JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my case, a P226 points exactly naturally BUT I can't shoot it worth a darn. A glock doesn't point naturally at all, yet I can hit a pop can at 50' without much effort. My brief point is, I don't think grip angle matters much at all so long as you're competent with what you pick up

In my case, a P226 points exactly naturally BUT I can't shoot it worth a darn. A glock doesn't point naturally at all, yet I can hit a pop can at 50' without much effort. My brief point is, I don't think grip angle matters much at all so long as you're competent with what you pick up

Its all about the user. For me, I shoot nothing better than a P226! Even with the weird grip angle!

I don't think much about it.
I've been shooting Glocks and just recently a P80 (Glock clone) which uses the 18 degree 1911 grip angle.

The Glock grip angle story that I read somewhere goes like this...
When Gaston Glock was designing G17 he wanted feedback on grip angle.
So out of wood, he mocked up a G17 shape with an adjustable grip angle.
He passed it around to all of his friends/associates and carefully recorded their preferred angles.
21.5 degrees won.

Grip angle's don't effect me as much as sight visibility, especially as I get older and the rear sight is getting harder and harder to see! Glocks seem to shoot a tiny bit high, no biggy, it still spits um in the tangos face at the ranges I need it to! 1911's I like because they fit my hand better with or with out gloves, can be tuned if needed ( grip width, offset), and the sights seem to come up to me eyes just a split second faster, Probably nothing to even argue about! For me, I look at things like the mag release button, slide release mechanism, How easy/quick it is to change a mag, and the quality of sights more then how it points or aligns! I can pretty much make any pistol shoot to my standards, which is the same as the U.S.M.C. Service Pistol Requirements! I have yet to own one that doesn't meet those standards!

In my research I found this post over on AR15.com.......

My favorite is when a guy in a gunstore picks up a Glock, places his hand ultra-low on the grip, tea-cups with his support hand and strikes his best T.J. Hooker Weaver Stance while squinting through one eye and then pronounces that the "grip angle doesn't point naturally". He'll often then follow this up by placing the gun back on the counter with a look of disgust.

This gunstore cowboy performance art is occasionally taken to it's apex when said practitioner of dumbassadry picks up a Taurus Judge and comments on how you get "three shots for one". View attachment 577003

:p
I do something like the gun store cowboy, but I like to think its a little more legit...I pick a spot...close my eyes and bring the gun up to shooting position, and then open my eyes to see how far off it is... my 19x(Glock 17 Grip)with the largest blackstrap is perfect both in windage and elevation.
I was at Saffirs the other day and he has a couple sig 320s...his super Gucci m17 commemorative was way off up and to the right...but his old reliable carry was really close.
I had a 320 X5 for a minute that felt unnatural, both with the "GS cowboy test" and when shooting, but my dad has a P250(same grip as 320) that I really like...so I can't just make a blanket statement and say The P320 Grip angle doesn't work for me..

I suspect there is a lot more geometry to consider than just grip angle... and when you spend a good chunk of money investing in a brand, confirmation bias will make your eyes do funny things.

*fun fact* The only pistol that has the perfect grip angle for everyone is the Highpoint C9. No matter what your hand size, bone structure, or shooting style... the C9 delivers!

Here's that P80 (G19 clone) at 50 feet from the other day.
Two-hand Isosceles Stance.
It was fun to build and is fun to shoot.
About 600-ish rounds now and no hiccups.

5-2-19 P80 two-handed I.png

*fun fact* The only pistol that has the perfect grip angle for everyone is the Highpoint C9. No matter what your hand size, bone structure, or shooting style... the C9 delivers!

Now you're just making sh!t up.

There are 4 Pistols I consider to be "Perfect" in all aspects, 1911, Beretta M-9/92, Jericho, and Colt Pythons!
I can shoot all 4 exceptionally well in all conditions, stressed, sweaty, and pumped up on adrenalin!
Jericho+941+pistol3.jpg
da4d8ae6b350610d21748a6ea4d0da97.jpg
wm_7556450.jpg
1aa7ad545682aeb28bae640a3d98e98d.jpg

I can shoot with either of the grip angles, but I didn't prefer it on my Gen2 G20, and more importantly, I was not going to force myself to like it.

There is nothing about the Luger, Glock, or Mark III that makes them so awesome that one cannot find equivalents that feel better to their own preferences.

Hell, the 1911A1 and variants of the Beretta 92 have two different feeling grip modes. Neither is "wrong," but I have yet to meet anyone who didn't express a preference for one over the other.

I'm a "Glock grip angle is wrong for me" guy. If I shoot slow and use both sights I have to break my wrist lock and pull the front sight down into the rear. I do it intuitively so no big deal and I shoot well. When I shoot fast I only use the front sight so I need what I call a natural pointer so kind of the the gun store guy thing. If the sights line up naturally then I can just shoot using the front sight be fast. I used to shoot Ruger Mk whatevers until one of my friends let me shoot his Buckmark which has a more 1911ish grip angle. Now when I go pick Elderberries for the wife I bring a Buckmark to head shoot Grouse. Back to the Glock issue, I haven't give up on Glocks and just bought one of the police turn in Gen 4 G-22's. I've had a gen 4 before and with the proper backstrap shot it pretty good. I will order a Beavertail that just fills in the upper part of the backstrap area and see how that works. Nice thing about Glocks is you can modify them with a file and soldering iron.

extend your arm all the way out and make point your finger at a spot... then slowly bring your hand straight back and try to keep your finger pointed straight at that spot..Your finger will naturally try to point upward, and the closer your hand gets to your face, the harder it gets to keep it pointed straight.
Just a little bend in your elbow can make a huge difference in what grip angle will feel more natural.
The theory of why I like my Glock and you like your 1911 is fascinating...so many variables to consider: Stance, arm length, eye side dominance, distance and/or angle to target, Compensation for near/farsightedness, inflammation in the joints, squirrel!
Sorry ADD.

Last Edited:
Glock grip angle sucks. Plain and simple. If it didn't you would never hear about it. When is the last time you heard anyone complain about a cz, M&P, sig, or beretta grip angle? They don't.

That saying I own 7 glocks and they are all I shoot. For my competition guns I have polymer 80 serialized frames. I don't shoot them any better but at least I don't get pissed every time I hold one. Someone in Austria is so stubborn they won't admit the grip angle is simply wrong. It is.

Did I say I only own glocks? I sold all my non glocks a few years back when I realized I just shoot glocks better. "I'm not happy about it"o_O

Grip angle sucks.

I don't think much about it.
I've been shooting Glocks and just recently a P80 (Glock clone) which uses the 18 degree 1911 grip angle.

The Glock grip angle story that I read somewhere goes like this...
When Gaston Glock was designing G17 he wanted feedback on grip angle.
So out of wood, he mocked up a G17 shape with an adjustable grip angle.
He passed it around to all of his friends/associates and carefully recorded their preferred angles.
21.5 degrees won.

Lol. JMB designed and shot a multitude of weapons.
Gaston was a curtain rod manufacturer with non-shooting friends.

Looking at who was most copied, "21.5" (?) degrees lost. Big time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top