JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the old days I'd have said get creative. If the guy didn't make good or at least offer a reasonable explanation then write him off and give him $120 of inconvenience. A guy who swiped some stuff from a friend's party back in high school learned his lesson when we put his car on blocks about an inch off the ground. He couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't move and called for a tow truck - I'm sure the hour spent waiting for the tow and the look he got from the tow truck driver labeling him as an idiot cost him more in annoyance than the items he swiped.
Now days I would avoid things like this as any witnesses might result in you being the one in trouble. Hope you get your money back... either way its a relatively cheap lesson.

At a get together at our home after the record Tea Party rally at Olympia someone stole 140 bucks that was on my kitchen counter. I figure whoever it was will pay many times over for stealing that pittance

What recourse does he have through small claims court? He has no witnesses.
Don't need any. Small claims hears this he said/she said BS all the time. Worst thing that can happen is the clown wont show and the OP gets a default judgment.

I would definitely focus any efforts in this direction rather than that poster route. It's hard to own money to a nice guy, easy to owe it to an a-hole.

First Let me note that I have recieved many warnings for OPs on this site because they did not mention firearms I am therefore happy to see that the rest of the population here does not labor under that same rule
(#9)

As to the OP,
Never trust a so called "friend", never trust anyone outside your family, never trust your family with your own money.
I would have been a millionaire today if I had headed that advise 30 years ago.

Just consider this a cheap lesson in life. Don't trust anyone! I would not do anything stupid for $120 either. People like that have a way of turning everything around and painting you as a nut case when the heat comes down.

The most I would do is file a police report and call him a lot. He might get tired of it and have some money on pay day.

And then you will find that the judgment is pretty much unenforceable. I've done it several times and never collected.
Entirely depends on what kind of assets they have. Wages can be garnished, liens placed. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear the OPs perp has neither.

$120 is nothing. I got ripped a couple thousands in my life time. But let me tell you this, if you got in trouble with the law before, you would let this go or don't let it get bigger than it already is. Its not worth it.

And then you will find that the judgment is pretty much unenforceable. I've done it several times and never collected.

====================================================================

I ran into that problem before also, I ended up using a collection agency to collect on the last one, the collection agency took over half the judgement in fees, but that is better then nothing and the big plus is they hounded the guy into paying.

Hire a private investigator to track him down and speak with him. That may be all the impetus it takes to get your money back!

You will see private investigators filling many rolls formerly occupied by law enforcement as they continue to cut back. If you are a victim of theft or vandalism you need answers. If the police can't investigate, you are well within your rights to hire a professional to get you answers and produce evidence to law enforcement for prosecution.

Squeeze em a little. Put the pressure on them.

You have nothing to lose but time and have your money to gain. (btw: your texts are costing me a fortune on my prepaid plan)

Dishonest people will break under pressure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top