JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I completely understand the suppressor thing.
Personally the cost and wait time stop me from getting one or a dozen lol.
I found it interesting the guy that said in Europe it's considered rude to shoot without one. At my club/range, I've only witnessed one person using one. And that was on a .22.
I guess I joined a very rude range.:(

I built a 10/22 takedown with a shrouded barrel and a lightweight Nikon scope. It's not much longer than stock with the shrouded barrel and muffler so it still fits in the bag. I find CCI standard velocity stays subsonic 99% of the time. It's great for rodent control at home and is super fun for everyone to shoot.

I also have one for 45, could have done without it...but it can be used on subsonic 300 blackout. My real issue with it is i have to direct thread it which is annoying. Oh and it sucks to clean the RMR on the handguns from the blow back.

I love the 30 cal muffler. .308 300BK, and other non-magnums that I have are fine without ears.
A tie with the 10/22 for quiet fun factor is a 300BK pistol I built. It's compact, light, low recoil, and of course quiet.
I have a Ruger 300BK bolt that the wife loves to shoot. It has also been good for deer around here.

One thing not mentioned too much here is recoil reduction. It makes a HUGE difference on my 300WM, still need ears but what a difference it makes in both sound and recoil.

Quoted just to say I love your avatar! Friend of mine in high school had a bright yellow `70 Mercury Cyclone with the 429. I had the Ford version; `70 Torino GT.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Fun cars, mines a '70 spoiler with the 429 cobra jet and a 4 speed. I almost wasn't let into an all Ford show because the people had no idea what it is.

Never had the desire to own one, but they seem to be all the rage now with the gun crowd. Even Hi-Point has got into the action.

Reasons I don't want one:

1. They are expensive.
2. They are not nearly as quiet as you see on TV and ear protection is often still needed.
3. They ruin the balance of most guns. I shoot to get familiar with my firearms for self-defense, and since I won't be carrying a silenced pistol around, practicing with one at the range is pointless.

So, I'm not in any way casting aspersions on anyone that has one, or six. I just don't understand the point of them.

Is there an actual practical use for them, or is it just a cool factor?

I have lots of impractical and cool toys, so I get that aspect of it. Just wondering if I'm missing something?

Balance and cost are valid issues. Not being as quiet as Hollywood portrays them? I don't care and I think most people who are going to go to the trouble of getting one will learn that before they get one, if they don't know already.

I want one primarily for my rimfires, and I would consider paying extra for an integral so as to not ruin the balance of the gun.

That being said, I still procrastinate about getting one - in part due to the expense (not a big deal to me, but just an excuse), but also because I don't want my kids to have to deal with the legal issues (one way or the other) in about 10-15 years when I shuffle off. Neither of which are really good reasons to not get a suppressor, but I have other things that take priority.

I tink the furure will be integral supressed, best of both words!

Here I would have to respectfully disagree based on present day NFA transfer issues. Lets say I spent roughly $2500 on the suppressors I have; if I wanted to sell them they'd be worth about $0. With all the insane rules about NFA transfers and the attendant cost it would make much more sense to buy a new one than a used one. The same sort of thing would apply to a firearm with a built-in suppressor barrel, now you've tied up the firearm into the NFA scheme.

From a purely technical standpoint I agree entirely but to tie up a firearm in the NFA means you have to really love it.

Here I would have to respectfully disagree based on present day NFA transfer issues. Lets say I spent roughly $2500 on the suppressors I have; if I wanted to sell them they'd be worth about $0. With all the insane rules about NFA transfers and the attendant cost it would make much more sense to buy a new one than a used one. The same sort of thing would apply to a firearm with a built-in suppressor barrel, now you've tied up the firearm into the NFA scheme.

From a purely technical standpoint I agree entirely but to tie up a firearm in the NFA means you have to really love it.
Or a market for an AR barrel, say a 16" Carbine length that so happens to be suppressed along the area between gas block and end of barrel, permanently attached? Should allow user to use standard carbine length handguard/tubes, or even low profile gas block/tube and a tube shroud that integrates the suppressor and handguard... should make for a nice, simple looking carbine with suppressed performance..... I know that the 16" carbine length barrels have a lot of barrel sticking out past the gas tube..

I tink the furure will be integral supressed, best of both words!
Only if they decriminalize mufflers would I agree.

This is why I built the 10/22 takedown like I did...best of both worlds. The shroud keeps it at 16" overall but you swap the muffler for the inert piece as you need.

THIS: ""a solution …. don't buy guns or suppressors to resell ! "problem" solved"

This is also my philosophy when buying anything be it a gun or suppressor or vehicle or what have you.

I buy it for me without regard to selling it.

I only sell if it doesn't work out for me... And normally that's cause I bought a gun that strays too far from my roots... First semiauto was a PSL. Sold it for an AR in .308, now at a FAL and some AKs.

If mags don't rock in and the CH ain't on the side, its not a gun for me.

a solution …. don't buy guns or suppressors to resell ! "problem" solved

Indeed. I suppose I understand factoring in resale, but for me, it isn't in the equation. Some guns I've dumped I've made money, others I lost, but I don't care because that wasn't the point of acquiring them in the first place.

How is that ?
Real simple. Buy low, even if dislike, to sell high, or simpler.. "this will make me some money, if I can get a good deal, regardless of how I feel about the item"

Versus "I like this item, lets see how good a deal I can get. *buys*" *time passes, maybe years* "Hmm I'm bored with this/I found something better/I thought I like it a lot.. *sells*"

How is that ?

Well, I don't imagine anyone get's married just so they can endure a divorce, regardless of how profitable the split may be. Sometimes though, things don't work out the way we hoped for, so we part ways.

I'm fine if someone else doesn't see the difference between buying to sell, and selling something that was bought; one is a motive, the other a result.

NFA items come with baggage; it can be difficult, expensive, and almost always time-consuming to change one's mind. And, it's not easy to go try them out in advance to say yes or no before committing. Mail-order marriage? Who knows.

Selling a rifle is easy; selling an NFA-encumbered rifle is harder, by definition. But let's say you just want to re-barrel it because you shot it out, now what? Title II weapons come with baggage; incoming and outgoing.

It's worth thinking about acquiring any and all NFA items long term even if you know, or believe you won't need, or want to, part ways with them.

I've spent more on beer than NFA items; right now they are both worth zero; I have no regrets with either of them.

Last Edited:
A tale of 4 cans:

1) I hunt gray diggers on a farm and there are two out and back walks that take about 45 minutes each. Before I started shooting suppressed a good day was 15 KIA grey diggers in 90 min.

My first time out with a can and CCI #056 hollow point .22 I shot 60 confirmed in 90 (ish) minutes. That did NOT suck.

2) I have a .30 can I put on everything. My .300 Win mag was a beast to shoot and pounded me. 12 rounds fired and I was good and done. Add the can (Sico harvester) and you could shoot 500 rounds through that gun in a day and beg for more. It has a .22-250 recoil impulse.

3) I have a .45 can that I use on multiple PCCs.... my MP5 and AR-9 are stooopid quiet. You have to wear earplugs if you shoot steel though because of the impact noise.

4) I have a 9mm fan screwed on a SBR Ruger 77/357. Loaded with 200 grain bullets and subsonic when you fire it it makes a BB gun seen loud. Everyone who shoots it can not believe how quiet it is, until you hit a piece of steel. Usually there is a OMG moment and a lot of giggling

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top