JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to USPSA match at DRRC yesterday: 'Shooter ready?' BEEP - bang! Double feed. Clear - bang! Double feed.

Broken extractor put an early day to my competition.

The big pucker factor for me was I shoot my EDC in competition. I took a class not 3 weeks ago and my gun ran flawlessly. I don't clear my gun at night but manually cycling through rounds didn't exhibit the problem. I don't know when or how the extractor broke but I can only think of one worse time for it to happen...

Guess this is just a public service announcement to inspect your EDC from time to time and make sure you shoot it often.

Good to know. Could happen with a lot of different guns I imagine.

So what was broken? Just the tip where it grabs the case? Or was it gone altogether? And do you only shoot factory ammo? Or have you run potentially hot hand loads?

It would be good to know some background so maybe we can know what to look for that might have caused something like this to happen.

Approx how many rounds did it take for that to break? Not a Block owner but curious...

Generally speaking Glocks will still run fine when the extractor is chipped, especially the .45's. Glad you caught it when you did. Maybe a complete tear down is due to make sure there aren't any other problems!!!!!

Perhaps it would have worked flawlessly if you had held it properly and let gravity assist the extractor? ;)
courtesy-indiatimes.com_.jpg

Seriously, that's one of those WTFs that I'd be glad to find. Too bad it was in a match.

In all fairness to the 1911, it was designed over 100 years ago as a military weapon of war. It was not designed to be a compact concealed carry gun. To serve as such requires considerable modifications to the original design, whereas a Glock was designed for that purpose from the beginning.

^^^^Well, that was just a little mean spirited now, wasn't it?

Still, a custom kimber would seem more appropriate!;)

That way he would know it wasn't going to work when he bought it.

Two of my gunsmith friends say the most common handgun they have to work on right off the shelf are Kimbers.

YMMV

When I look at people that carry 1911's in 2015, I laugh. Sometimes I laugh straight to their faces. There really isn't any reason to EDC anything other than a Glock 19 or a Glock 26.

If you've ever been in a real gun fight with pistols, you'll find out that you need more than 7+1. I'm not even going to get into the long debate about how 9mm JHP expansion puts the round just slightly under the .45 ACP in wound channel capability.

The only reason why the .45 ACP continues perpetuate itself as this mythical alpha round is uneducated Veterans who come to gun ranges boasting how great it was in WW2, Vietnam, ETC ETC. Only that in modern times we have modern ammunition and that JHP is prohibited due to international law/treaties. Idiot civilians oh GEE golly my special forces friend/marine recon friend/navy seal/ etc etc friend said the .45 is the man mode round.... and the myth keeps perpetuating itself.

I'm not talking out of my bubblegum. I've treated over 500 GSW's. A quarter of those cases were from hand guns. Hollowpoint wounds have almost the same wound channels. In fact 9mm up to .45acp is almost identifical. SO the real question is why carry a heavy, low capacity, tempermental, archaic design? Coolness and nostalgia. Thats it. My Wilson Combat is a safe queen. My Glock is my EDC.

Ummm....yes, you are talking out of your asss, at least on the .45 vs 9 mike mike. The 1911 part not so much.
Science, math, and real world data proves the .45 American superior to .35 Kraut.
Your mileage won't vary.

Ummm....yes, you are talking out of your asss, at least on the .45 vs 9 mike mike. The 1911 part not so much.
Science, math, and real world data proves the .45 American superior to .35 Kraut.
Your mileage won't vary.
If you read his post, he is a doctor who has treated over 500 gunshot wounds.

When it comes to comparing the real world effectiveness of modern combat handgun ammunition, I'm going to give a lot more credibility to the opinion of someone who has actually treated 500 gunshot wounds than to someone who is reading ballistic tables and comparing expansion rates in blocks of gelatin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top