JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We lived on a salt water bay off of Puget Sound near Bremerton WA. I always pulled in something when fishing and sometime many on cutthroat and perch runs. I decided to try the Columbia river since I am only a couple of miles from, what my friends say, are great fishing spots. Tried for a couple of years and gave up - not one catch. I decided that it was just an excuse to drink beer.

One of these years I'll be elligible for the Pioneer license, then the ODFW will only steal $6 from me as the cost of the "free" license!

Yah! Tell me about it. After a lifetime of looking forward to it, I finally get there, and our free license was stolen by Ms. Brown!
Piggybacked rant over.

We lived on a salt water bay off of Puget Sound near Bremerton WA. I always pulled in something when fishing and sometime many on cutthroat and perch runs. I decided to try the Columbia river since I am only a couple of miles from, what my friends say, are great fishing spots. Tried for a couple of years and gave up - not one catch. I decided that it was just an excuse to drink beer.
Fishing the Columbia is much like Hunting in WA. You really need to have a friend with a place to go. Not EVERY pullout along the River is a great place to find Fish. Some(most) are simply places to View the Mighty Columbia!

Fishing the Columbia is much like Hunting in WA. You really need to have a friend with a place to go. Not EVERY pullout along the River is a great place to find Fish. Some(most) are simply places to View the Mighty Columbia!
The good spots are native fishing grounds now... just sayin'

Baseacegoku, tight lines brother. I was down fishing on the Upper Deschutes Saturday evening. I was there with family. My son hooked into a 25"ish brown trout. He had his 6yr old son join in and bring it in. Which was a catch and release. All we heard was "Papa, I caught a huge german shepard brown"... LOL , My grandson lives and breathes fishing. We literally seen him struggling to land that fish, we will never forget the show. The evening before I shared with him some pictures of my wife and I fly fishing in Alaska, to which he said "Wow!, those are small fish Papa", to which I replied, bigger than you are right now buddy! any who, grand daughter hooked into her first monster brown, with a rapala. Good fight, but that brown won the day. Guessing it was in 25''- 30'' category. She's hooked. Fly fishing, is the ultimate in fishing. Hey, chief, if you ever get the chance to go fly fishing for bass, you'll be hooked forever.

Steelhead fishing: Drive 2hrs to get to favorite hole, take tackle box down the bank to water, shoulder your way into a spot next to other anglers, open tackle box and dump half your stuff into river, go back to car and drive to local bar, drink Seagrams the rest of day... You accomplish the same thing and have a much better time!!! :p:D:D

But you didn't drink beer with the fishy people that know how and DO catch fish.;)

Been fishing a handful of times. But never really landed anything. Today I was out fly fishing (which I'm learning by reading and asking questions, thank you everyone including @Flymph ) and I hooked my first fish! With the help of my wife I was able to land the little guy. Based on what I read later today he was a Kokanee and I could have kept him but I didn't know at the time so I erred on the side of caution and let him go. I'm totally hooked.( All puns intended) now I need a 7wt pole so I can go for bigger fishes too. View attachment 603920

It can be a rush, especially if you are fly fishing, which is a game of chess ended by either fine dining or takeout.

Now @Caveman Jim is going to start stalking you to go fishing with him...

I hate chess.

@Caveman Jim I like... I think, actually I've never met him. I think he lives somewhere that owning a raincoat is mandatory!

I have had the pleasure of meeting @Caveman Jim , and yes, you would like him in person. I'd be careful about that raincoat, though. This is reputed to be former Portland Mayor Bud Clark doing his impression of @Caveman Jim . Just make sure you bait your own hook.
1564440000123.png

You must have missed the "what my friends say, are great fishing spots". The spots that I went to were recommended by fisherman that happen to be my friends. They say that they catch fish all of the time, and I went with a few. No results for either of us. Maybe I am bad luck on fresh water.

You must have missed the "what my friends say, are great fishing spots". The spots that I went to were recommended by fisherman that happen to be my friends. They say that they catch fish all of the time, and I went with a few. No results for either of us. Maybe I am bad luck on fresh water.
I seem to have missed something. Sorry!

It's like when I go fishing with my GF, I only catch decent fish while she isn't looking...
I've come to the point where I just want to leave her at home, but don't because the view is amazing!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top