JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The "standard" $100(?) cast iron single-stage Lee "O" press will do .50BMG all day long. It was built for it.
They sell different stuff, as does everyone else.. with all their respective and many gloried stories of "fail". Keep it apples apples.

I use the Lee Classic Turret and the Lee Collet die for reloading 30-06. I only have the one 30-06 so neck sizing is all I am interested in, as I get more reloads out of a case.

I also use it for 9mm, .357 magnum, .44 magnum and .30 Carbine. I am happy with my Lee Classic Turret kit, and have no desire to sell it.

You rarely see Lee, or any other presses in the classifieds because reloaders only get out of reloading when they're too old to do it, IMO.

That's where I am. I'm all finished. I have anything and everything but want to sell all at once for that very reason - too old and health. I'll bet most older guys are like me and have no clue what it's even worth. There's a Lee classic turret press in there that's brand new. There's enough components to load several thousand rounds, 10,000 or more primers, powder, bullets, brass... I don't know where to start.

Cheers

The "standard" $100(?) cast iron single-stage Lee "O" press will do .50BMG all day long. It was built for it.
They sell different stuff, as does everyone else.. with all their respective and many gloried stories of "fail". Keep it apples apples.

The only problem with the Classic Cast is that it maxes out at a 1-1/4" die, every other .50BMG die is a 1-1/2" die. So it means you're going to be stuck using Lee Dies.

The only problem with the Classic Cast is that it maxes out at a 1-1/4" die, every other .50BMG die is a 1-1/2" die. So it means you're going to be stuck using Lee Dies.
It's my understanding that you unscrew the threaded insert and then use the normal/standard .50BMG dies.
I don't think Lee makes .50BMG dies with threads different than anyone else.

Blue vs Green vs Red?? Everybody has an opinion. I can only
comment on my own personal experiences. I started reloading
in 1978 on a RCBS rock chucker. I have used a Dillon 550 for
25 years. I have reloaded many thousands of rifle and pistol rounds
on the 550. I have worn out and broke numerous parts on the 550.
They have always replaced all parts for free no questions asked no
hassle. Noticed a couple years ago my 550 press seemed a little sloppy
compared to a friend's new one. Sent it back to Dillon they completely
rebuilt it. Now it is like new. I highly recommend the Dillon. I have
several RCBS dies and other equipment. Never an issue. Warranty on
Dillon and RCBS excellent. I use several Lee dies. They are economical
and work well and have had no issues. I have never owned any Lee
presses so I cannot comment on them.

Indeed. Lol. Personally, I'd love to pick up an old Lee 12ga whacker.. for slug and buck. The most arcane thing under the sun is to be had easily these days.

I had a hornady LnL Progressive and everything was great but the ram which was amazingly low grade metal. It snapped and I needed to get a new one from Hornady. They were good about it, but when you looked at the cross section now revealed it was pot metal with bubbles and all sorts of crap in it. Outside polished to a shine, inside like crap. I wouldn't buy them again for that. It it hadn't snapped, but cracked a little I could still be there trying to figure out why it wasn't indexing right or messing the brass up somehow.

One thing I do recommend with a progressive is a powder cop. You don't want to miss a charge for some reason.

You can't go wrong with Lee breech lock for your 1st press. I still use mine.
All though I recently purchased a Dillon 650
I needed more volume. I don't see me getting rid of the Lee either. Have loaded 1000s of rounds on my Lee breech lock

Good shooting
HotRod

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews