JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After watching Suzanna Gratia Hupp's testimony some time ago, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis ) I was certain I would NEVER leave my home without a sidearm again. I guess complacency sneaks up on us sometimes. Then just recently the shooting in Colorado, where as I understand, there were NO armed guards, nor were firearms allowed on the premise. Just another wake up call for all of us. One more reason to be armed and ready. (Screw the "rules"!)

This brings us to roughly one month ago, when I decided I had enough of the stress and was ready for a little time away. I planned a camping trip, just me and my 9 year old daughter. She's at that age where she want's to spend most of her time with Mommy, which is tough for this old man. (Divorced with joint custody.) I was excited. The plan was to leave Thursday evening and return Sunday at a decent time. Camping, tons of live music of every genre, swimming in the creek behind our camping spot, food, games, just an all-out fun, relaxing, stress-free weekend. Finally!

One small issue. Parking and camping are separated. I understood, they didn't want the extra liability that drinking and vehicles could cause. So that's where our nightmare REALLY began. It didn't make sense to keep my sidearm locked in the rig....wouldn't do much good if I needed it. ("Hang on attacker, please allow me to go to my rig, grab my pistol, and I shall return in 5 to 10 minutes to stop your attack.") I knew I couldn't carry ALL the time while there.....kind of tough with the high heat and knowing I'll be spending half the time in the creek with my water-dog child. Hate the thought of leaving it in the tent unattended, what with so many kids and families in attendance, never know that one bad apple might ransack our living quarters and make off with a loaded .40 S&W. Too far to take it to the truck each time we hit the water....what the heck. It's going to be a fun-filled weekend of camping, live music, kids everywhere....maybe just this once I'll leave it at home. What are the chances anyway, really?

Stupid.

Friday morning we awoke to a beautiful day. My daughter, being the Tomboy that she is, wanted to play catch with the football as soon as she got up. Groovy! OK, let's have some breakfast. (She get's crabby if she doesn't eat!) Sure is hot already.....let's take a walk in the creek and cool off. Very shallow, not even up to my knees. We had fun as she was looking for rocks for her collection, Jasper, Quarts, hey...Daddy found a fist sized chunk of petrified wood! Cool!

We come back to camp to get dry clothes just as the first band hits the stage. Do some walking, meeting great people, vendors, owner of the property....we literally felt like family there. Wow it's hot, let's go for a swim!

That's how our day went....LOTS of swimming, conversing with others, playing football, lasso golf, Frisbee.....it was a perfect day! This is what I was hoping for and more, as this is the day that marked 9 years since my Mom and Step Dad were killed due to a motorcycle accident. Today I was having fun with my daughter, and not being sad and remembering the horrific detail from 9 years ago.

The night ended with hundreds of glow sticks being thrown towards the stage. My daughter, along with MANY other kids, rushed the stage to gather as many as they could. 3 women in bikinis then played with fire to music (Firedancers).....show's over folks. 11:00 p.m., time to hit the sack and do it all over again tomorrow!

Next thing I know, at roughly 2:30 a.m., I awake to the sound of DOZENS of drunk-tards, 15 to 20 feet away from our tent, yelling and screaming. "KELLY! KELLY! KELLY!" That went on for a couple minutes straight. They were yelling and screaming all kinds of obscenities, and just flat out being annoying drunks, disrupting the whole campsite. I was getting pi$$ed, and I placed my daughters covers over her ear to help muffle the noise, as she started to stir. Then I hear something I didn't want to hear....."DROP THE KNIFE!!! DROP THE KNIFE!! DROP THE FU*&ING KNIFE!!!!!" Over and over again. "What the helllllll?" I thought.

Then it happened.

Just as I started to sit up, they came crashing down on our tent. Someone grazed my back, one of my tent poles sprang out of it's once secured metal ring.....I grabbed my daughter and YANKED her towards the middle of the tent. I grabbed my flashlight and reached for my pistol. Ya...right. I was stupid and left it at home. The first thing I found for a weapon was a log my kid brought from the creek. It looked like a miniature Captain Caveman club, and it was HEAVY. Well, it's all I have.

The yelling continued, but it was obvious they were all running away from our camp. Thank God! I got out, looked around, checked my shorts and lit a cigarette. "What the hell just happened?" I thought. I calmed my kid, although she wasn't sure why I yanked her off the air mattress in the first place. Let's go back to bed....

The next morning, the owner came by our camp. (As he did the previous morning, just to make sure we were having fun and didn't need anything.) He told me a large group of scum snuck in after security left, just to cause trouble. The fight was over some glow in the dark or light-up novelty glasses. This piece of crap STABBED someone ON MY TENT over it! One of the people that subdued him was cut on the leg. One of the volunteers I had been conversing with over the last couple of days was the one that cleaned this dudes clock. One punch and it looked like the guy got hit in the face with a baseball bat.

I got complacent. I thought..."It'll be ok just this once." I don't think I need to tell you how I still feel, knowing that all I could protect my 9 year old with was a flashlight and a piece of wood. Never again, kiddos. Never again.

Although IF I had my sidearm with me, I wouldn't have used it. But it happened so fast, and it could have very easily gone very wrong for us. What if the knife came through the tent and struck one of us as they fell on us? What if they didn't run off, and I had to get my kid out of there, in the dark, and we were blocked in and subsequently threatened with that knife? What if??????

It was a very frightening wake up call. Just like Suzanna Gratia Hupp, just like Columbine, just like Colorado......you never know when it will happen. And that's just the thing. This world is so messed up right now, it's no more "What if"....it's "When?"

I'll be prepared next time.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/lo...cle_dd6b99fd-fc2e-5b2b-866c-dc5bafbc5380.html

ETA: I just want to say, that EVERYONE involved in organizing this event are awesome people! VERY nice, very friendly. They ALL did an awesome job all weekend to make this a safe and fun event for everyone. It's unfortunate that some may use this for bad publicity, but this will not thwart me from going again next year. Just like all the other bad stuff, sometimes you just can't keep it away....and also this group of losers had NOTHING to do with the festival. They snuck in, without paying...to cause trouble. Kudos to the owner of the property, his wife, and ALL who were a part of organizing this event :)

Although IF I had my sidearm with me, I wouldn't have used it. But it happened so fast, and it could have very easily gone very wrong for us. What if the knife came through the tent and struck one of us as they fell on us? What if they didn't run off, and I had to get my kid out of there, in the dark, and we were blocked in and subsequently threatened with that knife? What if??????

Just because you have one does not mean you HAVE to use it. But having it means you have the option IF the situation was different then what happened.

We heard her story when we went to IGOLD in Illinois this year before we moved out west. That is the story all the antis need to hear and put themselves in her shoes for a minute. If my wife and unborn child were in danger then I would do whatever it took to protect them. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

After watching Suzanna Gratia Hupp's testimony some time ago, ( Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment! - YouTube ) I was certain I would NEVER leave my home without a sidearm again. I guess complacency sneaks up on us sometimes. Then just recently the shooting in Colorado, where as I understand, there were NO armed guards, nor were firearms allowed on the premise. Just another wake up call for all of us. One more reason to be armed and ready. (Screw the "rules"!)

This brings us to roughly one month ago, when I decided I had enough of the stress and was ready for a little time away. I planned a camping trip, just me and my 9 year old daughter. She's at that age where she want's to spend most of her time with Mommy, which is tough for this old man. (Divorced with joint custody.) I was excited. The plan was to leave Thursday evening and return Sunday at a decent time. Camping, tons of live music of every genre, swimming in the creek behind our camping spot, food, games, just an all-out fun, relaxing, stress-free weekend. Finally!

One small issue. Parking and camping are separated. I understood, they didn't want the extra liability that drinking and vehicles could cause. So that's where our nightmare REALLY began. It didn't make sense to keep my sidearm locked in the rig....wouldn't do much good if I needed it. ("Hang on attacker, please allow me to go to my rig, grab my pistol, and I shall return in 5 to 10 minutes to stop your attack.") I knew I couldn't carry ALL the time while there.....kind of tough with the high heat and knowing I'll be spending half the time in the creek with my water-dog child. Hate the thought of leaving it in the tent unattended, what with so many kids and families in attendance, never know that one bad apple might ransack our living quarters and make off with a loaded .40 S&W. Too far to take it to the truck each time we hit the water....what the heck. It's going to be a fun-filled weekend of camping, live music, kids everywhere....maybe just this once I'll leave it at home. What are the chances anyway, really?

Stupid.

Friday morning we awoke to a beautiful day. My daughter, being the Tomboy that she is, wanted to play catch with the football as soon as she got up. Groovy! OK, let's have some breakfast. (She get's crabby if she doesn't eat!) Sure is hot already.....let's take a walk in the creek and cool off. Very shallow, not even up to my knees. We had fun as she was looking for rocks for her collection, Jasper, Quarts, hey...Daddy found a fist sized chunk of petrified wood! Cool!

We come back to camp to get dry clothes just as the first band hits the stage. Do some walking, meeting great people, vendors, owner of the property....we literally felt like family there. Wow it's hot, let's go for a swim!

That's how our day went....LOTS of swimming, conversing with others, playing football, lasso golf, Frisbee.....it was a perfect day! This is what I was hoping for and more, as this is the day that marked 9 years since my Mom and Step Dad were killed due to a motorcycle accident. Today I was having fun with my daughter, and not being sad and remembering the horrific detail from 9 years ago.

The night ended with hundreds of glow sticks being thrown towards the stage. My daughter, along with MANY other kids, rushed the stage to gather as many as they could. 3 women in bikinis then played with fire to music (Firedancers).....show's over folks. 11:00 p.m., time to hit the sack and do it all over again tomorrow!

Next thing I know, at roughly 2:30 a.m., I awake to the sound of DOZENS of drunk-tards, 15 to 20 feet away from our tent, yelling and screaming. "KELLY! KELLY! KELLY!" That went on for a couple minutes straight. They were yelling and screaming all kinds of obscenities, and just flat out being annoying drunks, disrupting the whole campsite. I was getting pi$$ed, and I placed my daughters covers over her ear to help muffle the noise, as she started to stir. Then I hear something I didn't want to hear....."DROP THE KNIFE!!! DROP THE KNIFE!! DROP THE FU*&ING KNIFE!!!!!" Over and over again. "What the helllllll?" I thought.

Then it happened.

Just as I started to sit up, they came crashing down on our tent. Someone grazed my back, one of my tent poles sprang out of it's once secured metal ring.....I grabbed my daughter and YANKED her towards the middle of the tent. I grabbed my flashlight and reached for my pistol. Ya...right. I was stupid and left it at home. The first thing I found for a weapon was a log my kid brought from the creek. It looked like a miniature Captain Caveman club, and it was HEAVY. Well, it's all I have.

The yelling continued, but it was obvious they were all running away from our camp. Thank God! I got out, looked around, checked my shorts and lit a cigarette. "What the hell just happened?" I thought. I calmed my kid, although she wasn't sure why I yanked her off the air mattress in the first place. Let's go back to bed....

The next morning, the owner came by our camp. (As he did the previous morning, just to make sure we were having fun and didn't need anything.) He told me a large group of scum snuck in after security left, just to cause trouble. The fight was over some glow in the dark or light-up novelty glasses. This piece of crap STABBED someone ON MY TENT over it! One of the people that subdued him was cut on the leg. One of the volunteers I had been conversing with over the last couple of days was the one that cleaned this dudes clock. One punch and it looked like the guy got hit in the face with a baseball bat.

I got complacent. I thought..."It'll be ok just this once." I don't think I need to tell you how I still feel, knowing that all I could protect my 9 year old with was a flashlight and a piece of wood. Never again, kiddos. Never again.

It was a very frightening wake up call. Just like Suzanna Gratia Hupp, just like Columbine, just like Colorado......you never know when it will happen. And that's just the thing. This world is so messed up right now, it's no more "What if"....it's "When?"

I'll be prepared next time.

Man arrested in stabbing incident at music fest in Scio

ETA: I just want to say, that EVERYONE involved in organizing this event are awesome people! VERY nice, very friendly. They ALL did an awesome job all weekend to make this a safe and fun event for everyone. It's unfortunate that some may use this for bad publicity, but this will not thwart me from going again next year. Just like all the other bad stuff, sometimes you just can't keep it away....and also this group of losers had NOTHING to do with the festival. They snuck in, without paying...to cause trouble. Kudos to the owner of the property, his wife, and ALL who were a part of organizing this event :)

I once posted this else ware on NWF
In over forty years of concealed carry only once did I consider using my side arm. A drug induced man with a knife speaking in tongues was going to stab me with a big shinny knife. My spouse stepped forward and interrupted the indecent. A female companion of the perpetrator noticed besides me, attached to my wife was a hands on S&W tied to her belt. Now not so concealed! His girl friend became so concerned at this time she gave him a big hug and pulled him back shouting she has a gun. Had he taken one step toward my wife I would have shot his liver out, five times.

Same thing at a private gathering with friends. Wearing shorts and tee shirt thinking I should put my side arm back in the camp, feeling almost out of place needing defense against friends.
I did Not put my arm back in camp! Needless to say.

The guy with the knife was just released from pelican bay prison, California.
The reason I know this is I filed a police report that afternoon. The man was later found a week or so later driving under the influence and in possession a large volume of narcotics by the same officer with whom I spoke. He later let me know they had enough on him to get him his old room back. His words.
This was an incident that left me with no doubt mine or my wife's life was in danger. He showed intent. My wife gave warning put the knife down. It would have been a clean shoot had he moved. I would have had a questionable, prolonged trial. Just maybe it might have been found in my favor.

Hands on, I did not draw my weapon but if he took one step forward with that knife, he would never have seen me draw. That close, one step from me one step to his end. I wasn't going to miss from arms length after forty years of preparation. Not for what was at stake my wife of more that forty years or myself.
He was an unknown, that some how was invited to the party of several hundred.

For circumstances like you described (tent camping near others, away from vehicle, no safe place to secure weapon while swimming) a $200 used Kel Tec would be ideal. You could disassemble it and stick the slide in your pocket, or disable it by locking it to some sort of immoveable object with a bike lock while you were away. Or, you could hide it (unloaded) in a ziploc bag in the bottom of a bag of garbage where no one would look. If it gets ripped off, you arent out much, but its a reliable enough gun to save your life in a pinch. I have an old KelTec with some cosmetic issues that is my "car gun"...its not the prettiest thing in the world but its been 100% reliable for me and 10+1 rounds of 9mm+P JHP's is more than adequate for any situation I might find myself in.

Personally I wouldn't mind a CC subcompact in a ziploc. Still goes bang at least once, then you can tear the bag from around it. J-Frame would be ideal, poke your finger through to the trigger and defend to the best of your ability.

Then again you couldn't even get me in shallow water unless you had a pike and attack dogs 'encouraging' me.

I am sure you learned you lesson and I would recommend you carry as much as you can, because as you experienced, the chance of something happening is much higher when one chooses not carry (people who have CHL)... that's just how it is I guess. Also it's always a good idea to check around your environment and work out a plan in your head just in case something happens.... that way you have an exit plan. You have to always be a few steps ahead.
Also just because you carry a firearm, it does not mean you are gonna use it. I have been in situations when I had to pull my shirt away and place my hand on my pistol because someone was about to start something with me (give out verbal warnings and demands etc.)... and you also have to have that point of no return where the firearm is gonna come out and point at the bad guy and if he or she does not stop, well.... BANG! (assuming you were cornered... maybe multiple bad guys, you couldn't run away, or you had no choice but to use deadly force).

Maybe now you and your daughter can start shooting as a hobby, that way she gets educated, learns a new skill, and she can defend herself if something happens in the future. Also another excuse to buy another gun lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top