JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found these cases yesterday when I was out at my local pit taking a walk and in Snatch and brass. I know these are 308 but what I don't know is if that case was made like this with ribs all around the casing... 20170818_144046.jpg 20170818_132714.jpg

Well I've never seen anything like that...
Is the rifle an old time jalopy or something like that?:eek:

Nope.

Have a few PTR's.

Coulda a been brand spanking new, or an old jalopy.

They are a hoot to shoot!

I don't reload rifle yet, but I decapped and tumbled a few of those. They clean up really nice. No idea on the sizing and such.

Well I've never seen anything like that...
Is the rifle an old time jalopy or something like that?:eek:

It's actually superior German engineering for the application it's meant for. The weapon has a delayed locked-roller blowback system, and fluting allows the hot gasses to "float" the spent casing out of the chamber making it an incredibly reliable method of extraction. Even if the extractor breaks, or a casing shears off in the chamber, the chamber gets cleared 99.9% of the time.

That's an AWESOME feature for a assault/battle rifle.

Last Edited:
May or may not have anything to do with the fluted chamber--but a friends G3 had the
most consistent ejection I've ever seen. Full auto 20 rd dump---a rainbow arc of empties
spinning through the air, hitting the same point on the ground about 25 ft away. If you
leaned into it hard so the gun didn't rise you could land them all in a bucket.

CETME came first. The Heckler & Koch-built G3 was a licensed copy.

The designer, Doktor Ludwig Vorgrimler, was a development engineer for Mauser who became disenchanted by their internal politicing in the late forties. Vorgrimler was recruited to work for CETME in Spain. The French initially attempted to prevent him from leaving the country, but Vorgrimler and family were allowed to move to Madrid in September 1950. Once there, Vorgrimler went to work on a roller-delayed rifle chambered for the experimental 7.92×40mm cartridge. Former Rheinmetall engineers led by Hartmut Menneking already had a nine-month head-start on the gas-operated Modelo 1, but Vorgrimler and his team of former Mauser engineers had their own Modelo 2 prototype ready by December 1950. The Spanish government selected the Modelo 2 for continued development in July, 1952.

The rest is history - the G3 became the 'other' battle rifle of the Cold War for those countries who had not adopted either the FAL or the US-designed M14 and its copies, namely the Beretta Bf59. It was also to be found from top to bottom of Africa.

tac

Last Edited:
But it was a German in España who designed-ed-ed it, yeah? Hence the typical ingenious Teutonic "I thought of EVERYTHING" engineering.

Being that I draw deeply from that particular gene pool, I can say those tendencies are what has (quite literally) saved my life on a few occasions.

;)

So new cartridges do not have the ribs on them?
Nope:) Once fired, they come out like that! I have a CETME that was rebarreled some time in the past and doesn't have the fluted chamber, when it ejects the brass, it puts a pretty good crease and scratch in the brass making reloads an iffy deal requiring a good inspection before going forward. Not as reliable as the fluted ones, but still a fun shooter and accurate as any!!!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews