JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Note: I have shelved this idea. I was looking for members to role play as a independent voter or fence sitter on gun rights. My message was a fail. On to the next idea!

I would like some fellow gun owners to play devils advocate and try to convince me as to why I should give up any of my gun rights. Any takers?

Last Edited:
the fact that one should need to have others tell them why they should or should not have the rights to defend their lives points to a possibly of a lack of critical thinking skills

some people should just stand behind the ones willing to defend the innocent

I have made up my mind and that is I will never give mine up.
you know I was going to play but it dawned on me that I need to be careful and not provide the enemy any information. The problem with this is that it gets in the way of having a conversation like you wanted,. We know the enemy is watching be careful.

It is important and can indeed , be helpful to see a issue from another person's view.
It is even more helpful if both folks are sincere in their intentions , of promoting discussion or a exchange of views.

Quite often , it seems as if one or both sides are set in their views or ways...and this level of discussion is impossible or useless.
This along with the overall feelings of distrust and sense of divide can also preclude any meaningful discussion.

Many times "discussions" of this nature , just turn into :
Blanket Statements...
"My guy / political group " is better than your guy or political group...
Assumptions , which can at times be wrong...
Ill will towards others...
Only a few members voicing thoughts and opinions...
Name calling...

Please tread lightly in this thread....
Andy

It is important and can indeed , be helpful to see a issue from another person's view.
It is even more helpful if both folks are sincere in their intentions , of promoting discussion or a exchange of views.

Quite often , it seems as if one or both sides are set in their views or ways...and this level of discussion is impossible or useless.
This along with the overall feelings of distrust and sense of divide can also preclude any meaningful discussion.

Many times "discussions" of this nature , just turn into :
Blanket Statements...
"My guy / political group " is better than your guy or political group...
Assumptions , which can at times be wrong...
Ill will towards others...

Please tread lightly in this thread....
Andy
This might not be the right crowd to try and develop my debate and critical thinking skills. I am use to communicating with like minded individuals which is like being in an echo chamber. That doesn't necessarily prepare me to debate with others who have opposing views or concerns. I will rethink this idea.

the fact that one should need to have others tell them why they should or should not have the rights to defend their lives points to a possibly of a lack of critical thinking skills

some people should just stand behind the ones willing to defend the innocent
I appreciate the criticism and I think everyone has room to improve their critical thinking skills. You sound like you have it all figured out so I hope you will engage with the independents, faux 2a supporters, fence sitters, etc and sway some of them over to our side. I was late to this gun rights fight party so I will work on getting up to speed so I don't need to stand behind the experts forever.

This might not be the right crowd to try and develop my debate and critical thinking skills. I am use to communicating with like minded individuals which is like being in an echo chamber. That doesn't necessarily prepare me to debate with others who have opposing views or concerns. I will rethink this idea.
I actually admire what you're trying to do. Good luck with it.

Because they are dangerous! And you could hurt someone!

The government should not allow people to do things that are dangerous, like pumping gas!!! Thank god we have a local government that keeps us from having to pump gas, that is a terribly dangerous task, only for professionals. You could spill it, catch something on fire, god knows what else. Same with guns.

If you need meat, go buy it at the store. The professionals (butchers) will take care of it for you. See? no need for a gun to provide food.

As a fun activity? Have you ever heard of bocce ball? Very difficult game, requires lots of hand/eye coordination and is an easy replacement for target shooting and you don't even need to find a gun range to shoot at and you can play with multiple friends at the same time! You can do this in your yard or at the nearest playground. Why go through the hassle of having drive someplace to shoot a silly old gun, when you can practice hand-eye coordination activities right in your own backyard, and no noise to bother the neighbors either. You can buy a set of balls for the price of one box of 45acp ammo and it will last for years of enjoyment, instead of going pew-pew and the fun is all done in 15 minutes.

Home protection? A baseball bat should be more than sufficient or wait for the police, they will be there in a matter a minutes, you just need to be patient and wait. Lock yourself in the bathroom. They will be there any moment. Oh, the kids are screaming? They're just scared, but it will be alright the police will be there very soon...

Such a silly question. There is no need for anyone to have a gun.

The government should not allow people to do things that are dangerous, like pumping gas!!! Thank god we have a local government that keeps us from having to pump gas, that is a terribly dangerous task, only for professionals. You could spill it, catch something on fire, god knows what else. Same with guns.

If you need meat, go buy it at the store. The professionals (butchers) will take care of it for you. See? no need for a gun to provide food.

As a fun activity? Have you ever heard of bocce ball? Very difficult game, requires lots of hand/eye coordination and is an easy replacement for target shooting and you don't even need to find a gun range to shoot at and you can play with multiple friends at the same time! You can do this in your yard or at the nearest playground. Why go through the hassle of having drive someplace to shoot a silly old gun, when you can practice hand-eye coordination activities right in your own backyard, and no noise to bother the neighbors either. You can buy a set of balls for the price of one box of 45acp ammo and it will last for years of enjoyment, instead of going pew-pew and the fun is all done in 15 minutes.

Home protection? A baseball bat should be more than sufficient or wait for the police, they will be there in a matter a minutes, you just need to be patient and wait. Lock yourself in the bathroom. They will be there any moment. Oh, the kids are screaming? They're just scared, but it will be alright the police will be there very soon...

Well done.

I honestly can't play devils advocate on this issue, as I can't honestly see why anyone would want to give up a god forsaken rite. Let alone take away everyone else's.

If someone chooses not to utilize a rite, that's there choice, and theirs alone. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Attempting to take away mine? We have a problem.

You almost had me convinced to turn in my guns at the next Ceasefire Gun Buyback in trade for Bed, Bath and Beyond gift cards. But what is going to happen to the game population if hunters aren't helping keep it in check? There could be widespread problems with the forest critters. While bocce ball sounds like good fun what happens if the kids get a hold of the bocce balls when I am away, they sound dangerous to me. A baseball bat could be a great close in weapon but what if the intruder doesn't get the memo and shows up with a gun anyways. My bathroom door is not bullet proof and my kids doors are not bullet proof either. Worse is if I am at the my vacation home, will the bathroom door hold for the 45mins to an hour it might take for law enforcement to show up. I think I will just hang on to my guns for now, thanks for the advice though.

Are you saying that the folks here , in this ( our ) forum are not the "right crowd" to try and develop your debate and critical thinking skills....?
Not sure what was meant by your post....

All I was trying to say in my post which you quoted was :
Be genuine in the attempt to understand where the other guy is coming from...
And
Be respectful in your comments and replies...
Andy

The late economist Milton Friedman once said "Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." Replace "free market" with other freedoms, such as RKBA, and the statement still holds true. Those that wish to violate our rights, at some fundamental level, have a problem with their fellow citizens exercising their rights and running their life as they wish. As such, I cannot think of an even remotely convincing argument on this topic.

Are you saying that the folks here , in this forum are not the "right crowd" to try and develop your debate and critical thinking skills....?
Not sure what was meant by your post....

All I was trying to say in my post which you quoted was :
Be genuine in the attempt to understand where the other guy is coming from...
And
Be respectful in your comments and replies...
Andy
Yes, that was my thought. It wasn't anything you said, I am just thinking it might be better to just dive right in at place where my target audience might be hanging out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top