JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the sounds of the rest of the story, neither of these guys has show a whole lot of common sense in their behavior. Bar fights, false police reports, etc. Not that this isn't an over-reaction on the part of the Aussie olympic people, but I expect these guys knew their behavior was under close scrutiny and should have acted smarter...

Sometimes a dude holding a pistol or a shotgun, is just a dude holding a pistol or a shotgun...
Australian Olympic swimmers criticized for Facebook gun photo | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports

That article was unintentionally funny.

Two members of the Australian Olympic swim team are under fire for posing with three high-powered guns and posting the photo on Facebook.

Swimming Australia demanded Kenrick Monk take down the picture of him and Nick D'Arcy in a California gun shop.

High power guns in California? So are those of the squirting variety? The author of the article uses "surprisingly surprised" later in it. Good to see professional journalism is alive and well.:rolleyes:

This is another one of those times where people just don't think. Why do people think it is a good idea to post pictures on Facebook? Bah!

Though, I'll agree it is stupid of the committee to freak out. It is equally stupid to post pictures like that when you are from a country that freaks out over it.

and did we forget who reports these things?

Journalist_cdf2c8_2381479.jpg

Actually, Aussies can shoot quite a bit, and hunt with guns.
If they are licensed. It takes quite a bit to get the license I guess. Certainly more than we would put up with in the western U.S.
I believe you must also be a member of a gun club.
Pistols are very difficult to get, and must be gun club affiliated. They recognize no legitimate use for non-LEO/Military, other than target shooting.
Self loaders and pump guns are no-nos.
Your locked/lockable gun storage has to be inspected by authorities regularly. (annually?) Don't let the inspector find guns/gun parts/ammo just "laying about."

I am on another board or two where Aussies and Kiwis chime in regularly. The Aussies are big on 'roo shooting, deer hunting and small game. Mostly rabbits and hares. Roos are treated like yotes and other large varmints are here, and roo shooters have been known to wear out barrels with relative frequency.

They also have the Sambar deer, which resembles NA elk, and is just about as large. Minimum caliber allowed to hunt Sambars is the .270 Win.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top