Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I broke my Glock

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Kimber Custom, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Went to USPSA match at DRRC yesterday: 'Shooter ready?' BEEP - bang! Double feed. Clear - bang! Double feed.

Broken extractor put an early day to my competition.

The big pucker factor for me was I shoot my EDC in competition. I took a class not 3 weeks ago and my gun ran flawlessly. I don't clear my gun at night but manually cycling through rounds didn't exhibit the problem. I don't know when or how the extractor broke but I can only think of one worse time for it to happen...

Guess this is just a public service announcement to inspect your EDC from time to time and make sure you shoot it often.

Stomper, BoonDocks36, RicInOR and 9 others like this.
  2. cmica

cmica puy Active Member

gotta get a real gun...1911 is the only way;)

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good to know. Could happen with a lot of different guns I imagine.

So what was broken? Just the tip where it grabs the case? Or was it gone altogether? And do you only shoot factory ammo? Or have you run potentially hot hand loads?

It would be good to know some background so maybe we can know what to look for that might have caused something like this to happen.

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

A New York reload is the only way to go.

WilliamIV, Tikkakoski, orygun and 5 others like this.
  5. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Just a small corner of the extractor broke but enough to cause the failure and be hard to see in the field.

Blazer brass factory loads.

BoonDocks36 and etrain16 like this.
  6. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

Given your recent experience....Is what I heard still true ??

That even a broken Glock is still accurate at least twice a day?

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

^^^^Well, that was just a little mean spirited now, wasn't it?

Still, a custom kimber would seem more appropriate!;)

8. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Approx how many rounds did it take for that to break? Not a Block owner but curious...

blackadder likes this.
  9. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I hate it when I get Glock-blocked. :D

10. MEP1000

MEP1000 Milwaukie Active Member

Generally speaking Glocks will still run fine when the extractor is chipped, especially the .45's. Glad you caught it when you did. Maybe a complete tear down is due to make sure there aren't any other problems!!!!!

11. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Perhaps it would have worked flawlessly if you had held it properly and let gravity assist the extractor? ;)
    courtesy-indiatimes.com_.jpg

Seriously, that's one of those WTFs that I'd be glad to find. Too bad it was in a match.

Brutus57 likes this.
  12. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

1911 extractors never break?

Or jam?

News to me!

13. Raidingtime

Raidingtime SE Portland Oregon Well-Known Member

I think this guy had a similar issue compared to yours

etrain16 likes this.
  14. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

I have nine 1911's. Four are original 1911 A1's.
    For carry and defense a Glock is better.

But don't feel bad. A Cavemen would still think a flint stone is the best way to make fire! :s0140:
    All I can tell him is ''Evolve''!

DSCN0721.JPG

Stomper, Khalsa, Norm0931 and 5 others like this.
  15. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

In all fairness to the 1911, it was designed over 100 years ago as a military weapon of war. It was not designed to be a compact concealed carry gun. To serve as such requires considerable modifications to the original design, whereas a Glock was designed for that purpose from the beginning.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  16. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That way he would know it wasn't going to work when he bought it.

Two of my gunsmith friends say the most common handgun they have to work on right off the shelf are Kimbers.

YMMV

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  17. NSDQ

NSDQ NW Portland, Oregon Active Member

When I look at people that carry 1911's in 2015, I laugh. Sometimes I laugh straight to their faces. There really isn't any reason to EDC anything other than a Glock 19 or a Glock 26.

If you've ever been in a real gun fight with pistols, you'll find out that you need more than 7+1. I'm not even going to get into the long debate about how 9mm JHP expansion puts the round just slightly under the .45 ACP in wound channel capability.

The only reason why the .45 ACP continues perpetuate itself as this mythical alpha round is uneducated Veterans who come to gun ranges boasting how great it was in WW2, Vietnam, ETC ETC. Only that in modern times we have modern ammunition and that JHP is prohibited due to international law/treaties. Idiot civilians oh GEE golly my special forces friend/marine recon friend/navy seal/ etc etc friend said the .45 is the man mode round.... and the myth keeps perpetuating itself.

I'm not talking out of my bubblegum. I've treated over 500 GSW's. A quarter of those cases were from hand guns. Hollowpoint wounds have almost the same wound channels. In fact 9mm up to .45acp is almost identifical. SO the real question is why carry a heavy, low capacity, tempermental, archaic design? Coolness and nostalgia. Thats it. My Wilson Combat is a safe queen. My Glock is my EDC.

18. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Ummm....yes, you are talking out of your asss, at least on the .45 vs 9 mike mike. The 1911 part not so much.
    Science, math, and real world data proves the .45 American superior to .35 Kraut.
    Your mileage won't vary.

Brutus57, edslhead and U201491 like this.
  19. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Fail. Gravity pulls down, her ejection port is facing up (I noticed she was holding a gun the 4th time I looked at the picture).

20. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

If you read his post, he is a doctor who has treated over 500 gunshot wounds.

When it comes to comparing the real world effectiveness of modern combat handgun ammunition, I'm going to give a lot more credibility to the opinion of someone who has actually treated 500 gunshot wounds than to someone who is reading ballistic tables and comparing expansion rates in blocks of gelatin.