JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I don't imagine anyone get's married just so they can endure a divorce, regardless of how profitable the split may be. Sometimes though, things don't work out the way we hoped for, so we part ways.

I'm fine if someone else doesn't see the difference between buying to sell, and selling something that was bought; one is a motive, the other a result.

NFA items come with baggage; it can be difficult, expensive, and almost always time-consuming to change one's mind. And, it's not easy to go try them out in advance to say yes or no before committing. Mail-order marriage? Who knows.

Selling a rifle is easy; selling an NFA-encumbered rifle is harder, by definition. But let's say you just want to re-barrel it because you shot it out, now what? Title II weapons come with baggage; incoming and outgoing.

It's worth thinking about acquiring any and all NFA items long term even if you know, or believe you won't need, or want to, part ways with them.

I've spent more on beer than NFA items; right now they are both worth zero; I have no regrets with either of them.

Virtually none of this is true with regards to SBRs (NFA-encumbered items as you put it). You need only remove the short barrel and replace it with a longer one and it's no longer under the purview of the NFA as long as you don't maintain the ability to switch it back.

You don't even have to write to the ATF to have it removed, but can for your records and courtesy to the ATF. The rifle can be transferred as any other Title 1 firearm.

There are additional burdens to owning an NFA item (including traveling with SBRs) but transferring them as normal firearms is not one of them.

Never had the desire to own one, but they seem to be all the rage now with the gun crowd. Even Hi-Point has got into the action.

Reasons I don't want one:

1. They are expensive.
2. They are not nearly as quiet as you see on TV and ear protection is often still needed.
3. They ruin the balance of most guns. I shoot to get familiar with my firearms for self-defense, and since I won't be carrying a silenced pistol around, practicing with one at the range is pointless.

So, I'm not in any way casting aspersions on anyone that has one, or six. I just don't understand the point of them.

Is there an actual practical use for them, or is it just a cool factor?

I have lots of impractical and cool toys, so I get that aspect of it. Just wondering if I'm missing something?

1. That's in the eye of the beholder I guess and is relative. For something that will last me a lifetime and makes a large impact on the shooting experience and that is fungible between rifles, I'd argue it's worth it.

2. No, that's tv and should be regarded as fiction. I shoot all my rifle caliber suppressed with ear pro except for subsonic 300 black out and 308. Pistol caliber carbines like 22 and 9mm I shoot without ears comfortably.

3. My home defense rifles all wear suppressors. While I have pistols with threaded barrels and have shot them suppressed, the majority of the time I do not shot my pistols suppressed.

Since you asked for practical purposes:

1. A suppressor greatly reduces the concussive force of a rifle round which reduces fatigue on the shooter. Allowing you to shoot for much longer periods of time at the same performance level.

2. A suppressor acts as a muzzle brake due to the baffles and will reduce felt recoil, not as effectively as a well designed suppressor but significantly while also reducing concussive blast (which a brake amplifies for anyone to either side of the shooter).

3. A suppressor obfuscates the source of fire, should you ever find yourself on a two-way range.

4. A suppressor greatly reduces muzzle flash if shooting with night vision.

5. A suppressor can improve barrel harmonics on a rifle and improve precision.

I go shooting once in awhile with my foster son. He has three, or four cans now, I think. I was shooting his AR and what got me was all the gas coming back in my face. I would think that if you put 2-3 hundred rounds through that in a range visit you'd have to have black dirty stuff all over your face. That's not saying that if the price to own several came down to something reasonable I wouldn't be buying into it though. :D

I shot over 1200 rounds at a rifle class recently, all suppressed. It wasn't gassy in the least and I got little grit coming back until the end which was mostly a function of how dirty the rifle got than anything.

There are a number of ways to mitigate an overgassed rifle from an adjustable gas black, to charging handles with vented ports to bolt carriers that have gas bleeding ports in them.

The combination of a properly adjusted gas block in the right length gas system I have found isn't really much more gassy to the shooter than an completely unsuppressed semi-auto rifle.

So you take an early (pre safety) Marlin 1894 in 357, great condition, and thread it. Now you've ruined it. You killed any value in the gun, and fewer people will want it. It has no collector value, little shooter value, and all to become a fad/novelty. Same with a pre 64 Winchester model 70, Kimber Super America, Browning 1886, Winchester 9422, etc. They are the owners guns to do whatever they want with, but yes, it does ruin the gun to thread it.

I'd pay a premium to buy one threaded and I'm not the only one. Clearly you wouldn't and that's ok.

Virtually none of this is true with regards to SBRs (NFA-encumbered items as you put it). You need only remove the short barrel and replace it with a longer one and it's no longer under the purview of the NFA as long as you don't maintain the ability to switch it back.

You don't even have to write to the ATF to have it removed, but can for your records and courtesy to the ATF. The rifle can be transferred as any other Title 1 firearm.

There are additional burdens to owning an NFA item (including traveling with SBRs) but transferring them as normal firearms is not one of them.

The original topic was about suppressors, not SBRs. A factory rifle with an integrally-suppressed barrel is somewhat unique; if you have the knowledge and skill to remove the barrel and replace it with one that isn't integrally suppressed, fine, it's no longer an NFA weapon, sell it and you now have money and a paperweight. Obviously any NFA item which can be assembled into a non-NFA item is not encumbered.

The original topic was about suppressors, not SBRs. A factory rifle with an integrally-suppressed barrel is somewhat unique; if you have the knowledge and skill to remove the barrel and replace it with one that isn't integrally suppressed, fine, it's no longer an NFA weapon, sell it and you now have money and a paperweight. Obviously any NFA item which can be assembled into a non-NFA item is not encumbered.

I agree that trying to sell a used suppressor isn't ideal, you could sell one to a dealer at a very reduced value assuming you wanted non-zero value out of it or to another 3rd party (say a friend) you just have to have the patience for the form 4 to go through.

Frankly I don't know anyone that has bought one that goes into it assuming it's not a lifetime purchase though.

I agree that trying to sell a used suppressor isn't ideal, you could sell one to a dealer at a very reduced value assuming you wanted non-zero value out of it or to another 3rd party (say a friend) you just have to have the patience for the form 4 to go through.

Frankly I don't know anyone that has bought one that goes into it assuming it's not a lifetime purchase though.

Agreed :D

I'd pay a premium to buy one threaded and I'm not the only one. Clearly you wouldn't and that's ok.
In my experience, the very few people who say stuff like that have the money to do so. If they did, they would have bought one off Gunbroker for 1K and had their Smith thread it, but they don't, and that's ok.

In my experience, the very few people who say stuff like that have the money to do so. If they did, they would have bought one off Gunbroker for 1K and had their Smith thread it, but they don't, and that's ok.

I don't have a personal gunsmith and finding one that will do a decent job on a lever gun without a massive wait isn't trivial.

If Marlin's new 1984 CST wasn't stainless and came with a wood stock, I'd already own it and it comes in at $1K after tax.

It's not a money issue.

I don't have a personal gunsmith and finding one that will do a decent job on a lever gun without a massive wait isn't trivial.

If Marlin's new 1984 CST wasn't stainless and came with a wood stock, I'd already own it and it comes in at $1K after tax.

It's not a money issue.
Yet you have neither.

It's not a money issue.

I have to admit, as a traditionalist, I wasn't super hip to the stainless steel and polymer furniture on the 1894. Then I acquired one and felt totally different. It is, possibly, my favorite lever-gun at the present; light weight, fast handling, and suppresses very well with the right load (really digging the 158-gr .38 Special GECO).

513201-96e8124ae790719f9caf3c330a840645.jpg

No worries, my next build is shaping up to be a little more tradicionalista. Not really. :s0112:

I have to admit, as a traditionalist, I wasn't super hip to the stainless steel and polymer furniture on the 1894. Then I acquired one and felt totally different. It is, possibly, my favorite lever-gun at the present; light weight, fast handling, and suppresses very well with the right load (really digging the 158-gr .38 Special GECO).

View attachment 579171

No worries, my next build is shaping up to be a little more tradicionalista. Not really. :s0112:

That is badass CountryGent. I was so hoping when I bought my Octane 45 suppressor I could run a Marlin 45/70 through it. My 45/70 is a stainless Guide Gun my wife bought me for Christmas, I converted it to pistol grip, big loop lever and a Wild West trigger. In any event, I'm green with envy :)

Found on the internet.... lets see...
1) suppressor yup (or a fake one?)
2) red dot sight/tactical sight, yup
3) tactical handguard with rails, yup
4) tripod ok who puts a lever action on a tripod??
5) its a lever action??
6) hand carved skull on stock, yup
7) paracord wrapped lever loop, yup
8) its a marlin? Yup.
9) .30-30 caliber at the minimum? Yup.
10) hand stop on the handguard? Yup.
:confused::confused: I'm not sure if it was meant to troll people or not... I kinda like the idea but the execution leaves a lot to be desired :eek: tumblr_pqftlx38UE1tt8k9m_1280.jpg

I used to be in the not for me group, mostly cause of price.
Finally decided to purchase one. Just a baby .22 suppressor. Worked hard for it, waited my turn.....took it out to the woods...... Attaching it to my pistol I was as giggly as a school girl. First couple of mags, coolest freaking thing ever. Still makes me giggle.
Every gun needs a suppressor.
I've been getting into the long range game, it really helps take most if not all recoil and makes shooting much more fun and enjoyable. And when I hit steel at distance, I swear it's louder than the gun going off hehehe.

Found on the internet.... lets see...
1) suppressor yup (or a fake one?)
2) red dot sight/tactical sight, yup
3) tactical handguard with rails, yup
4) tripod ok who puts a lever action on a tripod??
5) its a lever action??
6) hand carved skull on stock, yup
7) paracord wrapped lever loop, yup
8) its a marlin? Yup.
9) .30-30 caliber at the minimum? Yup.
10) hand stop on the handguard? Yup.
:confused::confused: I'm not sure if it was meant to troll people or not... I kinda like the idea but the execution leaves a lot to be desired :eek:View attachment 579939

What the hell? I'll admit to some wacky builds, including one in the works now. And there are some elements to this one that are good (e.g., silencer and wrapped lever), while others just don't make sense. But together? :eek:

(I can't believe I am saying this because I'd never adorn one of my firearms with said, but the Día de los Muertos theme is pretty artistically done, even if totally inappropriate for a rifle stock.)

Yes, indeed. If it wasn't for the horsecrap law, and attendant extra expense, I'd have a can for most of my firearms.

Thay are very easy to make using a form 1 or there are always deals coming along. I have a multi caliber up tp 300 mag with the quick detach I paid under $300 for, it's a 2 pc so you can use it on rimfire, handguns in one pc then add the second for the bigger stuff.

I shoot everything I owned with silencers except shotguns. I dont usually shoot at public ranges so I could care less what anyone else is shooting. 300 BO Subsonics are a joy to shoot through a SIG 762Ti Silencer without hearing protection. And yes, a 220 grain Subsonic through a SBR and Silencer combo is every bit as quiet as they pretend to be in the movies which even if they arent might I add is a pee poor reason for folks to call them anything other than what the inventor named them in 1912. Hiram Maxim christened them Silencers. A 1000 FPS 220 grain slug will drop a deer no problem at 100 yards.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top