them out and secure territory.

I'd stay and fight if there was a modicum of optimism. After atrocious turnouts in 2014, 2016, and 2018, the writing is on the wall. The FUDDS here are too enamored with the Seaducks to care their rights are being stolen. I ain't gonna stick around to watch and see if the ship sinks, which it's going to, when nobody is bothering to bail water. Cashing in and checking out.
Mate, I move here this August from PA. In that Commonwealth, FFL transfers are required for new gun purchases and ALL handguns, even if face-to-face, but not amongst family.

"I594 has been law since 2014, requiring an FFL for all transfers.", sorry I am not familiar with this, and I will familiarise myself with it.
As for the I1639, I had been aware of it, it was talked about on the gun forum for PA. I just did not know the breadth of it. In PA, face-to-face sales of ANY LONG GUN can happen without doing NICS as long as you believe the buyer is not out to do harm.

Sorry you feel you must leave WA. I am thinking of Alaska, myself.

@leadcounsel, I pointed out earlier in this thread that so-called fudds are not really the problem in WA for losing I594 and I1639. It is the initiative system itself. I will say it again for some clarity.

Only an estimated 28% of WA residents own firearms. Only a pitifully stupid majority vote is needed to pass an initiative in WA. 72% of WA residents DO NOT OWN GUNS.

As long as the deep war chest of the antis fund ridiculous gun control initiatives, which seem to be able to be added to ballots no matter how illegal they are or how crookedly they were misrepresented, they will pretty much succeed. Even if it loses, the National Anti groups still win. Even if it is challenged in court and overturned later, they STILL win. They have a winning formula, now. Just convince most of the unarmed WA populace that 1) guns are dangerous 2) only this law will keep you and/or your children safe and 3) lives will be saved - easy victory. The anti backers don't care about the legal challenges, it won't be THEIR MONEY. The state, by way of taxpayers, funds their defense and pro 2A citizens or organizations fund the other side, using our limited resources. Its bloody genius, like on a Dr. Evil level of genius. This is not an accident. And this explanation is just the "simplified" version.

Antis play local-initiative chess on a national level, while local 2A plays only checkers defense, running to put out one fire at a time. We need to either change the game, or punish the arsonist.

:s0025:

Mate, I move here this August from PA. In that Commonwealth, FFL transfers are required for new gun purchases and ALL handguns, even if face-to-face, but not amongst family.

Sorry you feel you must leave WA. I am thinking of Alaska, myself.
One of our kids moved to ID a while back. It is VERY nice there and VERY gun friendly. Tempting. Only problem with this is this kind of fix is short lived. Every state that is run by those who want limited Gov prosper. So then people who want Gov control on everything turn their home into a sewer. So those with means move to a place run by the ones they hate. As soon as they get there they set about to turn the new place into the old sewer. I grew up here. I got a CPL as soon as I turned 21. It was still a matter of telling them why I wanted one but even back then it was a rubber stamp. This state was way ahead of many on this. It was going left by then but I moved to AZ that was very "right". We could not for the life of us get a CC law passed there. Guess who fought it tooth and nail every time. People moving from some sewer. AK may be one of the last places to see this problem but every state that prospers soon starts to attract the sewer. :(
The only real hope is most gun owners learning to vote together to fight this garbage but it's like herding cats to get that done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top