JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok heres how it happened... I asked bi mart for small pistol primers, and was handed magnum small pistol... so I hit the bench.. processed 500 or so cases, grabbed my hand primer and went to priming,,, dropped in the second batch of 100 ,, was 75 or so cases in when glancing at the box I saw magnum... stopped and looked yes I have 3 boxes of the 15 or so I have purchased over the last year that are magnums.... and I loaded 75 or so and dropped the primed cases into my box with 300 or so other prepped and primed cases....
so heres the million dollar question....whats the pressure (cup) between magnum small pistol primers and standard small pistol primers all are cci all are in .357 magnum cases... all will be loaded with unique pwder and cast 158 grn lead, and I load middle of the scale ....do I need to wet down and dump 300ish primed cases and reprime them, or can these be loaded,, bear in mind out of the 300 75 or so are magnum, and I cannot tell wich 75...
I think I have answered myself,,,, but I just hate to kill 300 primers and redo them.

You'll be fine.. they are safe. It's just too bad that there's now no way to know which are which.. once loaded.. barring testing equipment.
It's just that now, the groups, were it in a Ransom rest, will be slightly larger (if at all) than if all the primers were the same.
The pressure increase and resulting accuracy degradation with what you've done, in this case, is negligible.

I have loaded 6gr of unique under a 158gr RNFP in my .357 levergun with cci550 and cci 500 and don't notice a difference. They all go bang and no pressure signs. It is a medium load though, but makes steel targets sing.

As other have already said, don't worry about it. You will be fine.

FWIW About a year ago, when the panic was just starting, the wife found 27k Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers and bought them. Been using them in my 9mm (plinking loads) ever since. They work fine with no perceptible difference.

I've been using small rifle exclusively for rifle and pistol for a few years now.
It keeps it simple for me and if I go hot, I work up to it.
Large pistol and rifle are slightly different sizes (height) though.

Are you running them in semi's I have heard the small rifle have a harder cup and some pistols are picky I have considered the same myself for ease
I've been using small rifle exclusively for rifle and pistol for a few years now.
It keeps it simple for me and if I go hot, I work up to it.
Large pistol and rifle are slightly different sizes (height) though.

Everything.. revolvers (single, double, DAO), semi's (hammer and striker) and different long guns. I've been using a mix of Federal, CCI and Tulammo. They all work perfectly with no ignition failures.
I stopped using my Federal and CCI so I can whittle down the other as I have a fair bit of that.

Standard CCI small pistol has always been considered the hardest/thickest of the small pistol and Federal the softest, for whatever that's worth.

Thanks for info :s0155:.

QUOTE=Certaindeaf;1010616]Everything.. revolvers (single, double, DAO), semi's (hammer and striker) and different long guns. I've been using a mix of Federal, CCI and Tulammo. They all work perfectly with no ignition failures.
I stopped using my Federal and CCI so I can whittle down the other as I have a fair bit of that.

Standard CCI small pistol has always been considered the hardest/thickest of the small pistol and Federal the softest, for whatever that's worth.[/QUOTE]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top