JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wrote a long, thoughtful, useful post, probably took a half-hour to type. When I clicked, "submit", the system tells me I cannot post because I need to log in, even though I had already logged in and clicked, "remember me." The system has some kind of timeout that kicks a slow-typer out, even while still typing.

So, I log in again and click submit, and now the system tells me that I cannot submit since I wrote it before I logged in! The whole epic post cannot be submitted or saved. POOF! It's all gone.

The worst part is that this has happened before, and I have posted a similar protest post as this one before. As before, I ask WHY MUST THIS TIMEOUT PREVENT LONG POSTS? Must I be punished for typing slowly and thoughtfully? Am I hogging bandwidth by keeping the post window open? WHY NOT SHUT OFF THE TIMEOUT FUNCTION!......................elsullo :(

Man that drives me crazy. Usually when I sign in again, it will take me back to my posts though. I think there is a way to turn that off...but I forgot how to do it. That happens to me all the time. :angry:

After much heartache I learned awhile ago that before I click "submit" I select and copy my post... just in case.

It's a pain, I know... But if it's worth thoughtfully typing out, it's worth a quick copy.

The timeout function isnt about bandwith, it's about privacy. If someone is using a public computer and forgets to logout, their account is now open to everyone that comes behind him to post, read personal details, etc.

I, too have had this problem.

I now write out my post on E-Mail (like I'm going to send a message) then copy it & post it on the thread.

This is kind of a pain, but it works!:D

Man that drives me crazy. Usually when I sign in again, it will take me back to my posts though. I think there is a way to turn that off...but I forgot how to do it. That happens to me all the time. :angry:

After the second signin, it will take me back to the post---but it will not allow me to SUBMIT the post, and there is no way to save it or add an attachment to make it new. Nothing. POOF!......................elsullo :(

Sometimes I'll open WordPad in a small window so I can refer back to the post I'm responding to as I type.

Copy & Paste are your two best friends.

Wordpad is good but sometimes you can also hit your backspace key a few times and return to the unsubmitted message, then copy and paste it to word

Type putting together your post on the note board in windows, or in Word, then multi-window,or cut and paste.. works great for longer posts and let's you edit ahead of time.. plus spell check..

when I log in, I always select the "keep me signed in" or "remember me" tickbox.... and I've always been able to type long-winded posts and never had it time out. Maybe you''ve got some preference set in your own browser...... not sure. But you might check. Also, as suggested, I will sometimes copy/save the text onto my notepad... if it poofs, I've got it. Find the thread again, open a NEW window to reply, hit paste, and it should fly. One other thing.. I usually just use the "post quickl reply" button at the bottom of each thread's page. Why? Its always there, easy to find.... and quick. I've never had that time out (though I expect there are some who wich it would....)

After much heartache I learned awhile ago that before I click "submit" I select and copy my post... just in case... etc.

Great web sight but it does have it's flaws. I will continue to support it but there is nothing that is perfect. Copy just in case if I do get kicked off and then paste once I am back on.

SF-

when I log in, I always select the "keep me signed in" or "remember me" tickbox.... and I've always been able to type long-winded posts and never had it time out.

+1

The check box keeps you logged in a long time. If someone is really interested I can find out how long the cookie (that's how the website persists the your login in your browser) is valid. This site sets a few cookies on your computer.

Some forums have options in the backend where you can basically have a "never time out"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top