JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a letter from the Federal Way Police yesterday. The letter said that they had seized a pistol REGISTERED to me and wanted to know if I wanted it back.

I called them and explained that I had sold the gun and that I did not consider the gun mine any longer. Gave them the date, first name, phone number and email address of the member I sold it to. And got nicely reprimanded for not doing a bill of sale and asked to do so in the future for my own protection.

Now the concern I have. I sold that pistol to a forum member a couple of months ago FTF without a BOS. The gent had a WDL and CPL so I felt that I did my legal requirement and felt secure. But I am now worried about doing FTF stuff in the future.

What do you folks do when you sell a gun?

Ed

I have sold tons of guns over the last 30 years. Not once have I got a bill of sale, and I have never had a problem. This may just change my mind on how I feel about a bill of sale.

I got a bill of sale when I bought my last AR FTF. I figured at least if it had been reported stolen somewhere along the way I could show that I paid for it and wasn't the thief.

+1 on the tread!

Don't sweat it, just do a bill of sale. There is a link on the site to a bos you can print and go. Only takes 1 min longer to fill it out and CYA!

a bill of sale doesnt have to legally worded or notarized or submitted to the batfe or any of that. you could scribble something on a napkin if you wanted. as long as the buyer/seller are legal to buy/sell the gun/s you are covered. the paper trail is a good idea and simple as can be PROTECT YOURSELF!obama and pelosi wont:s0131:

obviously you would include the serial number/s of the weapon/s and the dl#/cpl# of the buyer

Don't understand why you wouldn't get a bill of sale to cover your a** in an event like the one you're going through. A simple signed piece of paper can save you tons of headache, and money. I get one for every sale, and just tuck it away in case something like this happens to me. Cheap insurance.

I got a bill of sale when I bought my last AR FTF. I figured at least if it had been reported stolen somewhere along the way I could show that I paid for it and wasn't the thief.

This is my choice as well, for mostly the same reasons. You don't know where your purchase has been.. or where your sale will end up.. even 2 or 3 owners later. Having a paper trail can potentially save you a headache, or worse, in the future

AFAIK, there is no registration of firearms in WA. Would be curious how they came to send you a letter... Back through the original FFL through the S/N? Were you first owner of the pistol?

No one has addressed the REGISTERED part of the OP. Are guns registered in Wa.?

I would venture a guess that the OP bought the firearm originally from an FFL and when the police recovered it, they did a BATFE trace which would have come back to him. If there had been another FFL transfer it the meantime, he probably wouldn't have gotten the letter.

As far as a BoS, unless it's required by state law, I don't worry about it. If someone I am buying from wants to have one, I will go along. I haven't sold a firearm yet, so that's never been an issue.

elsie

I've been buying and selling firearms for quite some time with an exchange of cash and a handshake. I see zero reason to change that, unless it becomes required by some new ridiculous law.

i've gotten BOSs before... cant tell you where a single one is, today. i've bought and sold many more without than with, and i'm unconcerned about it. simply having a gun traced back to you is absolutely zero indication of guilt of any crimes that may or may not have been committed with it. so unless you actually ARE committing crimes (and i ain't judging), you have nothing to worry about.

as to the registration... i'm sure that was nothing more than a slightly ignorant cop's poor word choice. what he should have said was that they pulled the last Form 4473 for the weapon, and your name was on it.

What happens when you sell a gun (hand gun), but have no proof. Then the guy goes and shoots up a place and they dont catch him but recover the weapon. Guess who's door they will be at? I would rather keep my front porch cop free! It's the simplest way to CYA I can think of. Takes five minutes to do two of them, one for you one for him. To not do so is ridiculous!

I've gone along with the bill of sale when a member presented one to me.But really...I dont like a complete stranger,thats not even an ffl have my drivers license number.I always look at wdl,and prefer a carry permit as well. It seems as though your name was cleared easy enough so I wouldn't worry about it. I would have probably taken the gun back when the officer offered it to me too. Now it will most likely just be destroyed.

I've gone along with the bill of sale when a member presented one to me.But really...I dont like a complete stranger,thats not even an ffl have my drivers license number.I always look at wdl,and prefer a carry permit as well. It seems as though your name was cleared easy enough so I wouldn't worry about it. I would have probably taken the gun back when the officer offered it to me too. Now it will most likely just be destroyed.

I too, would have jumped on the offer to get it back. But would never give out my drivers license number. Just the gun serial number, name (check id to make sure it matches BOS), and a signature. Simple, and safe.

What happens when you sell a gun (hand gun), but have no proof. Then the guy goes and shoots up a place and they dont catch him but recover the weapon. Guess who's door they will be at? I would rather keep my front porch cop free! It's the simplest way to CYA I can think of. Takes five minutes to do two of them, one for you one for him. To not do so is ridiculous!

How would having a BOS in your back pocket for a firearm you sold in the past keep the police off your door? If they think your the legal owner then they would have to have something subsequent to change that. Are you planning on sending in your bill of sale to the police? Like when you sell a car? Granted after they kick in your door and throw you around or worse as they are going through your wallet they might notice the BOS

How would having a BOS in your back pocket for a firearm you sold in the past keep the police off your door? If they think your the legal owner then they would have to have something subsequent to change that. Are you planning on sending in your bill of sale to the police? Like when you sell a car? Granted after they kick in your door and throw you around or worse as they are going through your wallet they might notice the BOS

They would only be there once bud! Instead of them accusing me of being the perp and dragging me to court. I couldn't care less what other people do. But I will continue to cover my a** no matter what. Guess Im just a paper trail freak. Who siad they would kick the door in? Just would like to have a piece of paper that wipes my name clean when they show up. Ever been accused of something you didn't do, but have no proof otherwise? Let me tell you its not a good feeling. Like I said it's up to the individual to do as they see fit. But I'll keep covering myself. Especially when its as easy as a signed piece of paper. You can keep slinging guns with no proof of sale.

I got a letter from the Federal Way Police yesterday. The letter said that they had seized a pistol REGISTERED to me and wanted to know if I wanted it back.

I called them and explained that I had sold the gun and that I did not consider the gun mine any longer. Gave them the date, first name, phone number and email address of the member I sold it to. And got nicely reprimanded for not doing a bill of sale and asked to do so in the future for my own protection.

Now the concern I have. I sold that pistol to a forum member a couple of months ago FTF without a BOS. The gent had a WDL and CPL so I felt that I did my legal requirement and felt secure. But I am now worried about doing FTF stuff in the future.

What do you folks do when you sell a gun?

Ed

What do you do next? Nothing. Don't worry about it, go live life. If it happens again, and you get 'nicely reprimanded', nicely reprimand them.

The ATF and other authorities have folks wound way too tight over gun issues.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top