JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
... but with the way things are going I'm thinking about it. I was an 11B (Infantry) from 82-94, so it is not like I have no experience, I just didn't see a need for one.

Anyway how do I go about getting the background check and whatever else I would have to do?

I don't have a criminal record and can't see any reason to be denied.

Congrats on thinking about your first gun.

It's pretty simple, and it's probably easiest starting out if you start with a local gun store. You can go to any gun store (local gun shops, or other stores like Cabela's, Bi-Mart or Fred Meyer, some pawn shops), pick out what you want and when you're ready to buy, they will have you fill out an ATF form and they will take your thumb prints. They will run the background check there, and depending on how many people are getting BGC's at the same moment, you may know quickly or after a few hours, if you're approved. Once you're approved, you can buy the gun and take it home. Pretty simple process.

You can also buy online. In that case, the gun has to be mailed to a local FFL (federal firearms license holder) who will do the same form, prints and background check as the gun store - you'll pay a fee for the 'transfer' and for the BGC, anywhere from $25-50 depending on where you go.

Walk into a ffl (gun store), pick what you want, put down some $$$$$, jump through some hoops like a trained monkey, take it home.

Or pick something from the classifieds here and do the above in a slightly different order.

If it's a handgun you are wanting, I recommend a refresher course and maybe some time at a range that offers rentals first.

Another place to consider is gun shows, they have the same basic standards to buy as an FFL.
There is something about buying a new gun fresh from a box, but then you get it home don't like it and now you spent top dollar. Unless you are sure what you want guns shows often have descent deals and you can bargain a bit as well. Many guns stores have used guns as well just a thought until you find what you want.

... but with the way things are going[/COLOR][/B] I'm thinking about it. I was an 11B (Infantry) from 82-94, so it is not like I have no experience, I just didn't see a need for one.

Anyway how do I go about getting the background check and whatever else I would have to do?

Sounds like you have some Idea of the intended use/scenario for the Firearm you have yet to buy.
Since you have been out of the loop for awhile, YouTube is full of info once you get narrowed down a bit. Then I'd go to Cabela's and have a feel.

SHTF, Survival, Self Defense, concealable, long range.....
No gun as you know will do it all. Many people suggest three are needed.
Usually a semi-auto 9mm handgun, then perhaps a .22 rifle. Lastly something like an AK or an AR. I am partial to the Mini-14 myself.
Anyway opinions vary and there is no shortage of options but I wouldn't wait to long on buying higher Capacity Mags or AR, AK or similar evil black rifles.

The Progressives are trying to limit these things in Oregon and they have no one to stop them this time.

First off Welcome, I'm also a new member.
There is a gun show coming up in Eugene February 13-14 at the fair grounds, a good place to look at alot of different guns to see what fits you the best. Than you can buy there go on line to find the best deal.

Your question seems to be about BG checks; those are done at the time of each individual purchase, every time. It's not like a security clearance that lasts for a period of time.

In fact if you've had a security clearance, it might flag a delay on your NICS check, because FBI does an investigation on you for the clearance. 3 days after the delay you can go pick up your purchase.

BATFE can issue you a PIN number to counter the delay if you apply for one.

A valid driver's license in your state of residence is all the ID required.

I recommend getting a concealed handgun license. Even if you are not going to carry a gun. It trumps some of the very stupid city and county ordinances that are hard to remember. One is you cant be in multinomah county with a loaded gun or even a loaded magazine. But having a CHL overrules this. You dont want to accidentally drive through a city that has some weird ordinance that you never heard with a rifle in your car and then get pulled over. Having the CHL protects you from these.

... but with the way things are going I'm thinking about it. I was an 11B (Infantry) from 82-94, so it is not like I have no experience, I just didn't see a need for one.

What changed you mind as in "I just didn't see a need for one", but now "I'm thinking about it"
Just curious..

I would just keep it simple this time. I'm in Eugene too. You might try the Baron's Den out off I-5 and 30th. They have a very good selection of guns, an indoor range, and you can rent various models and try them out on the range. They seem pretty friendly and helpful, unlike a few other places can be sometimes. If you find something you want to buy they do all the BGC stuff then and there. If you are at all interested in a concealed handgun license then look up Derek LeBlanc on Facebook. He does CHL classes in Eugene pretty regularly.

I recommend getting a concealed handgun license. Even if you are not going to carry a gun. It trumps some of the very stupid city and county ordinances that are hard to remember. One is you cant be in multinomah county with a loaded gun or even a loaded magazine. But having a CHL overrules this. You dont want to accidentally drive through a city that has some weird ordinance that you never heard with a rifle in your car and then get pulled over. Having the CHL protects you from these.

Thanks for the advice; I did not know that.

What changed you mind as in "I just didn't see a need for one", but now "I'm thinking about it"
Just curious..

Back when I moved out in this area there were only 4 houses around. Now I'm surrounded by manufactured housing and my quiet area has quite a mix of undesirable types around. Just want a little backup if bubblegum hits the fan.

Thanks for the advice; I did not know that.

another thing is the CHL occasionally gets you instant approval when doing a background check. My step son bought a pistol during the holiday rush when there was a 400 person wait for the background check (the state background check system tells the gun dealer how many checks are in front of them so they know what to tell for you the wait). He got instant approval because of the CHL I think, and did not have to wait the 3-4 hours everyone else did. It only works occasionally though and I have no idea why

pistol and probably a rifle down the road; I'm kind of leaning toward a Glock 30 or 42. My youngest son owns a Taurus PT111 and my oldest a Bersa 380. Haven't settled on anything yet.

I'd suggest a full sized pistol for home defense and then get a CC. Full sized guns are easier to shoot, higher capacity, some have accessory rails.

And they mitigate recoil much better (at least the all metal ones) so 9mm-.45acp is acceptable.

Best of Luck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads