JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Crapp-tonne of reloading gear. I think the seller is wrong for trying to unload it all in one lump, but who knows?

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
I threw up a great deal once, and realized the gas station burritos weren't such a great deal after all. :D

Crapp-tonne of reloading gear. I think the seller is wrong for trying to unload it all in one lump, but who knows?

Yeah - could have sold them by categories with a minimum expenditure of $1K or something like that. But probably didn't want to bother with the hassle. It will be a while before the seller finds a buyer with that kind of funds to spend on one purchase of reloading gear.

Oftentimes large lots of reloading components are the result of one person obtaining 'hand me downs' over a long period of time and setting on them, not knowing exactly what he has and the stuff gets 'ratholed' and forgotten.

A lot of the 'pointy things' may very well be unpopular calibers, old, tarnished or in the case of lead or bullets with exposed lead may be covered with lead oxide and need to be cleaned before they can be used.

I speak from experience as I have twice in my 'life' been given large amounts of hand me down components and other reloading stuff and what I described was exactly the case.

One example was there were about 20 boxes of Speer 125 grain RNSP 9mm bullets and all the boxes had the years 1979-83 written on them with a black marker - and nearly all the bullets had heavy lead oxide covering them and had to be tumbled to get cleaned.

Trouble with doing this is exactly what you guys think. Finding someone with that much money sitting around and either a need for all that stuff or silly enough to think they can turn a profit by breaking it up.

A story to tell. There used to be a Hobby shop in Salem Oregon called Elmers Elmer was a hobby shop pioneer he started out as a distributor delivering Model supplies up and down the West Cost in a Model A Pickup and Trailer. When that got taken over by the big suppliers in the Post WWII era when Modeling was a HUGE hobby he settled down in his shop on Market St. in Salem and started selling to the local market. He did very well in the 50's and 60's raising a family off the shops profits and keeping the local modellers happy. Sales started to decline towards the end of the 60's and then in the 70's as R/C became more affordable (R/C model airplanes date back to the mid 1930's) And new shops opened up in Salem his Shop became more of a Hole in the wall. Thing was Elmer Had more stuff in that little shop then any 4 other modern shops put together. At some point he took the shelf units out and just had Kits stacked from the floor to almost the ceiling. I had a buddy in the Mid 70's into Free Flight models and we would go there and Chuck would spend his time on his hands and knees looking at stuff that had been in the shop since the 40's I was lucky the Control line stuff I wanted was at waist to standing height. He NEVER CHANGED PRICES you could go in there in 1975 and buy Fuel he had priced in 1955 or model aiplane dope for .29'c a bottle that was .79'c at the modern hobby shop. Same with the kits and bigger items. It was amazing.

Well life came along and I got into other things and hadn't done any model airplane stuff for years and then I got back into it big time. Well it turns out Elmer had passed away just before I got back into things. At the time I was collecting model aiplane magazines. I currently have some 4800 I was going to the Model Swap meets and learned that everyone was talking about ELMERS HOBBIES and what was going on. Seams when he died his Daughters decided to maximize their inheritance so they found some guy to come in and appraise everything. Well he did as if it was the only item being sold. So say a Wood propeller Elmer had 100 of in Boxes from the 50's that had never been opened became $3.00 each x100 was $300 And on and on. The bottom of the tally sheet was over 1/2 Million dollars So the SIsters decided to cut the asking price down to 1/2 Million.

And for years the whole mess sat in a storage unit cause NO ONE HAD that kind of money. Then I hear the Sisters are looking to cash out so they have lowered the price to $250,000 and still no one could have afforded it.

Last time I heard they were begging anyone to make them an offer. It finally maybe 10 years or more after Elmers death got broken up and sold off to other dealers when one of the sisters died. I heard she ended up with less then $80,000 and it took a couple years of hard work on eBay and chasing dealers to get that.

Selling whole collections is rarely a possibilty no matter what they thats why auctions exist. Same with this Guys pile it will take for ever and not come close to what he wants.

Trouble with doing this is exactly what you guys think. Finding someone with that much money sitting around and either a need for all that stuff or silly enough to think they can turn a profit by breaking it up.

A story to tell. There used to be a Hobby shop in Salem Oregon called Elmers Elmer was a hobby shop pioneer he started out as a distributor delivering Model supplies up and down the West Cost in a Model A Pickup and Trailer. When that got taken over by the big suppliers in the Post WWII era when Modeling was a HUGE hobby he settled down in his shop on Market St. in Salem and started selling to the local market. He did very well in the 50's and 60's raising a family off the shops profits and keeping the local modellers happy. Sales started to decline towards the end of the 60's and then in the 70's as R/C became more affordable (R/C model airplanes date back to the mid 1930's) And new shops opened up in Salem his Shop became more of a Hole in the wall. Thing was Elmer Had more stuff in that little shop then any 4 other modern shops put together. At some point he took the shelf units out and just had Kits stacked from the floor to almost the ceiling. I had a buddy in the Mid 70's into Free Flight models and we would go there and Chuck would spend his time on his hands and knees looking at stuff that had been in the shop since the 40's I was lucky the Control line stuff I wanted was at waist to standing height. He NEVER CHANGED PRICES you could go in there in 1975 and buy Fuel he had priced in 1955 or model aiplane dope for .29'c a bottle that was .79'c at the modern hobby shop. Same with the kits and bigger items. It was amazing.

Well life came along and I got into other things and hadn't done any model airplane stuff for years and then I got back into it big time. Well it turns out Elmer had passed away just before I got back into things. At the time I was collecting model aiplane magazines. I currently have some 4800 I was going to the Model Swap meets and learned that everyone was talking about ELMERS HOBBIES and what was going on. Seams when he died his Daughters decided to maximize their inheritance so they found some guy to come in and appraise everything. Well he did as if it was the only item being sold. So say a Wood propeller Elmer had 100 of in Boxes from the 50's that had never been opened became $3.00 each x100 was $300 And on and on. The bottom of the tally sheet was over 1/2 Million dollars So the SIsters decided to cut the asking price down to 1/2 Million.

And for years the whole mess sat in a storage unit cause NO ONE HAD that kind of money. Then I hear the Sisters are looking to cash out so they have lowered the price to $250,000 and still no one could have afforded it.

Last time I heard they were begging anyone to make them an offer. It finally maybe 10 years or more after Elmers death got broken up and sold off to other dealers when one of the sisters died. I heard she ended up with less then $80,000 and it took a couple years of hard work on eBay and chasing dealers to get that.

Selling whole collections is rarely a possibilty no matter what they thats why auctions exist. Same with this Guys pile it will take for ever and not come close to what he wants.
Great but sad story.

Yeah. It is all about balance.

I don't like to sell small quantities, but I don't have huge quantities either.

I had about $2000 worth of .50 BMG for sale this summer, some of it was something like $75 per round (it was Raufoss Mk211) IIRC. I had to split it up between at least two buyers (one bought the rifle with some ammo, the other the remaining ammo). I sold the rifle for a loss because I wanted to buy ammo for other firearms while the getting was good.

Sold large quantities of other ammo altogether too, but it was usually under $1K per lot and not overpriced (IMO), and not mixed lots. Because ammo has been in demand, it sold.

I think the worst is the mixed lots. I've seen mixed lots I would have bought some items from if the seller had not demanded that it all sell together - especially when it comes to guns and ammo.

The best thing is to give a discount for buying the whole lot. A lot of people would buy the primers, projectiles and maybe powder, but would have little to no use for yet more presses/etc., and vice versa.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top