JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But doesn't the sub-sonic ammo have less energy and different impact point than regular ammo? So wouldn't it be for just plinking anyway?

It all depends. To give you an example.
I have a 300blackout SBR that I shoot suppressed with subsonic ammo (220gr).
I shot it unsuppressed with subsonic ammo and zeroed the EoTech with the rifle.
I then added the suppressor, shot several groups, and then noted where the zero needed to be and adjusted. (about an inch)
Now it's zeroed suppressed out to 100yds and I have drop information out to 200yds.
It's a dedicated subsonic gun now.

With a pistol, like say a 9mm, the difference between 115gr (super) and 147gr (sub) is negligible at the distances that I would have the expectation of using that gun.

As with everything, your mileage may vary.

If I knew I was going to stay in Oregon or believed the laws would be stable I might invest in a suppressor for HD. The thought of moving to another state as it is difficult with the current gun laws.

As someone who has done a little varmint and predator hunting, it gives you a few more shots until the critters get scarce.

As far as my hearing being damaged when big game hunting or in SD situation, I don't remember hearing the gun go off on any big game animal Ive ever shot at. I've been present when someone cooked off rounds indoors and didn't really hear that either.

As someone who has done a little varmint and predator hunting, it gives you a few more shots until the critters get scarce.

As far as my hearing being damaged when big game hunting or in SD situation, I don't remember hearing the gun go off on any big game animal Ive ever shot at. I've been present when someone cooked off rounds indoors and didn't really hear that either.

I was in the living room when a dude I used to be friends with had a ND. With my gun. It was a J frame 38. He was active LEO at the time. Picked it up off the table, took it out of the holster and pulled the trigger.

My ears rang for hours.

If I knew I was going to stay in Oregon or believed the laws would be stable I might invest in a suppressor for HD. The thought of moving to another state as it is difficult with the current gun laws.

If the state you are moving to allows suppressors, it is super easy: do nothing. Silencers and AOWs don't require notifying ATF of said. I, personally would, to keep the registry accurate, but it isn't required.

Seems to me the best real-world use for them is for home defense. Sure, you won't carry a suppressed pistol with you, but keeping one handy by the bed is a different story. Then if you ever need to shoot it in the house, you're at a much lower risk of deafening yourself and the rest of the family.
This would be the only reason I'd consider one.

To me suppressors a lot like full-auto guns, or even boats for that matter. They're not really my thing and I'm not particularly interested in owning one, but it's nice to know people who go to the expense and trouble of owning them, and occasionally invite me to the range (or lake) to enjoy them. :)

You could make your own with just the price of a form 1 tax stamp.
As far as irreparably ruining your firearm, a lot of guns come with threaded barrels and my favorite suppressed .22lr pistol has an easily adapted barrel that is reversible.

sw-2213-1a.jpg

Threaded barrel is now pretty much a requirement for me to be interested in any new firearm.

Suppressors are great for introducing new shooters. The concussion is removed as well as most of the recoil. The proper set up is comfortable, little to no gas back in the face and bottom line FUN for the new shooter.

This is my 17yr old Niece that never touched a gun before. In-laws not all that 2A, she ask to shoot a gun for the experince. After starting with the suppressed bolt action .22's she moved on to her favorite a CZ Scorpion with a SIG SRD9 can. Shooting my custom loaded 165gn 9mm round, "Snap....Thud". Big grins all afternoon as she nailed clay pigeons on the back berm. (Miss just a bit and the energy of that 165grn round weaponizes the dirt, that blows up the clay pigeon, you cant miss!)

Now she takes that positive gun experience with her to UC Berkeley this next yr. Ya that UC Berkeley in Californistan. She has free thinking that includes guns properly used are fun and safe.

1B82317B-FD91-4387-8C72-A61037874620.jpeg

I have yet to "ruin" a firearm, a silencer, or both while running suppressed, with thousands of rounds put down range, over many years. :confused:

So you take an early (pre safety) Marlin 1894 in 357, great condition, and thread it. Now you've ruined it. You killed any value in the gun, and fewer people will want it. It has no collector value, little shooter value, and all to become a fad/novelty. Same with a pre 64 Winchester model 70, Kimber Super America, Browning 1886, Winchester 9422, etc. They are the owners guns to do whatever they want with, but yes, it does ruin the gun to thread it.

Is this guy messing with us with some of these threads?:confused:

No way, these are all sincere threads made by a staunch pro-2A supporter. To those of you that own cans, I feel like I should be able to borrow them whenever I want for free.

Not really. Again, too soon? :p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads