JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm hoping to get into reloading and while lee precision presses are quite affordable I noticed that there aren't many of them in the classifieds. I was hoping to find an inexpensive reloading setup from someone looking to upgrade their lee kit. Is there a reason why people don't put them up in the classifieds very often?

-Loki

Just a guess - people like them and want to keep them. I don't think it's a lack of popularity, plenty of folks seem to like them. I looked around for a while but couldn't find any decent used ones, so I just bought new. They're not all that expensive, even new.

When I upgraded to a Dillon I just kept mine. Still use it for loading rifle and that odd caliber that I might only shoot a couple hundred a year. You can never have to many presses ;)

For the most part, Lee presses are economical and work well, so not much of a reason to get rid of them. Lee has worked out the bugs in the progressive presses (Pro 1000 and Load Master) so people are keeping them and using them. Not much reason to replace something that works just fine.

Just curious, what is your use for the press? Bullseye shooters have much different needs than IDPA and USPSA shooters.

Thanks for the input. I am new to hunting and rifle shooting and would like to be able to reload 30-06 for a more economical and accurate round and learn more about how to custom tailor a round. I would also like to be able to make handgun ammo down the line.

I'd suggest, as others may have, starting with a single stage - the least complex of presses, allowing you to concentrate on loading an accurate, safe round.

As your skills progress consider adding a turret or progressive.

As a note: I own three LEE presses, and can attest to their functionality and durability. I also regularly watch eBay for specifics - used LEE gear usually sells for near, or above, new prices.

Per solv3nt: Buy and new 'kit' from Amazon, be happy :D

I got lee it realy the best brand not like the matt dillon press that cost more than it shood and funhy blue color i load lotsa 9 cuse its the best and all my bookits work great some times tho i have to shake it to get it to go bang but thats cuz my boolits are so power full that it scares the gun only ge4t lee and jown the best and just use a hammer if it gets stuck and not get the 'horny' brand it sucks too like blue matt dillon.

I'm disappointed. Had popcorn and drinks ready for the blue crew bashing the red press show. Yes, it's a rerun, but sometimes humorous! :D

you wusses using a press. sheesh, I press in my bullets using my teeth. wimpy kids these days with their fancy colored presses. In my day they were back and white and the girls used them.

I have used a bunch of Lee dies before, but none of their presses. If their presses work as well as their dies, they would be few and far between on the used market.

I'm hoping to get into reloading and while lee precision presses are quite affordable I noticed that there aren't many of them in the classifieds. I was hoping to find an inexpensive reloading setup from someone looking to upgrade their lee kit. Is there a reason why people don't put them up in the classifieds very often?

-Loki

Most lee presses don't survive long enough to make it to the used market. Usually the upgrade to an RCBS, Lyman or other press happens after the lee reloader cracks in half.

Both my Bigmax and Rock Chucker I got second hand from some guy who bought them new, he was too old to use them any more so he sold them to me, I will probably pass them down to my children or grand children. The lee presses... those broke years ago.

Interesting experience.

I have two 3-hole auto indexing turrets, and a breech lock single stage. After thousands of rounds of .308 & 9mm I know my presses quite well, and simply don't see a weak point.

To each his own.

Most lee presses don't survive long enough to make it to the used market. Usually the upgrade to an RCBS, Lyman or other press happens after the lee reloader cracks in half.

Both my Bigmax and Rock Chucker I got second hand from some guy who bought them new, he was too old to use them any more so he sold them to me, I will probably pass them down to my children or grand children. The lee presses... those broke years ago.

Interesting experience.

I have two 3-hole auto indexing turrets, and a breech lock single stage. After thousands of rounds of .308 & 9mm I know my presses quite well, and simply don't see a weak point.

To each his own.

Lee reloader press with it's "C-frame" split just above the base while sizing .308 brass some years ago, It was some rather tough military brass, but wasn't too much harder to size than say 7mm rem mag.

Understood - Lee's C press always seemed it was suited to decapping and, maybe, sizing cast bullets.

:)

Lee reloader press with it's "C-frame" split just above the base while sizing .308 brass some years ago, It was some rather tough military brass, but wasn't too much harder to size than say 7mm rem mag.

You rarely see Lee, or any other presses in the classifieds because reloaders only get out of reloading when they're too old to do it, IMO. A co-worker just inherited all his dad's reloading gear, he has lotsa questions.

For 30-06 I'd get a single stage or a turret press.

For 30-06 I'd get a single stage or a turret press.

I agree. However the last time I loaded '06 was the largest run of bottle neck cases I've ever done and I did them on the Dillon, using it as a single stage. Normally I use my Lyman turret press, but the Dillon was bolted to the bench and the Lyman wasn't!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top