JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Never had the desire to own one, but they seem to be all the rage now with the gun crowd. Even Hi-Point has got into the action.

Reasons I don't want one:

1. They are expensive.
2. They are not nearly as quiet as you see on TV and ear protection is often still needed.
3. They ruin the balance of most guns. I shoot to get familiar with my firearms for self-defense, and since I won't be carrying a silenced pistol around, practicing with one at the range is pointless.

So, I'm not in any way casting aspersions on anyone that has one, or six. I just don't understand the point of them.

Is there an actual practical use for them, or is it just a cool factor?

I have lots of impractical and cool toys, so I get that aspect of it. Just wondering if I'm missing something?

Don't forget that unless everyone on the range has one you still need ear pro. I don't get them either unless you shoot in the woods by yourself.

On rifles with a bipod the balance doesn't matter. Using subsonic ammo in a pistol (45 ACP 230 grain, 40 S&W 180 grain, 9mm 147 grain) you don't need ear protection which is especially nice on hot days. With a 22 rifle giving instructions to younger shooters is easy without yelling. Recoil and blast are reduced so inexperienced shooters don't learn bad habits. They are expensive. The profit margin must be huge.

On rifles with a bipod the balance doesn't matter. Using subsonic ammo in a pistol (45 ACP 230 grain, 40 S&W 180 grain, 9mm 147 grain) you don't need ear protection which is especially nice on hot days. With a 22 rifle giving instructions to younger shooters is easy without yelling. Recoil and blast are reduced so inexperienced shooters don't learn bad habits. They are expensive. The profit margin must be huge.

I wondered if suppressors affected accuracy since the crown on a barrel is so vital; not a factor?

Just as with my SBR, its more hassle and paperwork. I regret my SBR now that pistol braces are all the rage.

However, I don't shoot on my own property.. sadly I have to use public land. If I did have my own range and I had neighbors nearby Id certainly consider suppressors as noise dampening devices to be more courteous.

To me, that would really be the only purpose.

I have owned my suppressor since ~2008. wait time was exactly 3 months. It does significantly cut down on the report from my .22lr pistol, and my .22lr rifle with subsonic ammo sounds like a pellet gun with the can on it. You literally only hear the action cycling and the impact of the bullet.

I can't say the same for larger caliber rifles, but for small calibers like .22lr it absolutely is about as quiet as the movies... that whistle/chirp sound hollywood loves to associate with a silencer is BS...more of a hammer clack and shhhhhhh sound.

So on the plus side: if you have your own property outside of city limits and a backstop: can usually shoot in your own yard and not piss off your neighbors with the gun noise... without the suppressor they get irritated.

downside: makes your gun that has the suppressor on it get 10x dirtier and significantly faster because it causes more blowback than normal of gasses into the action.

As someone who likes shooting 22 in the woods, they are great. The sound of a bolt action 22 shooting subsonic is ridiculous. The round impacting the target or hillside is louder than the report.

As for practical purposes, as was mentioned, it makes it easier to train new shooters or enjoy without the need for ear protection. Would I buy one for a caliber other than 22? Not likely so far, but I thoroughly enjoy the one I have.

I was the only one at the range once when another guy walked up. He laughed because he thought I was shooting a BB gun at first. Truth be told, my Red Ryder might be louder than my Ruger American Rimfire shooting CCI quiets.

If you haven't tried one, I'd recommend it. A buddy I shoot with ordered his first can after trying mine.

Edit: As for the impact on accuracy, most of what I've read is related to a POI shift with a suppressor vs without, but it's usually consistent. My POI doesn't change much at 22 range (50 yards or less).

A good suppressor with subsonic ammo is a wonderful thing. I've never understood why they made the list on the '34 NFA.
I'm required by law to have a muffler on my truck, why should I have to pay a "tax" and register one for my guns?

We have several cans at the present. I have zero regrets taking the time, funds, and hassle to acquire them. Why?

• On some platforms they are very quiet (e.g., subsonic .22s, .32 ACP, .38 Special). Some are hearing safe, so I can shoot without hearing protection. If I am shooting with my wife, we can carry on a conversation uninterrupted.
  • Others, while not hearing safe, change a very noisy gun into something much quieter. It also diminishes muzzle flash. (My SBRed AR-15, for example, is a noisy, blinding little brute without the can, but is pleasant with.)
  • I shoot on my own property, both suppressed and not. With the former, it is less noise pollution in the general area.
  • If/when I ever get back into hunting, I can do so without damaging my hearing.
  • I can think of only one firearm that it really messes with the balance (a Mini-14). The rest cause no noticeable problem (e.g., the aforementioned AR, Marlin 1894 CST etc.) while another it helps a lot in the form of providing a forearm of sorts (the SBRed vz61).
The only downsides I've found are:

• They aren't inexpensive and the NFA process is a dumpster-fire. But once done, it is done. Put another way, a minor annoyance years ago isn't something that causes concern.
  • They can throw off the balance some, but as mentioned above (except for one) I haven't had any problems in this regard. Though I only really shoot them on carbines (some ultra small and light), and have noticed on handguns it can throw off the balance more.
  • They tend to funk up a gun faster than without. But if you are going to clean it anyway, who cares.
All and all, I am glad we added several to the line up. It has enhanced our shooting time greatly and may do so even more when getting back into hunting. The NFA registration aspect is as stupid as it is unconstitutional, but it is the law of the land now, and has to be dealt with.

But doesn't the sub-sonic ammo have less energy and different impact point than regular ammo? So wouldn't it be for just plinking anyway?

private land shooter and hunter here. suppressors are great for where i shoot. plus, i dont need hearing protection. even with hearing protection in an unsuppressed rifle or pistol still rings MY ears. the 520yard portion of the range is indoor where the bench is located. ever shot a big rifle indoors? even with double hearing protection its unbearable. suppressor fixes that. subsonics are super quiet even out of semi automatics in my opinion. when hunting, i can hear my bullet hit the animal and like most hunters, i dont wear ear protection while hunting. suppressors also mitigate recoil substantially reducing the chance for new and even veteran shooters to develop bad habits. they allow me personally to be more steady shooting off hand.

suppressors also can be built for cheap. the question is, how much is your hearing worth to you?

OP: I shot a pair of 22LR a buddy got, about 5 years ago. Between the M2 pistol & 10/22 he admitted having nearly $1000 each into their purchase. Nice? Sure.

In my world of priorities, CB caps & my longhorn model 17 accomplish similar db.

add to my last post, in a self defense home invasion, you wont be deaf and disoriented after shooting someone in your home...or blinded by the flash.

just sayin. like'm or not thats fine. i prefer suppressors, personally.

I wondered if suppressors affected accuracy since the crown on a barrel is so vital; not a factor?
I have not noticed any accuracy differences with or without. Only thing that affects accuracy is the ammo from my experience anyway. Than again my rifle came with a flash hider...so it's always had something on the muzzle since day 1. (S&W M&P 15-22)

My favorite ammo out of my .22lr rifle for shooting suppressed, or for accuracy is CCI standard velocity. its consistent, cleaner than many, and it doesn't go supersonic at any point.

Out of my .22lr pistol with the 3.4" barrel I can shoot federal bulk pack ammo and it stays subsonic since the barrel isn't long enough to reach supersonic velocity.

Ditto what @Mr Smith said; with one notable exception,* I haven't seen any real accuracy issues. And the the Marlin 1894 CST I run with a can is an absolute tack-driver. It is fun blasting away at metallic silhouettes with said. :D

* A 10/22, with a specific load, and can in place is way off. Not sure why, but now that I know, easy enough to avoid.

The types of subsonic pistol ammo I listed above are normal target shooting loads, but are subsonic. Cheap to buy and not much difference in point of impact, effectively none for my horrible pistol skills!

I was in the "I don't get it" side.

Then I spent the last 2-3 years waiting for the ones I bought.

This furthered the "I don't get it" feeling.

Then I got the 22 silencer.

I've been converted.

They aren't for everyone, but everyone secretly wants one.

If the NFA went away, I'd put money on every hater owning one or more.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top